Wooster's Veggie RTM

I love it but a lot of non-veggies turn their nose up at it. It does resemble pale blancmange in it's basic state so you have to add herbs, spices etc to liven it up. Unfortunately my favourite way of having it was deep fried and with yellow bean sauce! Now I'm loving all the recipes I've discovered that don't rely on excess calories and fat. It has been working really well by cooking it on a griddle. Just make sure that you get the firm stuff and squeeze as much water as possible out of it. Alternatively, get the soft stuff and blitz it with some frozen fruit for a lovely dessert / smoothie.

I'm going to try out a recipe I've seen for a tofu 'omelette'. This could be taking the tofu obsession a step too far...

ive just made soya mince :)

Ken, tofu prepared correctly can totally rock!!! Wooster, one suggestion for you Frittata!!! Now that you can cook egg. Chop the tofu (marinaded obviously!) lots of fresh herbs, and some garlic etc, pour into a little dish whisk your eggs, season pour over and bake, served with a nice side salad!!! Next week when you can cook veg, pop any old combo in there, totally yummy!

Jez
xx

Great minds think alike as I was going to get some eggs today and do some sort of omelette / frittata type thing tonight. It will be so much nicer when I can add cooked spring onions and mushrooms next week but well worth trying tonight I reckon.

I was also going to add an egg to some cottage cheese and bake that (with the usual herbs, spices etc). I think the recipe was originally a Slimming World one and I've added all sorts to the mix in the past - broccoli and tomato, garlic mushrooms, even seaweed and lemongrass! It's great hot or cold.

Jez - your griddle suggestion was a great idea as it's all I use at the moment. Will be ideal when I can have cooked veg and can griddle portabello mushrooms, aubergine, peppers etc. Can't wait!

I'm
making tofu tonight :)

I'm
not sure how Ima make it :) see tonight although my soya mince last night was amazing

Have you got a griddle pan? If not then TK Maxx have got loads from £5 upwards. Maybe just marinate it in soy sauce, ginger, garlic etc or maybe some chinese or thai spices. Then griddle it until it goes brown. Make sure that you squeeze as much water out of it as possible - stick it between 2 plates and squidge (getting a bit technical...) with kitchen towel to soak up the excess liquid.

I really hope you like it!

Thanks Wooster I'll go tk maxx tomorrow although I believe my George foreman grill has a griddle

I love my George - he is fabulous! :)

Kat xx

How could I forget about my George?! It's been so long since I cooked anything that all my gadgets are literally gathering dust in the cupboards. Hopefully my turbo charged food processor will arrive this weekend so my crudites are going to be julienned to perfection.

he he Wooster, I bought myself a Kenwood Food Processor, I love it!

Kat xx

I was having a look on the BBC Good Food website for low fat fish recipes for ideas and found this. I thought you and Ken may find it useful. I did notice it had potatoes in it but you could leave them out. It was more for the tofu seasoning!

Kat xx

Devilled tofu kebabs recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

What is crudités?

Thanks for the recipe Kat. Which Kenwood did you go for? I went for the Kenwood Multi Pro FP920. Seemed to do much the same as the one £30 less but I had vouchers so thought I'd splash out!

My latest discovery / way to avoid doing anything constructive at work is supercook.com Love the way you can put in the ingredients you can have in each week and it churns out suggested recipes. Some very bizarre ones included but some corkers as well. I really need to veer away from cooking the same tofu dish every night and be a bit braver!

thanks kat for telling what crudites is :)
funny ive been having similar all the time, just never knew it was called that lol

Ok, so I experimented tonight. Big time...

I thought I'd settled on doing an omelette tonight but I've been going off the idea of eggs recently. A lot of the recipes I've been looking up have been from Vegan websites and I think that I really want to cut down on dairy wherever possible. I remembered seeing a tofu omelette so thought I'd recreate it. Without paying too much attention to the recipe...

I blended tofu with balsamic, mixed herbs, garlic and turmeric for some colour. It really didn't blend very well because I should have used soft tofu. So it now resembles yellow porridge. Ploughing on, I stuck it into a pan and prayed for a miracle. 10 minutes later and it's bye bye omelette and hello scrambled eggs. Well at least I tried! It tasted ok but was quite dry (oh for some brown sauce on the side!) so I added balsamic dressing to some yoghurt.

I pick up my processor tomorrow so hopefully that will get my cooking back on track. Or at least ensure that the veggies are sliced to perfection.

Ken - what's the tofu update from you??

didnt have tofu today, well prob go shopping tomorrow and pick some up :)

Back