Wooster's Veggie RTM

Welcome Wooster

I think most of us are eating more veggie stuff and less full on meat since starting maintenance.We all love sharing foodie ideas on here. Look forward to your contributions.
p.s. I heart Tes*o low fat cottage cheese.
How sad is that?

You're not the only one SB! It's my favourite too - have currently got Waitrose in but it's not as good as Tesco

I look forward to being a cottage cheese connoisseur! I've got Sainsbury's and Asda in the fridge at the moment. I googled some recipes for cottage cheese and there are some absolute corkers out there. It's great that by having your ingredients restricted, that you have to come out with some really inventive stuff.

Can't wait for tomorrow night when I get the curried tofu that is marinating at the moment. As for Thursday when I get to have jelly - I'll practically be doing cartwheels!!

Just had cottage cheese with vanilla and splenda. Gorgeous!!

This does sounds delicious - how do you make it/mix it? What amount of vanilla and splenda did you use?

Ta. xx

I'm not too good at weighing or measuring ingredients and it was a bit of an experiment so I'd say about 2 tbl cottage cheese, a few drops of vanilla and 1/3 tsp of splenda. Maybe some more vanilla would have worked better. Reckon it will be great when fruit gets on the menu as this with some berries would be lovely.

yum

That sounds lovely. I do that with the fat free natural yogurt too.
A few drops of the REAL vanilla extract, some cinnamon and a drizzle of runny honey. Manuka if it's pay day, supposed to do wonders for you.
It's lovely with anything:
porridge
fresh fruit
S F jelly
semi defrosted summer fruits (again
I like Tes*o best)
cranberries, nuts, pine nuts
oooooo yummy
:eating:

A great accompainment to fresh fruit is cinammon mixed with honey and drizzled over the fruit. Not quite week one fare though!

I ended up having the Thai tofu tonight which was nice, but not as good as the Chinese version the other night. Total overdose on garlic and ginger as well! Cottage cheese pudding was the highlight again. Can't wait until I can add fruit to it.

Would it be ok to take some salad in to work for 'lunch' tomorrow, and still have my protein in the evening? I wouldn't be eating anything extra in volume, but it would feel like I was having an extra meal.

Jez - I'll look for one of those grills, but I guess I could use the George Foreman until I get one. Would that work the same? Don't think I've ever used Quark, but will get some to experiment with. I've seen the 0% Total Greek Yoghurt recommended as well. The blancmange sounds amazing so can't wait to try that.

I've got my first official RTM meeting on Wednesday night. So do I get jelly on Wednesday night or Thursday?? If the general vote says Thursday then I guess that's breakfast sorted!

Quick update from me. I've managed to survive week one ok although there are hints that my old habits might creep back in. However, I'm trying to identify them and take a 'step back' and confront them head on.

So far, the marinated tofu has been lovely. I love the cottage cheese with cinammon and vanilla and the salads have been fantastic. Who knew that celery had such a great flavour??

Last night's recipe was tofu marinated in soy sauce and splenda and it was almost a teriyaki type flavour. Very nice. I bought a griddle pan so have been using that and it's a vast improvement on just dry frying.

Today I get jelly which I am very excited about. I haven't got many new ingredients yet so hitting the shops at lunchtime to stock up. I'm out tonight but will hopefully be able to knock together a quick dip for tomorrow. Probably yoghurt, mint and cucumber. As a plan b, can anyone recommend a shop bought low fat dip that I could buy?

For me it's all about planning as I'm not at home much so need to think about what I need to take to work, what is going to be eaten in the evening etc etc. However I know that I'm not the only person on LL with a busy schedule, so I just have to make the time.

I'm currently concocting a recipe for sag paneer without the paneer and with cottage cheese instead. Has anyone tried this on RTM?

hi there
if the saag works let us know! i love it

there were a couple of kraft dips i tried,virtually fat free, but didn't like them.

daisy x

I couldn't find any Kraft dips so will just rustle something up tonight. It will only take 5 mins so I'll just have to make time for that. No excuses!

Completely forgot to mention - lost 2.25 pounds last night so very pleased with that loss.

Quick question - what sort of yoghurt are we allowed in week 2? I've got some 0% Greek stuff but can you have the flavoured ones if they are very low fat?

Great result Wooster. Loving your detail.

At week 2 I'm pretty sure you can have any very low fat yoghurt except the ones with fruit pieces in. Also fromage frais. But I think Daisy and Jez can tell you what they had.

I'm not much help, I have pretty much stuck to greek 0% from day one. I just love it and when I looked at the other low fat options I was horrified at some of the sugar content.

Me too

I have the greek 0% yogurt.I love it. You can add honey, fruit, nuts,etc.
You can also make it savoury with tomato puree, lemon or lime juice or curry powder, smoked paprika or whatever.
It's lovely dolloped on fish or salads etc.
yum yum, can't live without it.

sag paneer minus the paneer that sounds delicious
what do you put in the mix for the saag

That sounds very good! I shall look forward to that on my fish!

Kat xx

I have the greek 0% yogurt.I love it. You can add honey, fruit, nuts,etc.
You can also make it savoury with tomato puree, lemon or lime juice or curry powder, smoked paprika or whatever.
It's lovely dolloped on fish or salads etc.
yum yum, can't live without it.

Thanks for your useful advice as always! I think I’ll stick to the 0% Total yoghurt and then just add fruit as and when I can have it. I’ve never had it before but looks like a great option. I made a speedy dip last night with that, BBQ seasoning and spring onions for my snack today. Seems almost edible…

Now the sag paneer is going to be the mother of all culinary experiments! The spices vary that you can add in, but I’m just going to dabble with a few variations. I’ll drain the cottage cheese as much as possible, or maybe bake it a bit before adding it to the spinach mix so that it retains some form. The spinach could also be nice with yoghurt mixed in at the end instead. The joy of cooking for one is that no one sees your recipe disasters!

Slight crisis last night. Went out for dinner and chose Japanese as I knew they had a tofu dish. Turns out it was fried. Had it anyway and did not seem in the least bit greasy – more grilled I thought – and the teriyaki sauce was about 2 tsps. Reckon on 50g of tofu as it was starter sized. I also had a side salad with dressing on the side that I just dipped my fork into. Plus about 5ml (a strawful?) of cocktail just to see what it tasted like (what a confessional!). Even though I felt really full all the way home, that didn’t stop me from having some cottage cheese straight out of the tub just before I went to bed. With cinnamon and vanilla of course. Sheer gluttony.

The guilt is ridiculous. I managed 100% abstinence and now, as soon as I’ve been given some leeway, I veer away from the plan. I know it’s hardly a full scale binge, but it does make me panic a bit.

Sorry for the rant / vent. I have been dwelling on it all day and just wanted to write it down so that I could see it in black and white and act rationally about it.

Don't beat yourself up too much Wooster - it's difficult putting everything we've learned into practice. The important thing is to learn from it and move on. I think we have probably all been there, as overeating goes cottage cheese isn't too bad. Can you remember what you were thinking as you went to the fridge and try to work out what your emotions were - easier said than done I know.
I had the same problem eating out the other day, ordered plain seabass and it came fried, unfortunately mine was greasy and horrible though.
You are doing fine so far xx

Wooster, take it easy hun, be kind to yourself. this is all so new and strange - I still feel that in week 8!! Your food choices sound great. Looking forward to hearing how your saag works out.

Jez
xx

Wooster, mark it up as an experience to note for behaviour pattern. RTM is a learning experience. Putting the CBT and TA into practice. And it will take Practice. That means you won't get it right every time, but you can learn from slips.

Be kind on yourself and tomorrow you're right back on programme a little wiser.

xx

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm going to read back over my books to ensure that everything actually went in and that I can now put it into practise. I haven't lost any weight this week, in fact I am 2 pounds heavier than this time last week so this is a very new experience after 6 months of consistent losses. Logic says that this is not 2 pounds of fat, but it's still a bit worrying for me.

This weekend I'm going to plan, weigh all my portions, and be a good student!

I have to say that using 0% Total as a base for dips is amazing! Think I'll have either a curried one, or Tsatziki today. More than happy with the food choices I've got at the moment.

Dinner will be some kind of scrambled tofu in lettuce wraps. Will report back with any successes...

Back