Why is fat free yogurt free but not skimmed milk?

Milk is sneaky. I actually started measuring mine properly a couple of weeks ago because I worked out I was sneaking in an extra 12 syns worth of milk a day - and that was skimmed stuff! :eek:

I did this I never used to measure milk thinking well I only had a drop in tea, but when I measured it I found I used a lot more than I had guessed, it's easily done.

I measured mine once recently and found it got me 4 or 5 coffees (I use semi skimmed) so if I have more than 4 coffees then I count each one as 1.5 syns thereafter.
I never use milk on cereal or in porridge though.

jaylou said:
Water in porridge and yoghurt on cereal

Having used water in oats when I had no milk I couldn't really tell so I usually do to save syns. I chuck a load of fruit on top anyway :)

Wow, well I see it all kicked off while I was away :eek:

Well just for the delightful Paul, to put my statement back in context, as the rest of the board managed to read it:

Milk still has fat in, even skimmed milk has a little bit in, so its not fat free (only fat-free natural yoghurt is free).

I think it was pretty clear I was talking about FAT - ie milk has fat in, and as only fat-FREE yoghurt can be free - ie yoghurt WITHOUT ANY FAT IN - there is no reason to expect milk with fat in to be free.

I dont think that leads to any assumption that all fat free yoghurt is free? And the only reason the word 'natural' was there was because I was comparing milk to yoghurt without having to consider any of the fancy bloody additions such as sugar and flavourings. I think it was pretty clear to most people I didnt mean only natural yoghurt was free, although I can see it could be read like that, for which I apologise for any misunderstanding. :confused:

ermintrude said:
Wow, well I see it all kicked off while I was away :eek:

Well just for the delightful Paul, to put my statement back in context, as the rest of the board managed to read it:

I think it was pretty clear I was talking about FAT - ie milk has fat in, and as only fat-FREE yoghurt can be free - ie yoghurt WITHOUT ANY FAT IN - there is no reason to expect milk with fat in to be free.

I dont think that leads to any assumption that all fat free yoghurt is free? And the only reason the word 'natural' was there was because I was comparing milk to yoghurt without having to consider any of the fancy bloody additions such as sugar and flavourings. I think it was pretty clear to most people I didnt mean only natural yoghurt was free, although I can see it could be read like that, for which I apologise for any misunderstanding. :confused:

Your point was clear Erm, a misunderstanding turned a bit sour that's all..! :rolleyes:

I have made the mistake of thinking all fat free yoghurt is syn free, when I first done SW I was eating all sorts of synful fat free yoghurts, that's why I added my comment about not all of them being syn free. It wasn't because of your comment about the fat free natural yoghurt :D

ok for the sake of argument i will say i may have miscontrued what ermintrude said however i stand by my point that the ONLY place to get a 100% accurate reference of syn values if on the SW website.

Thats incorrect btw if you check out the website syns you will see that <<for example, many HEXes are still listed that arent HEXes any more; and others still have the wrong quantity listed>> so please be sure you are giving out the correct information as it can really mess people up who are new.

My advice is n̶o̶t̶ to listen to <<everyone>> on forums regarding syn values and to use the slimming world tools they provide on the website <<and to use your own best judgment and common sense on deciding which to trust>>

:whistle:

* ;)

hi iv a question does anyone know how much fat free milk were aloud. i cant find the skimmed milk all i can find is the slimline milk . new to this any help b great

hi iv a question does anyone know how much fat free milk were aloud. i cant find the skimmed milk all i can find is the slimline milk . new to this any help b great

Skimmed milk is 0.1% to 0.3% fat so slimline would count as skimmed as its 0.3g fat per 100mls - 350mls a day for your healthy extra A option

This thread is hilarious if you read it from the start and makes me wonder why some people even bothered to use minimins!! Why be here if not for the advice and help. Paul hasn't been active for over a year so it looks like this killed him off (not literally obvs) or he took his own advice and pi$$ed off to his meeting.

This thread is hilarious if you read it from the start and makes me wonder why some people even bothered to use minimins!! Why be here if not for the advice and help. Paul hasn't been active for over a year so it looks like this killed him off (not literally obvs) or he took his own advice and pi$$ed off to his meeting.

This thread was nothing compared to what it used to be like on here! It's the reason many if the oldies don't post quite so much, if at all!!

Blimey, I have to say I have found everyone lovely but I can see from this thread that there can be some defensiveness!!

Back