WI day - what do you eat?

this is an example of silly... i used to weigh my clothes, and then when i stepped on the scales... i'd breathe out!

what ever works for people works for people, I , like many others, just want a consistent day (i.e. lighter food choices and dinner after wi) so when we weigh, we know that the loss or a gain is a true representation of our week, not because we have just ate a pasta salad and drank a pint of water.

it is perfectly normal, and perfectly ok, whatever you chose to do. as long as you are always doing it on wi day, you know you have consistency. :)

I eat what I would eat normally and do have jkt spud with beans for lunch if i want it but I do stop drinking at about 4pm (WI is 6.30) and will have my evening meal at about 8.30.

I just eat fruit all day. But that's actually a bad thing so I should stop doing that LOL

I completely agree with evanesco, I have to say I was really shocked when I was going to weigh in at 7pm and there were people there that hadn't ate or drank all day...
I know it can be tempting when you've had a bad week to not eat a right lot on WI day to try and make up for it, but have a think about it... YEs, it might make a couple of pounds difference (I'm always amazed how much heavier I am on an evening) but only for that week. This is the really important thing to think about, If you don't eat on WI day one week, or barely eat then you'll notice the difference on the scales that week but either you'll be fighting that hurdle on next weeks WI day when you eat normally or you'll have to not eat on WI day ever again.. Think about that, is it worth not eating or drinking on WI for ever just for the sake of 2lbs loss on one week?
Personally I would far prefer to register a gain of .5 lbs and know I can eat normally every day, week in week out.
Someone said that you're paying to be weighed and you don't want to be weighed on a full belly, and I can sympathise but how about looking at it from the point of view that you're paying to make yourself hungry and uncomfortable?!
Sorry for my little rant, I've just never quite got over my amazement that people would starve themselves and not drink on WI day... it seems like a scary quick road to an eating disorder.. After all, how long till you don't eat tea the evening before WI because you've been especially bad this week.

Having said all this, I used to get really frustrated that it wasn't accurate weighing yourself on an evening and that i thought my target weight would have to be above my 'real' target weight to allow for that. But even so.. if you take this into account it isnt a problem.
One idea would be to eat the same thing every weigh in day so you know what you've eaten won't affect your results but you'll be eating a balanced diet all day.

Well I'm sure I wouldn't be able to convert all the hardcore minimal eaters on WI day but think about it... one week at a gain to be able to eat properly from then on... Give it as go?

Well I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree!! I've done this for years, it's what I do and how I work and I'm not sure I'm in the minority either!!
It makes sense not to have a big lunch when I then have to pay to get weighed. Eating a lot at lunch time (and by that I mean a big meal) is bound to weigh heavier in my stomach than salad or soup. I could be a saint all week but if I have a large lunch then that effort will not show on the scales.

On this one, I agree with Couteaux.

but isn't it common sense to know that if you stay on plan, the end results will be EXACTLY the same?? it seems a nonsense to think that if you eat lighter on the day you will be losing more weight?! it makes sense not to stuff your face on weigh in day but then again should we stuff our face anyday!! like say i ate a massive pasta lunch and dinner before weight in and the person next to me had an apple, would they lose more weight in the long run?!

My C also says the same when some people have been suprised at a small loss, then have stated that they have just eaten dinner, so my C replies, do this every week from now on to stay consistent. Which is pretty much what the 2 previous posts have said, you either eat normally and sensibley all the time, or you don't, either way be consistant. I know my choice is to eat properly and healthily and not worry about whether this bowl of pasta will make me heavier in the evening, because frankly that kind of thinking isn't normal at all.

Eating hardly anything on WI day is not only tricking the scales and showing a false weight, it is lying to yourself. You do yourself no amount of injustice by doing this. It's what you weigh when you starve yourself, not when you follow a sensible eating plan. I eat normally on WI day, the same as I would any other day. All you need to do is follow the plan normally on WI day. Sure, the first week you may not get a massive loss like if you had hardly eaten, but after that week it'll balance it out properly. This plan isn't about healthy eating habits for 6 days, followed by 1 day of starvation. It's a plan for 7 days a week. I know this post is harsh, but it still astounds me that people still feel the need to try and trick the scales.

Evanesco, I agree.... in fact this is one of the very reasons that I stopped going to an evening class as I could see this kind of eating 'light' and not drinking going on and it was getting in my head too, I'd much prefer to weigh at home first thing in the morning and also I now prefer to treat each day as a new day (rather than...... this is the day I get weighed so I'll eat lighter meals.....this is the day before weigh in so I wont do a green day..... this is the day after weigh in so I can go over my syns and pull it back over the rest of the week). I prefer each day to be equal :) :) :)

but isn't it common sense to know that if you stay on plan, the end results will be EXACTLY the same?? it seems a nonsense to think that if you eat lighter on the day you will be losing more weight?! it makes sense not to stuff your face on weigh in day but then again should we stuff our face anyday!! like say i ate a massive pasta lunch and dinner before weight in and the person next to me had an apple, would they lose more weight in the long run?!

I do stay on plan thank you. I stay on plan by eating ham salad or cottage cheese and ryvita or vegetable soup. I stay on plan by eating cereal and banana for breakfast and fruit in the day. The only thing I do differently is choose my lunch wisely (in my opinion).
I do not eat only fruit all day. I do not only eat an apple. I do not starve myself. I am well and truly ready for my dinner when I get home, but it is 7pm and that is late for me to have dinner.

Please do not quote me and use the word "nonsense". I do not eat lighter on WI in a bid to think I will lose more weight. I have done SW for long enough to know that it is the food I eat during the previous week which has an effect on my losses.
My point is this, if I am a saint all week and eat a large lunch the scales will not reflect the loss, they will reflect my lunch.

I rest my case!!!

There seems to be some confusion here regarding what we are talking about. No-one is suggesting people starve, don't drink or only eat an apple on WI day. As stated in my first post, I was very silly for a couple of weeks and didn't eat enough on WI day, but I felt awful, so stopped that sharpish!

As many of us have said, we eat very well on WI day (I provided my daily food earlier in the thread) but what I don't do is eat a big plate of pasta or similar.

My point is this, if I am a saint all week and eat a large lunch the scales will not reflect the loss, they will reflect my lunch.
I agree completely with this. I'm sorry if people have misunderstood and think we are living on air on WI day :) There is obviously strong feeling about eating well, and I think we all agree on that point, but please don't confuse what we have said with not eating. That is definitely not the case.

Yep, I concur.
I think there is a huge difference between those who eat "wisely" (as I call it) on WI day and those who starve.
I would say those who starve are in the minority.

I take offence at some of the posts on here (as is most probably apparent!). We are all different and do what is best for us.

I agree an apple is daft but choosing not to have a big lunch is not!

My post wasn't aimed at you Jaylou, or at any specific person, it was an observation from posts on here (not this specific thread) and comments made in my own group. It was my opinion on the matter, and while we may not agree, I have posted my opinion on an open forum, for others to read and take from it what they will. The purpose wasn't cause offence, and if I have quoted you, it won't have been to say 'nonsense' to your way of doing things, only to reply to your post.

hi i dont go to classes any more, hoping i can do it solo. but on WI day i would eat normally but drink like a horse - maybe that was why i never felt as if i lost anything!!!

now i weigh myself thursday morning - i know you get heavier as the day goes on but so much easier having WI at home :)

Wow - this post certainly opened up a big can of worms....I have to say that I am with Jaylou all the way, I have SW for long enough now to not starve myself on WI day but I do eat 'lighter' food and generally the same food each week, I couldn't not eat anything & I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to do it that way but I also wouldn't encourage anyone to have a big, heavy lunch either....

I have never really altered my food on weigh in day (although I don't eat dinner until after WI :)

I think reading all of these posts and another one thats doing the rounds at the moment about being scared to try to EE are a good example that diets are individual. There may be three plans on the SW but it is up to the individual how they interrupt it. I am sure that the majority of people doing SW are eating a lot more healthier now than they ever were before (and losing weight) so in my book this is a positive thing. Keep up the good work everyone.

Interesting reading through this thread. I do tend to not eat or drink past 2:30, but thats the way I have always done it, just dont want to break the habit. Dont get soooo hungry that I feel the need to eat past that time but do have a HiFi bar from class as it's my form of chooclate hit for the day. Everyone has differernt WI techniquies I guess.

msblonde, must admit i also tried the breathing out technique, didnt work though lol xx

I wonder how we would all discuss this if we were sat around a table together rather than sat at a keyboard? we have to remember that we cant always express ourselves in words on a forum or text than we can in person.

in person, we would see genuine concern for each other and a regard/respect for each others choices.

just a thought - although I love to read and put my two penneth in a good rant thread as much as the next person :D

I am sure we are all heathier than before SW anyway!

I'm interested by msblondes comment...
I didn't mean to offend people with my rant.. but I was genuinely shocked and worried about ppl in my group that didn't eat or drink on weigh in day and couldn't believe they put themselves through that for no real gain...

I do stay on plan thank you. I stay on plan by eating ham salad or cottage cheese and ryvita or vegetable soup. I stay on plan by eating cereal and banana for breakfast and fruit in the day. The only thing I do differently is choose my lunch wisely (in my opinion).
I do not eat only fruit all day. I do not only eat an apple. I do not starve myself. I am well and truly ready for my dinner when I get home, but it is 7pm and that is late for me to have dinner.

Please do not quote me and use the word "nonsense". I do not eat lighter on WI in a bid to think I will lose more weight. I have done SW for long enough to know that it is the food I eat during the previous week which has an effect on my losses.

I rest my case!!!

i didn't mean to offend, and was never saying your opinions are nonsense! i was just rationalising out loud.
sorry if i came across as rude

Interesting thread! I eat the same as I normally do, my WI is at 7 n I normally have dinner before just because i get bk from work at 5:30, probably had lunch about 12:30/1 and couldnt wait til 8:30 to eat!

It never really occured to me to eat less before WI, although now I know why half my class are munching after WI lol! I did always think it was a bit strange! x

Back