Withdrawals

willfitskinnyjeans

Gold Member
Has anyone else gone through sugar withdrawals ive done my first week 100% and pushed myself on veggies and super frees. But think my body is in shock, headaches, aches, general hangover type symptoms mostly. My mum thinks it's my body flushing out toxins does anyone think same? Plus water intake up loads and diet coke has decreased loads.

Hi, I had to give up sugar for 2 weeks prior to having an operation & went through exactly the symptoms you describe, especially in the 1st week. The headaches were pretty bad but it does calm down after a short while. If only I'd managed to stay off sugar permanently......I wish! Hope you feel better soon x

I know the feeling! Lived on sugary foods before sw. Coffee and coke were my crutches! When I cut them out I got severe headaches and felt like I had been hit by a bus, my whole body ached and had zero energy. After a few days you should start feeling a lot better!

Thank god I'm not only one and it's not in my head. It's given me an awful shock as to what I must of been putting in. I'm far from a big eater and thought I choose well but very clearly not.
I'll ride it out and take early nights where I can until it's over.
Had a 6.4lb loss on my first full week :)

Fantastic! It'll be worth it in the end ;-) Eating sugar just makes your body crave more sugar. I would soooo love to give up sugary foods completely. I'm sure I would be 9 stone with great teeth into the bargain if sugar didn't exist, lol

I'm lucky I don't drink tea or coffee just never picked up habit of it, I can't imagine needing to choose my hexa and choosing between cheese and milk for drinks :)

My sister is on Slimming World too and she thought that the sweetener was making her dizzy and giving her headaches, I wonder now - as she's stopped complaining about it - if it was a withdrawal from sugar?

Im gonna say it was withdrawal but also detox my body has had water and veg like never before your body is flushing all the crap out.
I've never touched drugs in my life or even smoked but health websites saying a sugar withdrawal can feel awful and mimics same symptoms as drug users withdrawing

I agree with the others, sugar withdrawal if very common when you first change your eating habits. Drink lots of water and it should pass fairly soon and you could try eating fruit which is naturally high in sugar. it may also be caffeine withdrawal if you have cut back on the diet coke and used to drink a lot xx

I haven't had any sugar for 2.5 weeks now and I have just about stop craving it. Has been really hard as I had a really bad chocolate addiction and eating disorder. I think I will always struggle but have told my partner and daughter about it so that has helped. Had the problem since I was 23 - am 48 now so hope I can carry on.

Sugar is massively addictive so withdrawing it will cause problems to start with (especially as when we do it we tend to go cold turkey). The bad symptoms shouldnt really last more than a few days.

Will be worth it in the end

Yep, when i went from constantly eating chocolate before xmas then cutting it when i started SW i got bad headaches, ended up eating some choc to get rid of the headache.

Back