Wish me luck !!! RESULT NUMBER ONE !!

fillymum

synful soul
Off to Valencia today to see my oncologist. Paul is going with me this time so no shopping spree afterwards lol !!!

However I am going to phone before I leave to make sure I am on the list after what happened last time.

I am hoping she will sort out this pesky lump in my neck. She is very on the ball.

I never tire of the journey or the city and we will have lunch there.

Last edited:
hope it all goes well and you enjoy your day in the city xxx

I hope all goes well and that the shopping and lunch experience helps!! X

Hope the visit is rewarding on all fronts lovely Sue. Enjoy your lunch out. xxx

Well, I am home and what a bloomin' long day that was.

My oncologist was running very late, 3 hours in fact. I am never upset, cross or concerned waiting to see a doctor, one day it might be me that needs their extra time.

What difference between the treatment I receive in Valencia and the treatment in my local hospital. She just felt the lump in my neck, had hardly touched it before she was saying "right I want you back Friday and we will have appointments for you and you can collect the paper work for a CAT scan of your head and neck, you will have a liver scan and a mamogram. This will happen within the next 10 days. Sorry you have to come back but I want these apointments before September and I will see you again on the 14th September.

What a difference. I feel I am in such good hands . She is as concerned as me about the lump and can not believe the ongoing saga from March until now at the local hospital.

Anyway my dear friends, thank you for all your good wishes.

hugs to you all xxxx

Well, I am home and what a bloomin' long day that was.

My oncologist was running very late, 3 hours in fact. I am never upset, cross or concerned waiting to see a doctor, one day it might be me that needs their extra time.

What difference between the treatment I receive in Valencia and the treatment in my local hospital. She just felt the lump in my neck, had hardly touched it before she was saying "right I want you back Friday and we will have appointments for you and you can collect the paper work for a CAT scan of your head and neck, you will have a liver scan and a mamogram. This will happen within the next 10 days. Sorry you have to come back but I want these apointments before September and I will see you again on the 14th September.

What a difference. I feel I am in such good hands . She is as concerned as me about the lump and can not believe the ongoing saga from March until now at the local hospital.

Anyway my dear friends, thank you for all your good wishes.

hugs to you all xxxx

Am so pleased someone is finally taking you seriously, hope everything comes back clear. Lots of love xxxxxxx

Sue - only just seen your post so sorry I wasn't in time to wish you luck. However, brill news about your Onc getting you sorted at last. xxxxxx

You know, I think the mistake I made was to be too British and to go through the right channels i.e. docs' first etc.etc.

In hind sight what I should have done is go straight to the hospital in Valencia and waited in oncology until she could see me.

So easy to be wise in hind sight.

We are about to trundle off down the motorway once again heading for Valencia. Seems a pretty daft system to me when we have drive 300 kilometers (180 miles)round trip to pick up the paperwork for my scans.
Why on earth they can not be emailed to us I do not know. Ah well what it is is the way it is and I am grateful to be being seen so fast.

I found out why you have go in person the hard way.

You have to be able to defend yourself against 2 totally unsympathetic appointments clerks who all but tell you that they do not care what the doctor has written on the request for an early appointment you will get what they have got. I was given January for the mamo and February for the CAT scan.
I pointed out that there was a big stamped box stating I was back with the oncologist on the 14th and need to be see well before then. I can not tell you how offhand and almost rude they were. I stood my ground and said the doctor has requested an early date as it is urgent. I was told to go to Assistencia al Paciente, I think in England it is called PAL ?
The young chap in there could not have been kinder or nicer , he saved the day for me, I was very close to tears by this time.
He has assured me he will phone me Monday or Tuesday morning with an appointment, hopefully for next week.

I do understand it must be difficult for them when the doctors request something that is impossible to find but I do not understand why they have to be bad mannered and unsympathetic. After all they are dealing with people who are either sick or worried to death.

I feel quite exhausted with it all.

We made the most of the trip by stopping of on the way there at a boot sale where I found a very nice Georgian Silver Plate teapot.
Georgian-antique-silver-teapot.jpg

and a silver plate cruet set with blue glass liners and consisting of a salt, mustard pot, pepper pot and tray.

On the way back after I had a little weep to Paul, poor patient man, we stopped off at a big shopping center on the outskirts of Valencia and shopped in Carrefour.........oh bliss.............in our little village we have nothing, Iceland is exciting for us. We bought a new Dremel for Paul for less than half of what we would have to pay in the village. We got him 2 pairs of good trainers reduced from a ridiculous price to a stunning 6€ as a blue cross item. Of the 4 pairs they had left 2 were Paul's size, so one pair to wear and one pair to store.
I called in at the Vodafone shop and got some credit for my pay as you go phone and they were giving 50% more free. We also transferred Paul's number to Vodafone. So all in all a good days shopping and the cost of the journey well covered.

hugs xxxx

Back