Worried about my little girl, any advise??

Hope everything works out with your daughter. My son didn't start walking till he was 14months - and is still not talking now - he's 2 years and 2 months old - so am starting to get a little concerned about him. But I hope everything works out fine for your daughter.

My daughter was 17 months before she walked. x

Bum shufflers as a rule walk later than crawlers I was a bum shuffler and also a cubby baby mum just said I was too fat to walk lol anyhow I walked at 18 months.

My 3 year old didnt walk till she was 21 months and also barely spoke at 18 months she couldnt even follow simple instructions like give me your cup or go get the ball she would just look at you as if you were stupid. She only started saying Mummy at around 18 months. We were reffered to the hospital basically because when she was 18 months she had a febrile convulsion and was admitted then through the normal questioning they asked if she was still running around and talking ok and I said well she doesnt walk and doesnt talk this was at 17 months they then ran around mutttering to eachother and sent doctor after doctor in and decided she needed referring. We then attended appointments at the hospital where she was diagnosed with developmental delay by the time she went back for her next appointment she had started walking but not confidently and was saying 1 or 2 words she was then sent for speech therapy. Fast forward to now and she has been discharged from the hospital they said her large motor skills are still slightly behind other 3 year olds in that she finds steps kerbs difficult and she cant jump (very cute when she tries because she doesnt leave the floor lol) but in some of her other tests she came out above a 3 year old.

All kids are different and usually catch up in the end just because they dont walk or talk till late doesnt mean they have something wrong with them look for other things they can do as well, the bigger picture. Like play independantly, build bricks, pretend to drink from a tea set, feed a doll , scribble with a crayon, take things out of bags and put them back in, look for things you hide under a tea towel, understanding what you are saying to them ect ect ect these are all things that will tell you that your child has other understanding of the world around them

((hugs)) anyway I know how worrying it can be.

Thanks, actually she can do an awful lot of things and we realised today that she will clap her hands if you ask her, she doesn't need us to do it first, so that's encouraging.

Just thought I'd let you all know that the doctor has referred Evie for a hearing test and says he'll wait until the new year to decide if she needs speech therapy. He's not worried about her bum shuffling and says she definitely doesn't show signs of autism, really relieved :O)

Phew !!!! So pleased to hear that. You must be so relieved.

How do you feel about her hearing ?

hugs xxxx

thanks for letting us know, really pleased at the news xx

Thanks for letting us know, I was wondering if you'd had your appointment yet. I'm glad that you feel a bit better about it now xx

That's such a relieve, I think as mums we get a lot of pressure for our children to be doing certain things at a particular age.

I remember when Lydia was two MiL said she should be using a potty by now, put her in knickers & she'll soon learn. Being young & wanting to please I did, well I was the one to learn, it was no fun running round cleaning up. In the end Lydia was nearly 3 before she was potty trained, but she did it in her own time.

Phew - what a relief! Really glad there's no sign of autism. Good luck for the hearing tests. X

Phew !!!! So pleased to hear that. You must be so relieved.

How do you feel about her hearing ?

hugs xxxx

I'm not too concerned about the hearing thing, i know she's not deaf as she will react to calling her name, but it could be glue ear that could affect her ability to copy words, but in itself is not serious and is treatable.

Hi Maroodive, I'm so glad that your appointment went well. My daughter who is now 12 didn't talk till she was well over 2years old. We were very worried and the HV came to see us and her at home so she was relaxed in her own environment and the HV said after observing her that she was concentrating so much on things she was going that she simply couldn't be bothered to speak and that to give it time... well we did and the when she did speak it was in sentences.... not words. I still remember it, we were in the car and had just passed some people out horse riding down a country lane and she took her thumb out and said " me do that horsey thing" well we nearly crashed the car we were soooo shocked!! Well 10 years on and she hasn't stopped talking :) ;)

And my boy was diagnosed with glue ear when he kept failing his hearing tests. I have to say I did refuse to let them operate on him when he wasn't even 1 but since then hes had many ops but was discharged from the care of the hospital last year with near perfect hearing. Hes 10 now.

The thing is no matter how many people tell you their stories and give you their experiences each child is different, no two are ever going to be the same. Your child is the most precious thing in the whole word and you will worry FOREVER! It never stops no matter how old they get. I cant tell you not to worry, that would be like saying don't breath, my advise to you would be just enjoy you baby live each day to the full and follow your gut instinct. I didn't mean to lecture so sorry if it sounds that way. xx

Thanks Piglet, my little girl sucks her thumb too, so i can totally imagine that she is just taking everything in and one day she will take her thumb out and shock us all!!! :O)

My eldest's first words were. 'Mummy need medicine now'. She was right. She always had her medicine after breakfast. She's the same now in as much as she will not attempt anything until she is sure she can do it., She will not try and fail. SHe'll keep looking and learning until she has it sussed. She's 10 now.

Back