Wooster's Veggie RTM

Great to hear you thinking more positively Wooster. Good luck with your food choices this week and it is a good idea to reflect back to our books and just "check" ourselves now and again.

Kat xx

Thanks Kat. I'm playing tennis for a few hours this afternoon so will happily be burning calories just in case I've overdone the cottage cheese. Thinking about it, it's not as if I've been binging on deep fried pizza!

Have to say that it's great having more energy to exercise now that I'm eating proper food. Just hoping the hair loss will calm down as well. Although, small price to pay for my overall health benefits.

You must be on at least day 3 now Kat so bet you're loving having all the herbs and spices??

Yeah Wooster, don't beat yourself up about it!

Hope you enjoyed your tennis! I am looking forward to having more energy now that I am eating. I was full of beans until approx 2-3 weeks ago when my energy dropped alot.

I am day 4 now and loving it! I have an RTM thoughts & thingies journal going.

Kat xx

Hi Kat. Yes I've been reading all your posts. However because I'm reading so many different posts of people on their various stages I keep forgetting who is at what stage. Also, I'm turning into a right space cadet at the moment - went out tonight with my purse left at home. Was all tarted up for a top night out and had to do an about turn and go home. What a pain! Ended up just watching fireworks as missed train. Pants.

Back to food: tonight was tofu marinated in soya, ginger, lemongrass etc then scrambled and dry fried. Added in a bit of yoghurt and raw mushrooms and ate in an iceberg lettuce wrap. It was absolutely amazing! You could do it with turkey mince for a carnivorous version. I reckon 120 cals max. Why did I never experiment this much before??

Plotting for tomorrow's meal and can't wait. Think I like the cooking and discovering new flavour combinations more than the actual eating.

I know what you mean about trying things and experimenting! I have always enjoyed the experimenting but just took it for granted!

Sorry to hear about your evening, what a shame!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Kat xx

Ok, on the menu today....

I as getting very excited about doing a veggie coronation chicken, but it was a bit of a let down. I marinated 2 quorn fillets with garam masala, turmeric and yoghurt. I then grilled these, chpped them up and added a bit more yoghurt. I had it on a salad of mixed leaves, radish, mushroom and spring onion. Overall it was ok, but I'm really going off quorn as it has quite a distinctive taste to start off with.

About to marinate some tofu to cover off the next 3 evenings' meals. Also need to prepare some dip and crudites for snacking.

Another thing I miss about just having packs - the washing up!! God I wish I had a dishwasher...

I haven't had that in ages so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Think I'll use mainly tofu now. I have got a fridge full of it after my Chinatown trip. The scrambled tofu last night was nothing short of lush! Thinking of what marinates to use on the 3 bits of tofu I've got. Any ideas??

I am into chopped fresh red chilli, chopped fresh garlic, splash of soy and lemon juice all mixed up as a marinade at the moment :)

Kat xx

Soy is always good with loads of asian spices, worstershire sauce, fresh herbs and tomato paste for a bit of something different. Balsamic vinegar, garlic and basil for more of an italian feel. Why dont you do that and make a veggie stack with that portobello mushrooms, and slices of tomato with fresh basil? Are you cooking veg yet? sorry forget which week everyone is in. Because that with spinach, and aubregine and peppers all roasted is an awesome stack, we make it often as a veggie dish for clients. Serve it with a nice rocket side salad and yum!!! I have seen in my local health food shop some vegan/quorn bacon and things like sausage etc, also different flavoured tofu steaks, pizza flavour etc, perhaps you could get your hands on one of them. Crumbled "bacon" over a salad could be lush. They also have a vegan type "cheese" which you could possibly eat at this stage. Are you in London Wooster??? You mention china town so having a guess you are. If so let me know and I will give you the address of the shop, they have some fantastic things in there. Have you been down to the wholefoods store?? It totally rocks, also planet organic, they have great things.

Jez
xx

Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't have any chill but added ginger instead for a bit of a kick. I'll have it tomorrow night so will report back. Dips and crudites all sorted for work tomorrow and next 3 nights' meals are marinating. Never been so organised!

i am loving the quorn fillets they is lovely and at 94 calories per 2 thats awesome

Sorry Jez - cross posting. I'm only in week 2 so no cooking yet. Can't wait to get stuck into some soups, roasted veg etc. I've only just discovered balsamic but love it. Can't use Worcestershire sauce though because of the anchovies. Yes, I commute to London every day so handy for a lot of niche shops. Where do you suggest? I love Whole Foods in Kensington but some silly prices there. Never seen so many variations of tofu though. Maybe I'll pop by one evening next week to pick up a few bits and pieces.

I've got some quorn bacon pieces in the freezer. Dying to try them so might quick fry up a few bits tonight as a taster. But then again I'm not hungry so guess I shouldn't....

I tried Vegan cheese at a Vegan festival last year and the stall holder told me to stop pulling faces as I was putting off the customers. It was like playdo!

what are the quorn bacon pieces like wooster never had them before

they taste like quorny bacony goodness ken!!!

Wooster, yeah this one is in SE London and it rocks, they are so helpful there and will get you anything in that you need. Where in London do you work?

Jez
xx

Oooh try verjuice if you can get your hands on it, also some of the flavoured vinegars. Black rice vinegar is nice, as are the wine ones and the fruit ones.

Jez
xx

I work in West London but live in SE London and travel back home through central london - nice long commute! Where is this shop and I'm sure I can make a detour past it?

I tried the bacon and it was ok. Will add it to an omelette or over a salad.

I was at a cafe the other day and they had loads of flavoured vinegar - one was chocolate cinammon and orange. That just sounds ridiculous! I never even had vinegar on chips but strange how your tastebuds change. Olives were only discovered by me a few years ago and they are one of the things I can't wait for on RTM now.

The shop is in crystal palace hun, on the high street, it is called Planta :)

I work in West London too, how odd ;P

Jez
xx

I am also looking forward to olives! I have always enjoyed them. In fact come week 5 I am going to sit down with a glass of bubbly and 2 or 3 olives mmmm

Kat xx

Oh great - i'll pop by there next week and check it out.

How far out west are you? I'm practically at Heathrow at the moment. God I miss working in the West End!

Still thinking about olives...

Back