Why oh Why do I do this???

toddleo

I have sucessfully lost a stone with SW, and found the plan easy to follow, filling, interesting etc, PLUS i enjoy going to the club.

As is often the case, the next stone is proving much harder, and I know why; because my good intentions keep faltering. I have a fantastic 100% week, lose well at club and the following week I BINGE like crazy and put it all back on again, I then despise myself all week and so it goes on.

I am getting worried about this pattern, why do I do it, I am so pleased when I lose, so why do I binge?

Sorry for the moaning, I can not blame the plan, IT WORKS, it's just me ( although I am sure I am not alone in this) over to you guys, what works to keep you on the straight and narrow, and how can I knock this bingeing/self sabbotage on the head?:(

I could have written this myself word for word (we even have similar names and pics lol)! But not much help Im afraid.
The last few weeks for me were -2, +4, -4, +3 so its not even little losses/gains its huge ones.

I just keep trying to plod on set myself mini goals and keep going

Fearing I may sound a little too much like a psychologist here...but there is usually an underlying cause for the binges. You feel good to start with when you lose, but then there is something that makes you binge, whether it be stress, depression, grief etc. To overcome the binges you need to sort the cause, or learn how to deal with the cause at any rate.

My Nan died in october and since then i keep getting stuck in binge cycles, it took me 4 months to realise that it was grief/self blame causing it after i spoke to a friend who is a reiki master, she gave me some exercises and i have been a lot better the last few weeks, only binging for 2 days out of a month and even those 2 days weren't as bad as they were.

Anyway i'm done with my psychological input :p

Fearing I may sound a little too much like a psychologist here...but there is usually an underlying cause for the binges. You feel good to start with when you lose, but then there is something that makes you binge, whether it be stress, depression, grief etc. To overcome the binges you need to sort the cause, or learn how to deal with the cause at any rate.

My Nan died in october and since then i keep getting stuck in binge cycles, it took me 4 months to realise that it was grief/self blame causing it after i spoke to a friend who is a reiki master, she gave me some exercises and i have been a lot better the last few weeks, only binging for 2 days out of a month and even those 2 days weren't as bad as they were.

Anyway i'm done with my psychological input :p

This is so true, I have been doing a lot of self help in the last year around binge eating and my eating habits. I know now that when I'm binging, I'm doing it for something else - like I'm stressed out, unhappy etc.

It also works the other way for me too tho, for a long time I have tried to lose weight to fix other areas of my life. I am still a work in progress re the binging and even now I find myself getting quite anxious about my weight etc when I know in reality I'm anxious about impending motherhood!

ask your consultant for some SAS logs, then you write down what you're eating, why you're eating it and how you feel about it, it may help you target the reasons why, or how about a food diary on here, sometimes when you have to be accountable it makes you think twice.

Good luck, you've done so well so far sometimes when we get nearer to target we start to self sabotage, its a scary prospect being where you want to be xx

I'm not sure if this will help much, but I'll share my experience just in case!
When I binge, I always feel terrible after it. the joy of eating only lasted a few minutes and then it was gone. It never feels worth the guilt. So when I feel tempted I just say "its only food, it wont last" It doesnt always work, but it helps a bit.

Are you an emotional eater? I eat when i'm bored. I think its a huge help to know why you eat and working out ways of avoiding that trap.
Are you very strict on your syns? Maybe jiggle things around during the day, have a free food day and keep your syns for something indulgent in the evening? Or maybe try keeping some for one night of the week where you can let your hair down a bit?

Good luck, you have come so far and are so close, the last few pounds are legendary for being the most difficult to shift.

Back