Why have people "demonised" carbs?!?

Daisyboo

I was at a party last night (and yes stayed in my saved syns - only 3 small glasses of wine and 2 celebrations :D) and talk came round to diets. One of my friends husbands has just lost loads of weight with W8 (like lighter life) and although I don't deny that he looks great and I'm sure losing it has loads of benefits they have turned into carb hating food fanatics!! I have given up trying to explain SW and how it IS possible to eat pasta (oh the dreaded P word!!!!) and lose weight but it's like talking to a brick wall.

I know there have been posts in the past about the science behind SW (not that I have a techy enough mind to understand it!) so obviously it is based on loads of non-biased research - so why do people think that carbs are evil, the food of the devil and to be avoided at all costs?!? ARGH!!!!

Sorry - rant over!

That was me until I started SW

Now I love the humble potato. Can't get enough of them :drool:

xx

You can blame mr atkins for that one!! I think people dont understand that if you have eaten foods that fill you, then you are less likely to give into temptation. My husband cant believe what I've been eating and have lost 8lbs so far - I keep getting questioning looks :)

Congratulations to him and I dont want to rain on his parade however is cutting out cabs an ideal long term lifestyle solution to weight loss? - me thinks not.

I love my carbs :)

I think it is because carbs ARE bad for you in large quantities - in the form of cakes, biscuit etc. People tend to lump the good carbs in with the bad and label them all the enemy. People need to realise the difference between simple and complex

xx

Yes the Atkins diet is the culprit I'm sure.

I couldn't live without a piece of toast, or a plate of spag bol and I love my curries so there is no way I will give up eating rice, and who could give up a lovely hot crispy skinned Jacket Potato, not me that's for sure - Oh yes, give me dear old SW every time, a diet that works without cutting out our favourite foods whether they are carbs or not......Long live SW I say...

Last edited:
I couldn't live without carbs, real comfort food especially in the winter. I do think you are right Toots, good and bad carbs have got lumped together under the one heading. Maybe somebody in higher places should review the term and make a clearer definition.
Anybody working for the Ministry of Health feel free to take it up.

I know there have been posts in the past about the science behind SW (not that I have a techy enough mind to understand it!) so obviously it is based on loads of non-biased research - so why do people think that carbs are evil, the food of the devil and to be avoided at all costs?!? ARGH!!!!

Sorry - rant over!

Tehee :D Yes, some diets keep low carb for other reasons, such as ketosis, and adding too many can cause problems whilst they are dieting. It would be near on impossible to do LL without reducing all carbs to a low level, but it's supposed to be just short term ie during weight loss.

But yeah, for other ways of eating, I've gotta have my carbs :clap: Can't imagine the rest of my life without them. My favourite food group :D

Because people believe what they read in the papers, or what other people tell them, without ever thinking about it properly.

Recently I have been told by various people that bread is "evil", all cheese is pure fat and should never be eaten, bananas are pure carbohydrate and should never be eaten, and aubergines are very fattening.

The one about aubergines was based on the fact that they are very oily - and nothing I could say would convince that person that this was because the aubergines had been cooked in oil, not because they were oily in themselves!

A while ago I had a pointless argument with someone who thought an egg sandwich oozing with mayonnaise was less fattening than an egg fried with Frylight and popped into a wholemeal roll - why? Well, everyone knows that fried food is bad for you!!

I have given up arguing with anyone - I just do what I think is sensible and keep quiet about it.

Back