Why are YOU losing weight? <3

beckeelouisee said:
Ive got a holiday booked with my boyfriend at the end of August and I want him to look at me not all the pretty girls around!

Although I need to lose weight for myself looking good on holiday with my boyfriend is a big motivator for me too!

We're hoping to book a week away in August (our first beach holiday) and I also want to feel confident on the beach & I want my boyf to see my in my bikini and have his eyes glued to my with amazement & sheer pride!

Good luck hun x

This thread is really inspiring, good luck to everyone - doing fantastic already too!

I'm doing SW, I'm losing weight. There are a million different things that will be results from losing weight, but the reason I'm doing it? Because I was finally ready to try.

1. I want to stop my sleep apnea.
2. I want to stop feeling like a old person in my bones.
3. I want to fit into Cupcake Cult t-shirts and Hell Bunny dresses :D
4. I want more confidence.

Because I constantly have a bad back, it relly hurts my feet if im walking around for more than an hour (Thank god I dont have a job where i'm on my feet all day!) and I want to like what I see in the mirror, and I want my boyfriend to think I look nice!

I damaged my knee whilst ice skating about 8wks ago, and it is possible I may need an operation to investigate/sort it out. I want to be in the best possible shape to undergo anaesthetic. It also means until I've seen a consultant I can't do my exercise of choice. Exercise is NOT my first love...
Also I'm always struggling with anxiety, i'm not on any meds and usually manage really well. Until I get stressed! Then I hit the sugar, which worsens the anxiety and lands me in a vicious circle... Cutting it down is so hard though.
I also want to give a good healthy living example to my kids.
And I want to loose weight off my boobs. I may be one of the few women to say that but GG cups on a 1.5m frame is not nice. Well the weight needs to come off everywhere really! I don't like looking in the mirror at the moment at all.

Nothing as life shattering as some ladies above have posted, neither has it been a sudden eye opening rather a slow process of gathering enough motivation to say this is it! No more!

Good luck everyone.

Health reasons - extra weight has an awful effect on my asthma and bad food/drink choices has an awful effect on both my asthma and eczema.

Mental health reasons - I just want to feel happy in myself again. I want to want to go out and wear the pretty clothes I have instead of worrying how I look in them.

Also, after my accident in April I have felt that my recovery may have been easier if I wasn't as heavy. I have asked all doctors, consultants and physios involved and all of them have denied this fact but I just feel that if I wasn't as heavy and was already maintaining a healthy lifestyle that I wouldn't have fallen so hard off the wagon in the last 5 months.

I also feel like I have to take back my body from my injuries. The last 5 months have been about my injuries and my recovery. I want to take my body back from that and make it better.

I've always been big and unhappy with my weight though I managed to hide it up until just short of two years ago. I overheard my grandad saying how big I was to my man and it broke my heart. I was 17 and a half stone and had been diagnosed with PCOS and wanted to lose weight as my boyfriend and I were wanting to try for a baby. I lost 2 stone, hit a plateau and stayed at that weight and conceived my son in august last year. I ate healthily during my pregnancy as I didn't want to put myself at even more risk of gestational diabetes and a bigger baby (they automatically classed me as high risk due to my BMI, but I couldn't have had a more 'normal' pregnancy I I'd tried!) and I only gained a stone and a half, which I had lost a week after giving birth. My boyfriend had proposed on Christmas day and so as well as wanting to lose weight to be healthy for my little boy and to look good in my weding dress, I also wanted to make sure I was in the healthy BMI range for my weight so that next time I get pregnant I won't automatically be classed as high risk. I joined slimming world when my son turned 8 weeks old an I've lost 1 stone 10.5lbs since then (a total of 3 stone 3.5lbs since I gave birth to jack) and I'm so pleased. I still have at least another 3 stone to go until I'm at target. I want to be a size 12 (I got to a 12 for a few months over 7 years ago when I was 19 and weighed 11.5 stone) so I'm hoping 10.5 stone will bring me to a healthy BMI and a comfortable size 12 :) there is also a history of diabetes, heart disease and cancer in my family so I want to reduce my chances of developing those and, as much as I love my mum, I don't want to get as big as her either. Ive just managed to get her to join SW with me and she's lost 9lbs and I'm so proud of her, so I just hope she keeps it up and stays at it. She says she will as she wants to be healthy for her new grandson, I only hope she wants it enough. Good luck to everyone, some really inspiring posts on here and I felt I could relate to a lot of you. Xx

I've never been slim and have always wished I could be thinner but it's got to the stage where I look at photos from the age of 15+ and wish I could be that size- I wish I could be overweight rather than obese!! Crazy! I have an amazing boyfriend who loves me whatever size I am and for the first time losing weight is for me and nobody else. I want to buy size 12 jeans off the rack, I want to pose for pictures with my friends without sucking in my stomach and praying I've only got the one chin on display, I want to be healthy. I can't think of a better reason than that xx

I am 52 and like most people I used to be able to eat what I wanted without putting weight on. Obviously, as the years progressed I started to get heavier but never considered it a problem. I didn't see many recent photographs of myself and it was only on holidays and I saw that things were getting worse. I was struggling to get up stairs and running for a bus was a non starter.

The final straw was a free NHS checkup I received at the doctors. Everything was in order except the weight which was approx 3 stone above what it should be. I decided it was time for action!

A couple of ladies at work were slimming so I spoke to one I knew particularly well. She told me all about Slimming World and it sounded perfect for me so I joined our local group. I am very pleased with the results and the Consultant and group are fantastic.
I have lost 1st 2.5lb in seven weeks which is far better than I thought possible. I intend to continue onto my target and stay as a member as I love the social aspect of the group.

What a great way to lose weight and enjoy yourself too !!

Bossman

I rejoined Slimming World in February 2011 for the third time and swore it would be my last. I haven't missed a class since. I never book holidays even if I'm sick I at least go and get weighed, that's my way of controlling my eating habits and I find it a necessity.

In the subsequent 5 months I lost 3 stones and called my target in July 2012 at 13st6lbs. I really believed that I was happy at that weight. That was until I booked a holiday to Greece for my fiance's birthday on 10th October this year. I remembered why I rejoined in the first place.

You see, we went to Thailand on our first holiday together in June 2010 and my weight made the holiday very uncomfortable for me. I had to constantly get showered and changed and all of my clothes were too tight (despite only having bought them 4 months before). However, I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and experienced some truly amazing things whilst there.

It was only when we came home and got our photographs developed that the real shock hit me. I was HUGE. I vowed that I wouldn't get any bigger so I would go back to class as soon as Christmas was over. So I did.

Booking for Greece has made me look at myself in the mirror again and think, am I really happy in a swimsuit? The answer is no. I asked myself that 12 weeks ago, and since then have lost 1st5lbs (I had crept up from target by 11lbs at the time). I would like to lose at least 1lb a week until our holiday which is now 6 weeks away. My current weight is 12st13lb and falling and I have never felt so at ease with the plan. Hope to find some like minded people to share my journey with.

Here's to positivity, having faith in the plan and finally getting to where we wanna be!

Vikki :)

For health - have backproblems from an injury and any weightloss will help pain and would love to conceive
For looks - never been this big before 17st 6lb and although I don't consider a size 20 huge, would love to wear prettier better fitting clothes that make my OH go *switswoo!*

I want to lose weight so that I'm not out of breath climbing one flight of stairs at work. I no longer want to feel that the people at my daughters school are looking at me, snickering and talking about me (she only started on Wed last week and it's obvious that people are looking down their nose at me) I want to not have to ask for a seat belt extension on the plane. I'd like to be able to buy from any shop in Meadowhall (big shopping centre in Sheffield)

I'd like to be able to buy nice, fitted tailored clothes for work. I'd like to be taken seriously as a professional. I was once told by someone I worked with that the boss said "If she doesn't have the will power not to stuff her face then she's obviously weak willed, lazy and wont do a good job" despite me doing better than anyone that had ever held the post before me.

I want to look 32 instead of 52.

I could seriously go one for ages and ages. My weight loss journey starts tomorrow when I go to be weighed and join sw. I've just made my lunch for work and stocked up on fruit to take with me for picking on through the day. I WILL DO THIS!

I want to lose weight so that I'm not out of breath climbing one flight of stairs at work. I no longer want to feel that the people at my daughters school are looking at me, snickering and talking about me (she only started on Wed last week and it's obvious that people are looking down their nose at me) I want to not have to ask for a seat belt extension on the plane. I'd like to be able to buy from any shop in Meadowhall (big shopping centre in Sheffield)

I'd like to be able to buy nice, fitted tailored clothes for work. I'd like to be taken seriously as a professional. I was once told by someone I worked with that the boss said "If she doesn't have the will power not to stuff her face then she's obviously weak willed, lazy and wont do a good job" despite me doing better than anyone that had ever held the post before me.

I want to look 32 instead of 52.

I could seriously go one for ages and ages. My weight loss journey starts tomorrow when I go to be weighed and join sw. I've just made my lunch for work and stocked up on fruit to take with me for picking on through the day. I WILL DO THIS!

Good Luck - finding the resolve and getting your mind in the right place is definitely the hardest thing to do but once you're there (and you seem to be) it will all fall into place while the pounds fall away.

Thank you. I feel really committed this time (or do I need to be committed?) It's not been too hard this week and I've lost 5lbs so it's obviously working :)

I have lots of reasons - 1) vanity, I want to look good and I want other people to think I look good!! 2) I want to feel more confident, I know OH thinks I look gorgeous no matter what, but if I don't feel good then what difference does it make? 3) clothes - I cannot wait to try on things in a size 10-12 and actually think they look good - rather than buying the because they fit!! 4) and this is much more recent, I want to be and FEEL more healthy - for the first time ever I was becoming out of breath v.easily and having knee pain when walking far!

Good luck everyone, and whatever reasons you have for losing weight, they are important to you, so sod what everyone else thinks!!! Xxxx

I am losing weight for a number of reasons. 1 being my son. I dont want to be a mother who cant chase after her son if he runs off, or who cant play because she is tired after a couple of minutes. I want to be a fun mum who can just keep going and always know I have done all I can for my son to have a whole heap of fun each day. Also to give him a positive outlook I guess, as Ive never been very positive with how Im feeling about myself and I dont want him to be the same. I also dont want him to be ashamed of me when he starts school, or brings friends over.
2 being my husband. We met online, he came halfway across the world to be with me and I was comfortable-ish with myself. I was overweight but not to the extreme that I was 3 months ago. I was in a size 16 but not that big really, didnt look it (now that I look back at pics I see I wasnt so big at all). Looking back at photos of myself in those early days and I looked pretty, and happy. I want to be that woman again, and have a husband happy to walk down the street with me and be like hey you, this is my mrs aint she hot lol. :giggle:I also want him to complement me again as I dont get that very often anymore, I have to push and push to get one out of him. These days when I was how I look he nods, gee thanks that makes me feel good lol.

3rd is myself. I dont feel confident in myself at all, I dont like how I look and also how I look in clothes. I want to be able to wear nice things, pretty things and it look nice. Dont want anything fancy but just to be able to look in the mirror and say yep this is me, and damn girl you are looking good! It always sticks in my mind, one time when I was about 17/18 and a friend of my Dad's came over and he said my sister was beautiful (she was 13/14 at the time) and someone had to prompt him as I was sitting there too and he said oh and she has nice hair.. I wouldnt have cared much but I had had a hair dye disaster that week and had pink/orangey yellow hair! So yeah that has stuck with me. I know my sister is the prettiest of us, but Im not so bad myself, and I will one day receive a genuine compliment I hope. That all sounds a bit sad now putting it out there but there we go. Also after the pregnancy with my son Ive been left with an apron which I do not want! I need a smaller tummy so clothes fit better. Right now I think Im going to end up 1 size on top and another bigger size on bottom due to my tummy as nothing fits right so fits at the tummy but too baggy on the legs/bum!

I am losing weight for a number of reasons. 1 being my son. I dont want to be a mother who cant chase after her son if he runs off, or who cant play because she is tired after a couple of minutes. I want to be a fun mum who can just keep going and always know I have done all I can for my son to have a whole heap of fun each day. Also to give him a positive outlook I guess, as Ive never been very positive with how Im feeling about myself and I dont want him to be the same. I also dont want him to be ashamed of me when he starts school, or brings friends over.
2 being my husband. We met online, he came halfway across the world to be with me and I was comfortable-ish with myself. I was overweight but not to the extreme that I was 3 months ago. I was in a size 16 but not that big really, didnt look it (now that I look back at pics I see I wasnt so big at all). Looking back at photos of myself in those early days and I looked pretty, and happy. I want to be that woman again, and have a husband happy to walk down the street with me and be like hey you, this is my mrs aint she hot lol. :giggle:I also want him to complement me again as I dont get that very often anymore, I have to push and push to get one out of him. These days when I was how I look he nods, gee thanks that makes me feel good lol.

3rd is myself. I dont feel confident in myself at all, I dont like how I look and also how I look in clothes. I want to be able to wear nice things, pretty things and it look nice. Dont want anything fancy but just to be able to look in the mirror and say yep this is me, and damn girl you are looking good! It always sticks in my mind, one time when I was about 17/18 and a friend of my Dad's came over and he said my sister was beautiful (she was 13/14 at the time) and someone had to prompt him as I was sitting there too and he said oh and she has nice hair.. I wouldnt have cared much but I had had a hair dye disaster that week and had pink/orangey yellow hair! So yeah that has stuck with me. I know my sister is the prettiest of us, but Im not so bad myself, and I will one day receive a genuine compliment I hope. That all sounds a bit sad now putting it out there but there we go. Also after the pregnancy with my son Ive been left with an apron which I do not want! I need a smaller tummy so clothes fit better. Right now I think Im going to end up 1 size on top and another bigger size on bottom due to my tummy as nothing fits right so fits at the tummy but too baggy on the legs/bum!
Great that you are changing but put yourself number at least number 2 - I understand why you put your child at number 1 as that was the main reason I wanted to drop some weight. I started to see my eldest get a little podgy about age 3 as I weaned her and 2 years after her sister was born I realised if I didn't change I'd give then a life of being overweight/obese.
Put yourself first - cos the changes you'll make will amaze you .

Hiya
Reading some of theses stories is almost emotional, and I wish every single one of you luck with your weigh loss :)
I had a few reasons for wanting to lose the weight and I wrote them down the day after starting slimming world, here they are for you :)
Firstly when I went to Uni I was happy and a slim size 10, I had boobs and Hips and always will I get them off my mum and generally once I get to a size 8/10 I look very slim but still curvy. I am now in my final year and I'm a size 18 :( I want to graduate and look at the pictures with pride, and not have the memory tainted by my weight gain :)
Secondly, I want to give my OH back the girl he met, he would never complain but I know he hates how self concious and insecure I have become, I don't want to go anywhere any more because its easier to hide away in the house, I'm mardy and miserable a lot of the time cos I'm so down with my weight and I'm starting to develop trust issues, not because of him, more because I don't feel worth of him any more. I don't want my weigh to ruin our relationship.
And Finally, my weight now makes me physically uncomfortable, my legs chaff, hot weather makes walking for long periods of time impossible, I can't take part in any exercise and I sometimes eat so much I'm physically sick.

Back