Will strength training make a difference in my weigh in?

tradmad

Hey there,
Does anybody know if weight training actually might cause a gain? or a slower weight loss due to muscle mass? Have just started weight and core training :)

:)

Well, apparently it's a myth that muscle weighs more than fat. But apparently doing a work out can cause micro tears in muscle, and as the muscle repairs itself a lot of fluid goes to that area, so you could 'gain' from the extra fluid.

They say in the long run, it shouldn't. Personally I've found if I exercise the day before weigh in I hold onto some fluid. Don't let what the scales say stop you from exercising though. It has so many more health benefits as well as helping your weight and dropping inches!

Well, apparently it's a myth that muscle weighs more than fat. But apparently doing a work out can cause micro tears in muscle, and as the muscle repairs itself a lot of fluid goes to that area, so you could 'gain' from the extra fluid.

This is true, your muscles may retain water while healing but it's just water weight. When doing strength training or weight lifting it's important to measure yourself as well as weigh as you could get disheartened by seeing the scale loss slow down. At the end of the day, what is more important? What the scales say, or how amazing and toned you look in person? Unless you tell them, no one has to know what the scales say.

And just in case you wondered, you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit. I see so many people gain some weight and people will reply saying "don't worry you will just be gaining muscle due to exercise". Body builders only wish it was that easy to gain a few lb in muscle every week. Muscles retaining water can skew the scales a little, but if you are eating at a calorie defecit you won't be building muscle or end up "bulky".

Back