Will my weight loss slow within weeks?

Lauratheloop

Silver Member
I understand the fundamentals of losing loads first week and then gradual there after however will my weight loss slow completely??

I'm sticking religiously to 1200 calories and finding it a piece of cake really (lol sorry) I also exercise on average 4/5 times a week since starting....don't panic I do eat some if not all my exercise calories as MFP advises.... Now I know weight loss slows but in the past I've only ever lost 2 lbs here and there and then I seem to plateau..... Ok previously I wasn't taken thyroid medications as didn't k ow it was up the creek so that's now sorted but Im just wondering will I hit problems ???

Will it slow to the point it doesn't move??? I know it's such a generalisation but what's everyone else's views that's done calorie counting??

xx

I understand the fundamentals of losing loads first week and then gradual there after however will my weight loss slow completely??

I'm sticking religiously to 1200 calories and finding it a piece of cake really (lol sorry) I also exercise on average 4/5 times a week since starting....don't panic I do eat some if not all my exercise calories as MFP advises.... Now I know weight loss slows but in the past I've only ever lost 2 lbs here and there and then I seem to plateau..... Ok previously I wasn't taken thyroid medications as didn't k ow it was up the creek so that's now sorted but Im just wondering will I hit problems ???

Will it slow to the point it doesn't move??? I know it's such a generalisation but what's everyone else's views that's done calorie counting??

xx

I think it will slow down, but not stop- its certainly how it worked for me...initially as you know a lot of the loss is water (bound to glycogen etc).

However to keep losing weight all you need is to keep a calorie deficit.

Ive read a LOT of stuff about how the body magically becomes more efficient and conserves calories when on a low calorie diet (people talk about your body going into starvation mode). And to be honest i take it with a pinch of salt.

What i think happens is people lose lean body mass, and hence lose metabolism ...and then their base calorie requirements drop, resulting in no more weight loss.

So in short i think that at 1200 calories, providing your exercising in a way to preserve lean body mass, you will keep steadily losing...i only lost 28lbs, but for me it went something like

6lbs the first week

then 2-3lbs a week regular as clockwork... all the way to target weight

Awesome thanks babe..... I haven't lost big amount not even on first week so I know I've got no water retention to lose lol

I'm happy with 2 lb a week providing that's what I do.... I've planned that I will maintain my calorie deficit and also planned January I will continue with my classes aerobic styles an toning classes and then febuary just as my body thinks it's cracked it and knows what to expect I'm goin to throw in some spin sessions and body pump so I'm challenging it....
I'm hoping that rectifying my previous mistakes I keep on top of the plateaus, previously it was either all diet and then plateau or only exercise no diet an plateau

Hopefully both diet and exercise PLUS every 6 weeks changing the exercise routine will keep the dreaded plateau at bay.... I just hate the thought that next week WI I won't see any change and I will feel cheated again by my body as I have done before.... Trying to stay positive but I get little gripes

Thanks Hun x

I recon it will go down in stages, abit like stairs, it will drop, stay same for a few days, then drop again, well thats what happened to me

I recon it will go down in stages, abit like stairs, it will drop, stay same for a few days, then drop again, well thats what happened to me

There you go, everyone is a bit different ;)

One thing id say though is at 1200 calories, a bit of effort has to be made to make sure there are all the vitamins/minerals in the diet and that there is enough protein ..

For me i became a tuna/chicken breast freak and always had a veritable tonne of veggies with my meals ..broccoli, sprouts, carrots, spinach etc.. some peas too as although they are a little bit higher calorie they have a surprising amount of protein and are great nutrition.

Finally im sure you know this, but id avoid weighing yourself too often.. i went for a carvery half way through the diet... and managed to somehow 'gain' 6lbs overnight..which stressed me out :)

The mistake i was making was hopping on the scales every few days, eventually i went on just once a fortnight at the same time each time..

trw1972 said:
There you go, everyone is a bit different ;)

One thing id say though is at 1200 calories, a bit of effort has to be made to make sure there are all the vitamins/minerals in the diet and that there is enough protein ..

For me i became a tuna/chicken breast freak and always had a veritable tonne of veggies with my meals ..broccoli, sprouts, carrots, spinach etc.. some peas too as although they are a little bit higher calorie they have a surprising amount of protein and are great nutrition.

Finally im sure you know this, but id avoid weighing yourself too often.. i went for a carvery half way through the diet... and managed to somehow 'gain' 6lbs overnight..which stressed me out :)

The mistake i was making was hopping on the scales every few days, eventually i went on just once a fortnight at the same time each time..

I'm a protein kinda girl and pretty much restrict my carbs to 1 meal a day and even then they are weighed an it's only because I have insulinresistence and know how my body is affected by it all

I tend to eat protein and veg for my evening meal and as per my MfP app I seem to be doin very well at getting me nutrients I would go a far as to say my previous probably altho high in calories never really gave much nutrition

Thanks everyone for the advice I guess the only thing I can do is keep trying an see what happens

Keeping off the scales is as important to sticking to a diet as the calories you consume, in my opinion.

I dont believe weight loss is a simple matter of calories in, calories out. It might be the case for putting on weight lol, but losing weight has a whole other set of issues to deal with.

I know I can stick rigidly to a diet, and I do. When i make up my mind to lose weight I do it for a set period of time, rather than an amount to lose, because there is nothing more frustrating than seeing the scales stick day after day. So I stay off the scales, and just stay on my diet. I know it will work, I know I will lose weight, so whats the point of sabotaging yourself because of a number on the scales.

Your weight will stick at various points, its like your body is saying 'stop already!!' then it gives up and goes back to losing weight, usually with a big catchup.

I agree, that's how it seems to be for me.

Back