Why is fat free yogurt free but not skimmed milk?

Thats the danger of trying to follow a diet outside of a group in my honest opinion and this is from bitter experience as i joined SW about 3-4 years about lost 2 1/2 stone but didnt like my consultant at the time so decided to continue alone, 3 years later and 5 stone heavier it IN MY OPINION doesnt work to do this or any diet without the support of people around you.

but as i have said this is my opinion and im sure many here will have differing opinions.

However i have to say i find it hard to believe anyone who takes their health seriously cant find £3 per week for an online membership, and before i get everyone jumping on me about this point.

I have 3 kids and a 1 dog, my wife doesnt work. I am currently earning a mediocre wage and get little / no help from the government (and when i say mediocre wage i mean £5k below the planned benefits cap) and amazingly i have been able to sacrifice other things to be able to pay for my SW membership.

Lets face it it cost all of us more than £3 per week to get overweight / obese in the first place didnt it

I know it did me!

Thats the danger of trying to follow a diet outside of a group in my honest opinion and this is from bitter experience as i joined SW about 3-4 years about lost 2 1/2 stone but didnt like my consultant at the time so decided to continue alone, 3 years later and 5 stone heavier it IN MY OPINION doesnt work to do this or any diet without the support of people around you.

but as i have said this is my opinion and im sure many here will have differing opinions.

However i have to say i find it hard to believe anyone who takes their health seriously cant find £3 per week for an online membership, and before i get everyone jumping on me about this point.

I have 3 kids and a 1 dog, my wife doesnt work. I am currently earning a mediocre wage and get little / no help from the government (and when i say mediocre wage i mean £5k below the planned benefits cap) and amazingly i have been able to sacrifice other things to be able to pay for my SW membership.

Lets face it it cost all of us more than £3 per week to get overweight / obese in the first place didnt it

I know it did me!

At my first class I lost 10lb in 9 months & couldn't lose anymore, my C had no idea why & wasn't overly interested so I stopped going & went back to eating what I did before. At my second class I lost 1st in 9 months & the same thing happened, I hit a plateau. Despite handing in a food diary every week which my C described as "perfect" she couldn't suggest anything to help me budge anymore weight. So again, I stopped going & went back to my old eating habits. Last April I decided to start over, but doing it alone at home. If I'd still been in class last October I would have got my 2st award which was more than I've lost going to either class. So yes it is possible to lose weight well without class or going online.

At the end of the day, if you have the information & actually want to succeed, you will, whether you are a member or not.

And to add - I think it's a little ignorant to assume every person has a spare £3 to spend on a membership of any sort. Some people just don't.

I know it did me!

I care about my health but I don't earn any money. I couldn't even afford to buy my boyfriend a birthday present. If I had any money at all it would not be going on an online membership which I don't think I actually need. I mean, I've lost almost 30lbs without it!

I don't care what your financial situation is like, and you shouldn't care about other peoples. Don't automatically assume people should be able to afford things just because you can.

Well I came on this site because I CAN'T afford to go to classes and from what I read you get lots of support from the members on here. But hey ho this post has managed to make me even MORE determined to do it alone, so that's something!

I've never been to class or had an online membership and I've lost 24lb since 5th of January so you CAN do it alone if you're determined enough!

I've never been to class or had an online membership and I've lost 24lb since 5th of January so you CAN do it alone if you're determined enough!

That's brilliant! Well done :clap:

lilbabyfish said:
Thank you! :)

Yes I have lost the same amount from the same time and my husband has lost almost three stone...we don't go to class. Me because we can't as yet get a carer who is able to meet my daughters medical needs and my husband s often away... As he is in the army, as people have said this group s exactly what it s meant to be ...some ppl are right some are wrong it up each and everybody if they decide to make a informed decision. There is no magic formula to slimming world most is common sense. The groups are full of the same people as on here and cons are not always right believe me!

*a clip clop over the bridge here maybe? Mmmmm

The groups are full of the same people as on here and cons are not always right believe me!

Quite right, I've known consultants say you can't split healthy extras, yet on the SW website it says you can. I just nod and carry on! ;)

If you are trying to say im a troll for believing that the way SW says it should be done is the right way then sure i am a troll! go you!

Yes I have lost the same amount from the same time and my husband has lost almost three stone...we don't go to class. Me because we can't as yet get a carer who is able to meet my daughters medical needs and my husband s often away... As he is in the army, as people have said this group s exactly what it s meant to be ...some ppl are right some are wrong it up each and everybody if they decide to make a informed decision. There is no magic formula to slimming world most is common sense. The groups are full of the same people as on here and cons are not always right believe me!

Paul_Farnham_uk said:
If you are trying to say im a troll for believing that the way SW says it should be done is the right way then sure i am a troll! go you!

I think you are out for a argument yes! I think you should stop being so penchulant! If this site is so pointless why have you bothered to be here?

Paul_Farnham_uk said:

Go you? *chuckles*

I think you are out for a argument yes! I think you should stop being so penchulant! If this site is so pointless why have you bothered to be here?

I did wonder that. Paul, if you feel all the information on here is inaccurate why use the site?

Actually no im not out for an argument at all, i started out trying to offer some helpful advice to help new people not be mislead by poorly worded posts on here.

But if people want to then get antsy and start attacking me and my opinions when i have clearly stated they are my opinions in a non constructive manner why should i just go hide in a corner?

The truth is i generally find this site to be helpful and fun but then there are times like this where people take things way too seriously and start getting nasty.

Then they acuse me of being out for an argument when i pull them up on it, grow up!

PS might be worth reconsidering your word "Penchulant" as it doesnt exist

Last edited:
Paul_Farnham_uk said:
Actually no im not out for an argument at all, i started out trying to offer some helpful advice to help new people not be mislead by poorly worded posts on here.

But if people want to then get antsy and start attacking me and my opinions when i have clearly stated they are my opinions in a non constructive manner why should i just go hide in a corner?

The truth is i generally find this site to be helpful and fun but then there are times like this where people take things way too seriously and start getting nasty.

Then they acuse me of being out for an argument when i pull them up on it, grow up!

Sorry I take it all back then!! Please keep your helpful advice coming :D

Ermintrude was offering her opinion on why yoghurt is free and not skimmed milk. Okay, she may have said only FF natural yoghurt is free, a small slip, but her point was correct and answered the OP's question very succinctly.

There are quite a few "rows" on here lately, which is why I don't take such an active role these days. Quite sad to be honest.

I'm so confused. You have basically told people that to do Slimming World correctly you need to have an online membership or go to a class, which you don't! And someone has already said consultants never discourage people by telling them that doing it from home is wrong. So I work that out to mean that doing it from home is a correct way to follow Slimming World. It might not make them any money, but people are still losing weight following their plan, and I bet 90% of us who do it alone are buying the magazine, so we are still contributing to SW.

You misread a post. Then you started banging on about people not following SW correctly because they don't have access to SW online :confused:

The reason people are "attacking" you is because your opinion is ignorant. Not following SW correctly would be something like having white bread as a healthy extra, or miscounting syns. It doesn't include following the plan without attending a class. And then you had the cheek to tell people they should be able to afford £3 a week for online membership. Sorry, some people can't, and they are going to defend themselves when someone questions their finances!

Ermintrude was offering her opinion on why yoghurt is free and not skimmed milk. Okay, she may have said only FF natural yoghurt is free, a small slip, but her point was correct and answered the OP's question very succinctly.

There are quite a few "rows" on here lately, which is why I don't take such an active role these days. Quite sad to be honest.

There are so many 'rows' I agree, it's sad. I tend to stay out of it all tbh, but this one has really hit a nerve. You can't tell someone they aren't following SW properly just because they don't have access to syn values from the SW website.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but saying "My advice is not to listen to anyone on forums regarding syn values and to use the slimming world tools they provide on the website" is not on. This site is about giving support & information when people ask for it, and that includes syn values which is probably one of the most common forums used on here. If people can't afford to join the SW site or go to class but are then being told not to take syn value advice on here, where else are they meant to go?

Please don't state that if you don't go to class or do it online you're not doing it properly. I do SW at home, by myself, and I'm doing better than I've ever done in class. I do it properly. I do it accurately. If I need the syn value of something, I'll look it up on here. I've not seen any post where someone has said their answer is absolutely accurate when in fact it isn't. Everyone here helps everyone else. Give support if you want it in return!

Back