Why is it important to drink lots of water?

ecw199

I'm terrible at drinking. I don't know why it's just the way I am. For example I'm sitting here now at 12.55pm and I haven't had a drink yet today.

Everyone says it's important to drink lots of water for weight loss but why is it? I'm going to really try this week to drink lots (by the way how much should I be drinking) but knowing why it will help me lose weight might help me stick too it

I dont think it's important to drink water, just a good amoun tof fluid. Its recommended to drink approximatly 2ltrs of fluid a day to keep you flushed out and keep them kidneys healthy and working.

It is important to drink enough water because like food if your body isnt getting enough it will hang onto what it has (fat) and the result is water retention. As we all know this can hamper your weight loss. When you are taking enough water your body will let this go knowing that there is a plentiful supply. Also, cut back on salt as this affects water retention too

Drinking a good amount of water helps your body to process the food you are eating more efficiently along with some of the other automatic functions your body has to perform. Water is best because it is pure and your body doesn't have to do anything with it to use it -unlike other fluids you might partake of.

A third reason that I know of is that dehydration can be mistaken for hunger so sometimes when you think you are hungry and you go and eat what is really the problem is that you need water.

So, yes it is important and they say the more the better at least 8 glasses a day for a normal sized person. Larger people need more. So drink! :D

Last edited:
Everyone says it's important to drink lots of water for weight loss but why is it? I'm going to really try this week to drink lots (by the way how much should I be drinking) but knowing why it will help me lose weight might help me stick too it

Its not! Its important to drink FLUIDS, so long as youre having around 2 litres of fluid a day then youre fine it doesnt have to be water it can be made up of anything.

Obviously the advantages of water are you dont feel bloated etc and its better for you then other things but really dont stress about it and certainly dont feel you have to drink loads.

Thanks for all the great info and advice. I have got myself a 500ml bottle and I'm going to try to drink 4 bottles of low cal squash or water a day.

I did really mean fluids when I put water, i know it doesn't have to be just water. I've recently given up tea and coffee, so squash seems like the best option :)

ecw199, when I started Slimming World, I found it really, really difficult to drink 2ltrs of water a day because I simply wasn't used to it. But it is one of those things you get used to. Try to aim for one glass of water an hour, as drinking too much too fast is dangerous (heard this over and over, but I am not entirely sure why, come to think of it). I also found that as I was exercising more, I could easily get through a litre of water an hour. Your body screams out for it. Look to water as a cleanser. Hope you get into the swing of it! x

No problem guys, glad you found it useful :)

Great link - very informative! X

great article - and interesting to read if you are overweight you should drink MORE water......

I think other diets encourage water as part of their plans - i know on Cambridge you have to drink 8 pints i think per day!!!!!

Water is also essential for exercise to rehydrate you - preventing you from passing out on the treadmill or bike!!! :D

I dont drink enough fluids/water, but i am going to do a little challenge to try to have more next week!!! x

great article - and interesting to read if you are overweight you should drink MORE water......

I think other diets encourage water as part of their plans - i know on Cambridge you have to drink 8 pints i think per day!!!!!

Water is also essential for exercise to rehydrate you - preventing you from passing out on the treadmill or bike!!! :D

I dont drink enough fluids/water, but i am going to do a little challenge to try to have more next week!!! x

Would you like to try a wee water challenge for next week Im trying to drink more too .. anybody up for it?

Yes, I have tried to drink more since I read that article and I know when I lost weight before it was a major part of the regime I used. I'm up for the challenge! x

I'm up for the challenge too! I've been trying over the last few days and I've been doing okay. I've got my 500 ml bottle full of low cal squash and It's on my desk so that I can just keep sipping from it. I've had 1 litre so far today :) You do have to wee a lot more though :(

I've found that the more you drink the more you want and you just become used to it. In school we encourage all the children to have water bottles and to drink when they feel thirsty. Since I've started working there I've drunk a lot more than I used to. What has been nice is that I used to suffer from really bad headaches and now I don't, due to keeping my brain "wet", as one child put it.

I'm up for the challenge too! I've been trying over the last few days and I've been doing okay. I've got my 500 ml bottle full of low cal squash and It's on my desk so that I can just keep sipping from it. I've had 1 litre so far today :) You do have to wee a lot more though :(

I used to drink a lot of water - i think the increased wee action is only in the first week or so, as your body gets used to the increased fluids, after a while it knows that it will reguarly be watered and doesnt send you running to the bathroom every half hour!!! xx:cool:

Back