why do people read but not reply?

pandora

finding my way again !
i'm beginning to think what i write is not worth the effort cos i get views but not a lot of response
WHY ?

I don't know really. They do it to me all the time:eek:

I think people get used to reply to certain people :confused: Don't think it's anything to do with your efforts not being worth it!!

I know the feeling pandora but dont be put off! I guess if people think they dont have anything to add theres no point. I know I read a lot of the CD and VLCD posts but as Im not doing that diet I cant answer any of the ones with queries *S*

My diary has over 800 reads but only 79 entries so at least I know its being read. Its when your posts are totally ignored you need to worry :)

I think like Sandy has said if your getting the views obviously you must be saying something interesting.

As for getting posts, it could be for a number of reasons...some just like to read....or they may not feel they can write on your diary, you have to remind members that they are welcome to post on your diary thread.

Love Mini xxx

It's the nature of the Internet. Lots of people read but don't respond. People will often follow a discussion without actually contributing to it, particularly since this forum covers so many different areas. I read lots of posts but respond to few. If there's something in particular that I feel I can add, I will, but otherwise I would just be responding for the sake of responding.

Anyway, this is an open forum - right now there are as many guests online as there are registered users. You mustn't fret about the discrepancy between page views and number of comments. If you think something is worth writing, write it! You don't need other people to comment to validate it ;)

I must admit, i dont post often for several reasons;

I am in and out all day (i work from home), and quickly dive onto the site to have a quick look without having time to post

I feel embarassed about posting on someones thread when they already have their 'gang' of posters

I think i am quite a boring 'writer' so have nothing to write that someone would be interested in!

Sowwwwwwwwry, I am trying to post more!

Hi Pandora i am a culprit for reading but not posting, i guess i feel im not that experinced to give a comment:eek:

Hiya, I'm guilty of reading and running I'm afraid... like nce1 I feel very inexperienced (dieting wise) so I'm not sure my comments would be that useful *yet* (we're always learning aren't we)

I will endeavor to try to post more!!

hiya pandora,

i think all of us feel a bit ignored sometimes and others arent even aware its going on.

my diary only gets replies from sonkie and dizzy. i dunno why, maybe im full of cr*p and people arent interested. if thats the case, so be it. its still my journey and i cant let the interest (or lack of) from others get in the way of that.

i personally have read your diary and i think i did respond to something that got totally overlooked by everyone. lol i cant worry about it cos i am worried enough by not being able to eat. :eek:

god, once i poured out very personal things that are quite painful cos i felt it was relevant to the thread starter and could help them and i had other posters talk completely over my post about recipes!! talk about feeling raw!

ive said in a post before, i dont think people take much notice of who they are respondng to, it'll be just the topic or something like that that gets a response. it does happen to us all though. i personally get the impression you are one of the popular posters here? i do enjoy reading ur posts though i dont always respond. you aint alone, u just feel u r sometimes which is human :) xxxxx

Hmmm, guilty as charged. Actually Pandora I always enjoy your posts but sometimes I feel that you have already said exactly what I would have so I don't feel I have much ot contribute. Also this site has got so HUGE that to keep upo properly really takes some doing. I think if people are reading that is great and if they add a comment even better, either way it is of value if only for the writer to get their thoughts 'out there'.

LOve Barb xx

I know exactly what you mean. Some people's threads seem to have a "following" and that's just the way it is. I don't think it is "clickey" - it's just people get comfortable replying on certain peoples threads.

I tend to read a thread and if I have an answer that is different to anyone else's I'll post - otherwise I'll not comment.

Same as Sandy - but otherway round I don't tend to post on WW or SW threads.

Don't stop posting ..... join us on "Threadstoppers" and see if you can stop that one!!!

Your replies are certainly worth reading - and everyone should feel they have a right to their say - you might just say something someone else has not thought of.

Diary threads are different I think. They are there for the person who has written them .... and in my opinion don't always need someones elses view. We'll read them - 'cos we're a nosey lot!!! but only post if we feel appropriate. Carry on posting Cheryl, and people will reply.

And hopefully anyone else who reads who doesn't feel comfortable about replying will now do so!! If not that is fine too!!

I know it can seem frustrating that nobody seems 'interested' in what you have to say but I don't think that's the case at all. You know how it is sometimes when we have times where we feel a bit low ... pee'd off or just plain dispirited (we all have times like this on this mad rollercoaster diet): it's at times like that, I gain real inspiration and a boost to my motivation just reading some of the posts. At the same time, I just don't feel bouyant enough to give a meaningful reply and don't want to clog the thread up with a confirmation that I've read it and don't want to sound like an echo just repeating what thirty other people have already said.

On my own (erratic) diary thread, it's nice to know a few people pop their heads round the door but the primary purpose of it is for myself: I can look back on when I felt low and why, I can see how far I've come and hopfully that helps to keep me on track. If at the same time, the odd person or two reads something that strikes a chord then that's a bonus. :)

The fact that enough people find your thread compelling enough to even read it is surely an indicator as to how interested the threads are: you're inspiring many people with your thoughts and views so please keep going.

Hugs xx

Just wanted to add my thoughts, agree with what's been said that it's not a case of ignoring you or not thinking your posts are worth replying to, I try and answer threads if someone has asked a question and i can help, but if somebody else has already answered the question and I'm not saying anything different then I probably won't answer. This site has become so big since Christmas that it's not possible to answer all the posts, so I too tend to read as many posts as possible and just answer when I think I can help, or I've something to say on the matter. I contribute to a few other people's diary threads, usually after I feel i've got to know them a bit through other threads, and I know that some of the diary threads can look a bit clickey, but I honestly don't think they're meant that way. It's just the more you get to know someone through their thread, the more personal you can make your replies.

Karion Dieting started the Threadstoppers post as a joke and it's run & run and now a few of us post on it most days and update what we're doing for the day, but it's not exclusive and anyone can come along and join in the fun.

Keep posting Pandora, you have plenty of thing to say that are worthwhile and we're listening even if we're not responding.

Hiya hon

I just wanted to add my thoughts- diaries are, as RD said (I think) a different thing - mine is for me - cathartic and an outlet for my thoughts etc.. so whoever posts on there, that's fine.. but I don't tend to start other threads unless I have something important to say (which I rarely do.. lol) I read far more than I post simply because there isn't enough time to respond to everyone..

Your posts ARE always worth reading and responding to.. but you know what? I tend to focus on those threads I am subscribed to.. and that takes ages! lol So don't be disheartened.. I think its great that you have the views and your thoughts and feelings are being acknowledged by lots of anonymous readers :D Be heartened my friend.

xxxx

Hi Pandora i am a culprit for reading but not posting, i guess i feel im not that experinced to give a comment:eek:

Hiya, I'm guilty of reading and running I'm afraid... like nce1 I feel very inexperienced (dieting wise) so I'm not sure my comments would be that useful *yet* (we're always learning aren't we)

I will endeavor to try to post more!!

Everyones view is valid - and even those who feel they are not experienced in dieting can still express a point of view. Hope everyone will join in if they want to!

Another one guilty as charged. I often read and only post if what I would have responded hasn't been said already!

The absolute worst thing is to be a thread killer. You know when people are nattering away on a given thread, and you post your words of wisdom and BANG... that's it. Thread dead. No one ever says another word on that thread.

That's the absolute pits!

Another one guilty as charged. I often read and only post if what I would have responded hasn't been said already!

The absolute worst thing is to be a thread killer. You know when people are nattering away on a given thread, and you post your words of wisdom and BANG... that's it. Thread dead. No one ever says another word on that thread.

That's the absolute pits!

OMG...that's me! That's one of the reasons I started Threadstoppers
paranoid.gif
I've been known to kill whole forums by replying
ththblush.gif

Even asked Threadstoppers to help me out on one thread once and reply :D

No I'm threadstoppers queen! Trust you to try and stop this thread ... won't work!!!

LOL the funny thing is Pandora started this thread because she felt on-one replied to her!!!

Back