Why Tolerated Items are the like the brakes on your car…

Atropos

Gold Member
Why Tolerated Items are the like the brakes on your car…

It took me a while to get the hang of these “tolerated items”, so I know how confusing they are.

So are they allowed or not? Why are they limited? Why do they effect some people more than others?!

In the end it took the following image to help me understand how I could use – and abuse – so called tolerated items.

The Dukan Diet is like a racy sports car at the top of a winding mountain road – at the bottom is the beach, and the weight you want to be.

That’s you, at the top, getting into the car, and looking down all those hair pin curves.

Attack revs up the powerful sporty engine – Ketosis - vroom, vroom.

Cruise sends you off, down the hill, towards the beach, and boy – is it a great car, and the best part is, the fuel its burning is fat. PP and PV are the gears, helping you maintain the best and most comfortable speed down the mountain – vroom – wheeeeee – bikini here I come!!!!

But there are hazards in the road – mothers-in-law, TOTM, problems at work, problems in love, constipation – looming like hair-pin bends - that might make you skid off the road and crash.

So – that’s where the Tolerated Items come in. They are BRAKES – and when you need a little extra help to stay safely on the road, they are there for you. Mullerlights, sugar free gum, a bit of laughing cow….

Just a touch, from time to time, keeps you on the road, still heading down, down, down to the beach.

BUT BE WARNED -

If you use the brakes just when necessary it won’t impact your speed much at all.

If you use the brakes more often – you will slow the car, perhaps to half the original speed. Not too bad – you’ll still get to the beach a little later.

If you use lean on the brakes - eating mullers, wheatbran, skimmed milk powder, soy sauce, wine etc - every single day – well, then you’ll stop the car.

Or worse, spin off the road all together.

That is such an excellent way of putting it. I shall forever have that image in my head :)

I agree that is excellent!

But argh! I didn't know sf gum was a tolerant. So having the max of 5 pieces a day still considered a tolerant?

If so that is the only one I have and it certainly isn't everyday. However, after reading the thread about it last night I have been chewing all day!:(

Even without tolerants my car seems to be an old banger with bad brakes.:rolleyes:

brilliant this should be pinned

That is an absolutely brilliant simile! You have made what seemed so complicated incredibly simple.

Thank you so much.

On reflection, was it a simile? Or an allegory? A metaphor? Or even a parable? School english lessons are long forgotten.

Not that it matters. Whatever it is it should be a sticky as scrumper said.

Last edited:
what do they say............'A picture paints a thousand words' or 'well penned words creates a fantastic picture??:happy096::happy096:

That is an absolutely brilliant simile! You have made what seemed so complicated incredibly simple.

Thank you so much.

On reflection, was it a simile? Or an allegory? A metaphor? Or even a parable? School english lessons are long forgotten.

Not that it matters. Whatever it is it should be a sticky as scrumper said.

A dim memory stirring in a dusty forgotten corner of my brain seems to be telling me that "A is like a B" is a simile.

I'm glad the picture seems to work so well for people - I can't tell you how long I struggled with the "tolerated items" issue until this image jumped into my head.

(Mine's a classic red e-type jag, and I'm on the Amalfi coast, speeding to meet Marcello Mastroianni (or maybe Anthony LaPaglia?) on a terrace overlooking Capri. Well, I can dream.)

AHEM! As an English teacher I am delighted to announce that it is both a simile and an extended metaphor. Atropos' memory is correct

AHEM! As an English teacher I am delighted to announce that it is both a simile and an extended metaphor. Atropos' memory is correct

I wish my memory was quite correct - I just managed to a.) leave my purse on the table in a coffee shop (I very nice german tourist rescued it) and b.) left the stove ring on for an hour after cooking an omlette.

Now, teacher - I seem to remember that an "Allegory" would involve adding symbolic places and personages to the metaphor - so that the the beach might be called "little-bumnthighs-on-sea", the dukan-car might need to slow to cross the terrifying "mother-in-law bridge", and come a cropper an axle on "hangover corner" after taking a wrong turning at the "vodka debauch" .

You are a GENIUS Atropos!!!

I've always said it...

Thank you so much for posting this you are a genius :D. I'm now going to keep the tolerated items for the hair pin bends, it makes so much sense. I can see now that if I use the tolerated items all the time when it comes to those nasty bends in the road I wouldnt have anything to fall back on and end up grabbing the bread (sorry meant brake lol)

I wish my memory was quite correct - I just managed to a.) leave my purse on the table in a coffee shop (I very nice german tourist rescued it) and b.) left the stove ring on for an hour after cooking an omlette.

Now, teacher - I seem to remember that an "Allegory" would involve adding symbolic places and personages to the metaphor - so that the the beach might be called "little-bumnthighs-on-sea", the dukan-car might need to slow to cross the terrifying "mother-in-law bridge", and come a cropper an axle on "hangover corner" after taking a wrong turning at the "vodka debauch" .

I just had to bump this, I was searching for tolerated foods and details and came across this, excellent, it really does help put it in perspective. Huge thanks for the original posters imagination and help on this.

Back