Why is cooked fruit synned?

ginlin

Better to Drink your Syns
Why is cooked fruit synned?

I can see the reasoning that it would be very easy to overeat fruit if it were pureed or made into a smoothie, but things like a grilled slice of pineapple or a baked apple shouldn't make any difference, particularly for someone like me who eats very little fruit.

Hi there

Its down to the fact that once cooked the structure of the fruit changes and that alters the way your body digests it..

i think when fruit is cooked it changes the sugar so you actually eat more sugar in the end.

If you were to cook tinned pineapple how would you calculate that? It already has syns so do you double them?

I knew it was going to be something scientific, and not just the ability to overeat easily, and good point on cooking tinned pineapple, or is that already altered in the canning process, and is thus the same as cooked fruit?

Its not cooked fruit but i made the mistake when i last did SW of eating a huge pot of fruit pieces in fruit juice for every lunch and after dinner. I thought it was good because its just fruit in juice but each pot ended up being about 7 syns.

I knew it was going to be something scientific, and not just the ability to overeat easily, and good point on cooking tinned pineapple, or is that already altered in the canning process, and is thus the same as cooked fruit?

The canning process uses heat, so I would think that you could consider it already cooked.

Back