Why do kids never listen?

Potatogirl

There is only now
My daughter has just asked if her friend can stay for tea. I don't have a thing in the house as not been shopping yet so said no. My daughter who's 11 then kept asking and asking until I had to firmly say no. I hate it when they make you look the bad guy just for telling them no.

Did you explain to her why you were saying no? I always found it difficult to understand why my mum would say no to me as a child & teenager. Often she'd either get more annoyed at me & shout or she'd repeat 'because I said no' over & over again. I think it would have been rather useful for her to explain to me that the reason was [insert reason here].

Did you explain to her why you were saying no? - - -

I wondered about this too. When I was a child I hated it when people wouldn't give me logical reasons for saying no (although I suspect that this was mostly because there were no logical reasons!).

I would have been tempted to say "look in the cupboards and the fridge, and if you can find something we could give your friend for tea, then she can stay".

When saying no to my children in this types of situation I would always give a reason. I would probably have said but maybe they can stay for tea, tomorrow, day after.......... when I've been shopping.

I always offer an explanation to my daughter. She might not like it but I was always told "because I said so" as a child and it really annoyed me!

Ha ha ha.

Yes I did explain to her the reason why here friend couldn't stay...it was the continued attempts to get me to change my mind which was annoying.

When I said I had nothing in...I had nothing suitable for her peanut allergic friend - which I explained...I generally have to buy specific things for her because she is mighty susceptible bless her. Bloody kids.

Thanks for listening to my rant.:0)

kids hey!
i think alot of kids at 11 arent interested in a reason they just dont understand why they cant have their own way... i must say i was soooo spoilt when i was 11 as my mum died when i was 10 so i dont ever remember my dad saying no to anything. i am now 26 with 2 children and my dad still gives me my own way... embarrassing really but i am his baby after all! thats my excuse and im sticking to it lol.

Back