Why aren't I losing weight?

alipally

Serial Dieter!
Right I need to know if someone else has this problem....
For those of you who don't know me I should say that I'm CC and lost 7.5stone 18 months ago using sole source. I've since put all of it back on:cry: I've tried and failed to do SS and decided to just use it as a kick start to a more manageable and social way to lose weight.

for the past month or so, I have been as good as gold... did one week of Sole source, then I've done 3 weeks of 1000-1200 calories per day, everyday. I've kept a food diary, weighed and measured everything I've eaten.I have NOT strayed from the path
I've been walking 3+ miles per day with the dog at a fair old pace. ... I've been EVERYDAY... I'm planning on starting a weight training programme with a personal trainer next week.

However despite all the effort my weight loss log looks like this
Wk 1 Lost 14lb (!) Remember this was sole source
Wk 2 Lost 2 lb... OK not bad
Wk 3 Lost NOTHING!! :confused: :(
Wk 4 Lost NOTHING AGAIN!:confused:

What's up with me? according to Weightlossresources.co.uk I should be able to eat 1700 calories and lose 2lb per week??/

Has sole source completely messed up my metabolism??? Will it ever get back to normal, will I have to do Sole source in order to lose ANY WEIGHT??
Has anyone else had this problem following long term use of a VLCD?
I've looked up all the research I've got and it suggests that metabolism returns to normal after around 2 months of 'normal' eating

.Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm not ready to give up, but if it carries on for another week or two, I'll go mad!!! :sigh:

Hey baby

Have you considered the fact that your body may just be adjusting?? You have lost over 16 lbs in four weeks, which is ruddy marvellous, so perhaps water retention/adjustment time?

xx

Hi Ali. I remember you :)

Okay. So my calculations say that you have reduced your calories over the 4 weeks enough to lose about 4lbs a week.

That will equal 16lbs. Which is exactly what you have lost.

I'm thinking that the reason why you haven't lost in the last two weeks is because a lot of the first weeks loss would have been glycogen (as you were low carbing).

The following 3 weeks you were probably replenishing your glycogen with added carbs, and so although still losing, the scales would have remained constant....balancing it all out.

Of course, if you carry on at 1,100 approx, you should go back to losing (with the scales reflecting this), now your glycogen stores are probably full again.

Hope that makes sense.:)

Ali, Ali, Ali :p

So good to hear from you, funny was thinking bout you recently wondering where you'd got to...

You've had some good advise already, hold onto the thought that you've lost 16 in a Month, and havnt gained anything whilst you have been eating...

tried to send you a pm or email but it wont allow me :eek: Not sure if you can email or pm me, if you can please do, and we can catch up :D

How did your sister do?

Take care of yourself
love
geri
x

Hiya Hunny,

OMG feel so guilty that I haven't emailed you now. Give me a ring tomorrow and we can arrange to get together for a coffee when you are free.

I think the others are right and your body is just catching up.

Kisses for Sasha xxx

Hugs for you

xxxxx

Ali !!!!!!!!!!!

great to hear from you - remember you from bootcamp.

cant really add much more to what the guys have said, agree with KD and glycogen.

Stcik with it - you will get results - you are doing great

good luck with the personal trainer - is it a he and is he fit !!!! - (just read that - you know what i mean)

oh yeah - i remember you talking about your sister - she lost 10+ stones as well !!!!

I knew the reasons really!!!

I did honestly!:rolleyes:
It just never occurred to me that the same rules would apply to me too!:eek:
yep the whole glycogen thing makes sense.....Thanks KD

I'm just going to stay on this path and see what happens over the next month... I really want to be able to fit into any of my summer clothes... ( No chance this year really, I'm a good size 22 at the moment and all last summer's clothes are 14/16:eek: )

All of your replies reminds me of why I should post more often, it's really helped me feel that I'm not alone in these daily struggles with food:D

I'm still feeling embarrassed that I couldn't maintain my losses in any sort of long term way, so it's back to the drawing board. I'm sort of getting over myself now, but it's not easy, I have to say.
I promise to post more often and to help where I can.

Hey You

Totally understand how you feel - but you are a very strong lady.

i remember when i first started lighter life and announcing to my entire family how much I weigh and how I am going to lose it all.

i am still here - 4 years later - not making much progress weight wise but do feel better abuot myself most days

At least you have had a weight loss success and you shoudl be able to have strong visualisations of where you want to get to cause you have been there.

Keep strong and have faith

Thanks DQ and Shazza! I know that it's right
I'm just impatient for results.... it was only 12 months ago that I was just 21lbs off target!

I now have 8 stones to lose:rolleyes: Can't think how that happened!!! ( might have been the Ben and Jerry's, red wine, cakes, biscuits and puddings!!)

I've changed my settings now so you can PM if you want!

Geri and Brightness! Good to know that you still remember who I am!!
I'll have a trawl through to see how you're both progressing!

lol Ali,
you won't find much progressing on me lol...

have looked through my email and have a couple of ali's not sure if one of thems you tho lol does your surname begin with g and end in n lol

Errrrr how could I forget you? It's not that long since I last saw you - is it????? :doh: :confused:

Er, lets have a look.... I believe it was January!!!

name is apple like! think pippins..... and radio 1 dj on a sunday afternoon. Cryptic I know but you'll be able to work it out!!!

lol tell you what, maybe brightness will email you my email address lol think that would be easier!!

will you do that for me brightness me darlin :p

thanks in advance!!

Hi DQ, I've been using WLR, I know that it means I have to pay but fitday just gets on my nerves!!
Well Weigh day is today and the scales have moved!!! 1.6kg lost!!! I'm sooo pleased you've no idea... Just goes to show that one weeks' numbers on the scale mean nothing in isolation it's the cumulative effect of eating less and doing more that makes the impact.... so I've lost 19lb in the last month... that'll do for me!
It's been hard keeping the faith this week and I want to thank you all :D for your sensible advice and explanations for the lack of scale movement. I have to say I ate slightly more, although not much more over the course of the week and I didn't do as much exercise as I could have.
Now I seem to have my motivation back and will be departing for the gym later on today. :p

I'm pleased with my progress thus far and I'm sure that the summer will be almost as comfortable as last year's (although I anticipate still being around 2 stone heavier!)
I'm feeling like I've finally got my head back around the whole losing weight thing.

Yay for you ((((((((Ali)))))))), really well done hunny :D

It's so flipping disheartening when you get on the scales and they haven't moved :( . I sometimes feel like throwing mine through the window :rolleyes:

Yep, you WILL be slim and sexy for the summer and you'll be so much more comfortable too :D . I'm sure if you don't want to go to the gym that Sasha will accompany you on a few long walks - if she can be bothered that is LMAO

My two monsters are fast asleep at the minute but I am just about to wake them up and force them out the door - that'll teach them for wanting to play when I am reading the paper hahaha.

TTYL xxxxx

Back