why???

mary24

I could really do with some help. I have tried quite a few sw curries now and every time they are really watery. I hav just made the one from the new mag thinking it would be different and its not. Does this happen to anyone else or am I missing something. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Really gutted as I can't eat watery curry :(

A few things:

- agree with above, blitzing the garlic/ginger and some/all of the onion makes a great thick sauce. Even if you leave them as slices you need to give them a good 10mins+ sweating on a low heat and stirring frequently so they almost start to dissolve.

- cooking it on a low heat for a good while also helps. I leave mine to simmer on the lowest setting for 30-40min+ if I can, stirring it occasionally to shift anything off the bottom of the pan and break things up a bit. Cooking quickly/on a high heat wont give it time to soften up and start to melt into the sauce.

- what spices are you putting in? Ground spices thicken it up a lot, I've got a curry on at the moment and it's got about 8-9 tsp mix of various spices, ground and whole.

What's the recipe (sorry dont have the mag yet). Curry I find generally not something you need a special recipe for, it can usually be adapted to a SW version by reducing/omitting/replacing stuff like oil, nuts, yoghurt etc.

A lot of people ive spoken to all agree that most sw recipes are far too watery. Maybr try the recipe again but dont add the volume of liquid they tell you to...

Yeah, you just got to judge it by eye. You only need enough water to just about cover the contents, it doesn;t need to be swimiung in it. Also depends what you're putting in it, veggies will release loads of water so you hardly need anything for those. Mushrooms especially!

mm here's my lovely SW-adapted curry from last night, yum yum :)

5750458087_896e764283_o.jpg

that looks fab

Thank you for all the replys I think I will give it one more go with less water and blitz some of the onion aswell. Thanks again :)

I think it also depends on you hob - cooking is not an exact science so you do need to use your own judgement. Some people on here can bake a quiche in 30-40 mins while I need to leave it in for around an hour.

I think alot of the SW recipes need you to use your judgment! I have done the classic chicken curry recipe and leave it to simmer with the lid off to thicken up, its lovely :)

I made the tamarind and salmon curry from "Curry Feast" last night - i left the salmon really chunky so that I could simmer it for longer and thicken the sauce (have learnt from experience with recipes) - it is fabulous though!

When I am doing meat based ones I simmer for about an hour - really lets the flavours develop and thickens up the sauce too.

I would die without my curries - biggest pull for me, just need to work out how to make syn free naan :D

I don't put any water in my curry at all. Here's what I do;

Finely chop onions, garlic, ginger and chillies (I usually do this in the food processor) and sweat them off in some oil spray or olive oil.

Add my spices (a heaped tsp each of ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder, cinnamon, garam masala, cardamon pods - crushed, and 1/2 tsp turmeric) fry for about 2 minutes and add 2 small finely chopped tomatoes and your veggies (I love using cauliflower, pepper, potatoes and/or spinach in curries).

Cook for about 15 minutes on a low heat, add seasoning and whatever meat/fish you like. I usually marinate the meat in a tsp stock powder, salt, pepper and curry powder. Simmer until meat is cooked (20 mins for meat & chicken, 10 mins for seafood).

When cooked add some frozen peas, take off the heat and stir in some Greek yogurt and chopped coriander, if it's a fish curry I also stir in a tbsp of tamarind paste at the end. That's it! I never add water and only use a small amount of tomatoes, never from a tin otherwise it gets too watery. Here's a pic of a prawn curry I make pretty regularly.

71dd800e.jpg

A couple of tablespoons of red lentils added at the beginning of cooking will thicken up any curry. They naturally soak up excess water and turn mushy, so making a nice thick sauce.

A couple of tablespoons of red lentils added at the beginning of cooking will thicken up any curry. They naturally soak up excess water and turn mushy, so making a nice thick sauce.

Great idea!

Back