worst memory of being fat

I can remember a couple of years ago whilst working at a place I hated. I had not long broken up with a bloke i'd been with two years so was pretty down.
I joined WW and was doing really well and was really dedicated. There were christmas chocolates doing the rounds and since I wernt having any they ended up coming to a stop at my desk.
The office manager went into the service managers office and said "oh thats a good idea, leaving the chocolates on the fatties desk, no more for anyone else"

I'm known for having a bit of a temper and just saw red, I shouted "I may be fat but I aint deaf" and threw these b*oody chocolates all over the floor. This was before running off in tears of course!!!

I hated having to walk like John Wayne to stop my sore thighs rubbing together on the way back from the beach. I can remember slapping vaseline on once to try and avoid the embaressment.

I just hate the look you get when you meet someone and they were obviously not expecting you to be fat. Boyfriends work mates and things like that, its a horrible feeling.

I am a beauty therapist and I would never dream of speaking about someones body the way those girls spoke to you. All my clients are 'normal' figured ladies, I am sure the reason some of them have stayed with me so long as I'm bigger than them and dont judge them!
I offer tanning in peoples own homes so they dont have the feeling of being on show.

I was on a night out with friends, all pretty and slim and an equal amount of blokes being particularly letchy were going on and we were ignoring them, and one said to me "don't be shy love, I like big girls" :mad:

When I got ran over at 15 I was "plump" :eek: and had a very and still do have a very slim sister. My dad spent days telling people "its a good job its was the eldest and not the little one", as if it was my weight that saved me :cry:

some of these are so hard to read! hugs to all xx

some of these are so hard to read! hugs to all xx

I know its bloody awful but its what can happen to us that are overweight.

I may be fat but thank god my kids areant, i keep a very close eye on what they eat as i dont want any of the above happening to them.

i know, i don't have kids but when i do i can imagine i will be constantly stressed that they will go through the same thing i have gone through, a lifelong battle with the bulge! especially as my OH has recently lost 8 stone, so they may not be so lucky in the genetic lottery.

I may be fat but thank god my kids areant, i keep a very close eye on what they eat as i dont want any of the above happening to them.

Same here all my kids are normal weight, infact my second eldest daughter is underweight ( never would have thought she was 10lbs 5oz and 60cm long when born )

she is small and have legs that could be mistaken for cotton with knots for knees lol.

but if i did see the weight creeping on i would try my hardest to make the healthy changes needed to get the weigh back down and nip it in the bud

Most humiliating experiences?

There was this great guy at school who was (and is) the sweetest guy ever! It was our last day and he was going round hugging people. He got to me, bent down to lift me up and I didn't move and neither did he! I stayed firmly planted on the ground as even the strongest guy in the year couldn't lift me. If that wasn't bad enough, all our classmates were around and he just couldn't stop saying how sorry he was!! I don't know who was more mortified tbh!

Mother's comments are also pretty high on the embarrassment scale. Saying things like "no wonder you're single, who in their right mind would want to touch someone as fat and ugly as you?" leave a pretty huge dent in the self esteem right? I'm not sure if she's just taken the 'cruel to be kind' think a lil far o_O

But I bet there's plenty of people who are motivated by the 'I'm going to prove you wrong' track!

:grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg:To everyone! Seriously. Really does show how mean people can be, but honestly, it's their problem..

I agree totally with the kiss my ass comment, but I know it's hard to think that at the time.

Lind - I'd have marched back into that salon and asked for my tip back! :mad:

Same here all my kids are normal weight, infact my second eldest daughter is underweight ( never would have thought she was 10lbs 5oz and 60cm long when born )

she is small and have legs that could be mistaken for cotton with knots for knees lol.

but if i did see the weight creeping on i would try my hardest to make the healthy changes needed to get the weigh back down and nip it in the bud

I try really hard to give my kids a balanced diet and keep them at normal weight, my OH dad died at 57 due to being over weight, and as I was an over weight child , I don't want my kids to suffer the same abuse at school...:gen126::gen126::gen126: big hugs for everyone on here

:grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg:To everyone! Seriously. Really does show how mean people can be, but honestly, it's their problem..

I agree totally with the kiss my ass comment, but I know it's hard to think that at the time.

Lind - I'd have marched back into that salon and asked for my tip back! :mad:

Yes I should have, but by the time I'd got over it and got angry about it I had moved 150 miles away.

I wish I had said something at the time!! :confused:

Some of these stories are so sad. Why do people think they can just say these things without any sort of come back on them.

My hubby's ex emails me on a regular basis just to tell me I'm fat. I don't reply and I have stopped reading them now.

:gen126::gen126::gen126::gen126::gen126: Hugs for everyone.

Lind, do feel for you. But as for the ex... who is he with now, huh? That one is pure sour grapes!

Yes I should have, but by the time I'd got over it and got angry about it I had moved 150 miles away.

Some of these stories are so sad. Why do people think they can just say these things without any sort of come back on them.

My hubby's ex emails me on a regular basis just to tell me I'm fat. I don't reply and I have stopped reading them now.

the only thing she can think of to get at you, such sour grapes cos you married him.....:jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous: you should be laughing at her...

I have had so many its hard to remember them!

When i was in Junior school maybe year 5 these 3 skinny pretty girls would pick on me about my weight so i would go home crying nearly everyday my dad told me to stand up for myself which i did and it got worse eventually my mum rang in and told the head, the nxt day she took all of us in the office and said to me "well you have obviously done something to offend them, it takes two to tango" i ran straight out of there and home i didnt go to school for a week and after my dad threatened her she came round and appoligised.

My sister used to make herself sick and was all of about 7 stone and then would stand infront of me if i was looking in the mirror and tell me how fat she was!

more recently i have had a guy shout that my bike wasnt big enough for me and a guy beeb as he was passing me at traffic lights and shouting fatty,i was thinkin imagine if i was like 8 1/2 months pregnant i think it would of sent me into labour i jumped that much, people just dont think what situation others are in or how people feel.

I know when i had lost alot in Secondary school it took one nasty comment and i was binge eating again, but at work there are so many people who keep saying how good i look and how they can tell that i have lost it helps keep me on track and for get about D**kheads.

Love to all of you XXXXX

:eek::eek::eek: I have been literally like that for a lot of these posts, it's so sad how mean people can be!

I know some people were talking about their kids. Some stats we learnt in our psychology lecture the other day (on disordered eating, including anorexia, bulemia, and bingeing/obesity):

If neither parents are obese/overweight, then child has a 4-6% chance of being overweight.
If one parent is obese/overweight it goes up to 10-12%
If both are overweight/obese it goes up to about 25-30% chance of being overweight!

So for me if I ever have kids I really want to be a normal/healthy weight! I really wouldn't want my kids going through anything like that, kids can be harsh enough as it is without a reason to really pick on someone.

I have had a few comments over the years I can't really remember specifics I do remember one from my friends dad saying something like liking girls who were "Dairy fed" and looking at me.
Also a few from my grandparents..
But I tend to let them roll off my back on the whole. For me, getting upset about those comments is only giving power to them.

I'm actually planning to do my psychology research project on this; social attitudes to obesity.

It's one of those things with the shop, I'm sure it really hurt. :(

Your hubbies ex needs help.. :eek: jeez where does she get off? Can you not ban her? or change your email addy? I'd be reporting her to her ISP (internet service provider) abusive emails should be stopped. :mad:
((hugs))

Hi Purple Hugs.

We just leave the ex to it. We don't even open her mails anymore. She will get the message eventually, though she is a slow learner.:p

Thought about changing mail address and reporting her but my hubby has the mail addy on all his business cards and that would cost too much money to change all that just because of her. :jelous:

People are harsh. But these are the type of people who'll comment on everyone, not just because you're fat.

I've been lucky that I haven't heard anyone comment on my weight, although I'm sure many have.

The most recent thing was, a lady from America comes into where I work regularly. She went back to America for a holiday at Christmas and got everyone small presents when she came back. She got me a t-shirt in a size L that was HUGE!!! I felt horrible and asked my boyfriend, 'is this the size people see me as?'. I'm a size 14 so not that big by any means. She's a lovely lady but it did make me feel so bad.

My goal is to be a size 10 or maybe 8 if I can stick it. Can't wait to buy size S or maybe XS!!

hmm, i didn't really get a lot of bad comments (not counting the ones from my parents and other family members), but i was once told a very "nice" joke at a supermarket by some guys. it went like this:
- how do u have sex with a fat person?
- you go in after the third wave...
Cute, huh? :| it didn't really upset me that much, i basically ignored them, but still, it's not a nice thing to say.

reading these its weird how for example youre having a great time/holiday but one person says sowt about your weight and thats the only thing you can remember about that time all the good stuff flys out the windy and you just remember the ***** comments.

when i was in high school i was about a size 12/14 but this group of boys in the year above would chant "who ate all the pies" when i was near them, one day the leader of the group was on his own and i grabbed him and started laying in to him he ripped a necklace from my neck and thats all the teacher seen he got suspended haha, theres one good thing about being fat believe it or not and its the fact you have extra weight behind you that you dont fall so easily if pushed and a wee push fae you can make a person tumble its great xxx

Back