1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is flour high in syns?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by CamilleBates, 26 February 2010 Social URL.

1. CamilleBates

CamilleBates Alomst there :)

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Basically as the title says! My friend's (who is also a SWer) husband can't figure out why it is so high in syns and it's driving him nuts. Especially as pasta (a flour based product) is free! (Although I know that by the time it's cooked it's got a massive water content).

Anyone got an answer? I just want to shut him up! I'm quite sure it's something to do with how it's processed by us but don't have a definate explanation!!

Any help gratefuly recieved please :)
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. fleur

fleur Full Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I guess if they made flour a free food, we'd all start making a lot of cake. And bread. And biscuits. And, ooh, all sorts of things that might tempt us too much. :D

Whereas pasta - well, it's harder to overeat pasta, isn't it? We don't add sugar or sugar substitutes to pasta to make it more yummy, do we?

Thing is, the methodology behind the SW diet isn't straightforward. It isn't only based on the nutritional values of food, but also on our behaviour towards certain types of food.

This isn't a fantastic answer, sorry - but it's a start, hopefully? :)
  4. Brightonrosie

Brightonrosie I want to be fitter again

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Slimming World
    Flour cannot be used on its own it is always added to something so not a filling nutritious food that you can use freely. It also takes a lot of flour to make anything. There are over 340 calories in 100gms of flour and it is an unecessary ingredient for the majority of meals we make. Pasta has similar calories for 100gms and I know which one I would prefer to eat
  5. MrsBabyCakes

MrsBabyCakes Naughty Fridge Picker

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Low fat, Low Carb, High Protein, SW tweaked
    Its all in the different types of flour and what they do. Pasta is made from a different flour to bread.

Taken from ask marx foods

For example dry pasta is made from durum wheat flour traditionaly where as fresh is buckwheat flour.

Bread however is again different..

SW is all about food optimising, giving you the right balance of protein etc etc etc etc. So the different flours give you the different balances and some are better than others.
    jaylou likes this.
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.