Why do kids never listen?

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Potatogirl, 4 June 2011 Social URL.

1. Potatogirl

Potatogirl Doesn't like to wobble!!

Start Weight:
    18st11lb
    Current Weight:
    16st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st13lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.5lb(9.7%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My daughter has just asked if her friend can stay for tea. I don't have a thing in the house as not been shopping yet so said no. My daughter who's 11 then kept asking and asking until I had to firmly say no. I hate it when they make you look the bad guy just for telling them no.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. louisedan

louisedan Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    they don't grow out of it either-dh is 55 and still at it!

4. Qua Sae

Qua Sae Full Member

Did you explain to her why you were saying no? I always found it difficult to understand why my mum would say no to me as a child & teenager. Often she'd either get more annoyed at me & shout or she'd repeat 'because I said no' over & over again. I think it would have been rather useful for her to explain to me that the reason was [insert reason here].

5. AnnaFaraday

AnnaFaraday ..

I wondered about this too. When I was a child I hated it when people wouldn't give me logical reasons for saying no (although I suspect that this was mostly because there were no logical reasons!).

I would have been tempted to say "look in the cupboards and the fridge, and if you can find something we could give your friend for tea, then she can stay".

6. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    When saying no to my children in this types of situation I would always give a reason. I would probably have said but maybe they can stay for tea, tomorrow, day after.......... when I've been shopping.

7. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I always offer an explanation to my daughter. She might not like it but I was always told "because I said so" as a child and it really annoyed me!

8. MadameLaMinx

MadameLaMinx Gold Member

My second thought was ^^ that. My first one was "what were you going to have for tea then if you had nothing in?"

9. Potatogirl

Potatogirl Doesn't like to wobble!!

Start Weight:
    18st11lb
    Current Weight:
    16st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st13lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.5lb(9.7%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ha ha ha.

Yes I did explain to her the reason why here friend couldn't stay...it was the continued attempts to get me to change my mind which was annoying.

When I said I had nothing in...I had nothing suitable for her peanut allergic friend - which I explained...I generally have to buy specific things for her because she is mighty susceptible bless her. Bloody kids.

Thanks for listening to my rant.:0)

10. nettie

nettie Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    kids hey!
    i think alot of kids at 11 arent interested in a reason they just dont understand why they cant have their own way... i must say i was soooo spoilt when i was 11 as my mum died when i was 10 so i dont ever remember my dad saying no to anything. i am now 26 with 2 children and my dad still gives me my own way... embarrassing really but i am his baby after all! thats my excuse and im sticking to it lol.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.