would you submit your story?

Crys

Once you hit target, will you be submitting your story to slimming world? Do you think it'd make interesting reading? Would you want to have your pics in the magazine?

My consultant has said to me that I should share my story, but I am a bit wary. I think its not so much the sharing of my 'story' that puts me off but all the attention from the actual photoshoot.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually taken the plunge, and what their experiences are :)

Definitely not! I am not that interesting, I don't have a "sob story" to tell, and at some point someone would be bound to use the word "journey" and I would have to restrain myself from thumping them.

Best not, I think!!!

me too. I'd definitely consider it (its a long way off at the mo), particularly as I'm doing it to get my BMI low enough for nhs fertility treatment, and it'd be great to do it if it all worked out and I had a baby thanks to slimming world :)

You cant get much better than that as a reason to want to lose weight Crys. I hope your dreams come true :)

Good luck to any who apply to go in the magazine - it's supposedly a fantastic day if you get selected. I did apply - but not fitting the main demographic of the people they select - I got a "thanks but no thanks" mail back from them (but at least they took the time to read through as there were comments in there that they could have only got by reading through).

I will also say that it took them about 3 months to respond - a dreadfully long time. So be warned about that.

Definitely not! I am not that interesting, I don't have a "sob story" to tell, and at some point someone would be bound to use the word "journey" and I would have to restrain myself from thumping them.

Best not, I think!!!

Lol couldn't agree more! :D

IanH, I can't believe you didnt' get in!

I have been given the form but never filled it in. I'd say my "story" is the same as many - I eat healthy meals but like my treats too much. I love take aways and chocolate and sweets and can't restrict these things. It's an up and down battle.

What I do think is different from most "stories" is that I don't find it easy, the weight doesn't just fall off and I never ever found it easy to stay at target. A lot of the stories say how easy it is and how they never feel deprived. Bo**ocks I say! I know we can have anything but I still feel deprived having boiled instead of egg fried rice from the Chinese.

Anyway, I digress..... I'd like to do it but I doubt I would.

Cocktailprincess has done it on the BodyOptimise site but I think she just sent her pics in, didn't get the makeover.

I'd never do it, I'd be horrified if people I knew found out how much I used to weigh! Also, I'm one of the most boring people on the planet so doubt I have any 'story' to tell other than girl got fat and eventually did something about it. Good luck to all who are interested though!

Good luck to any who apply to go in the magazine - it's supposedly a fantastic day if you get selected. I did apply - but not fitting the main demographic of the people they select - I got a "thanks but no thanks" mail back from them (but at least they took the time to read through as there were comments in there that they could have only got by reading through).

Why on earth would they not want you in it?! you've done so well, SW should be delighted that someone who has lost so much wants to appear in their mag!

x

I got the line "With so many people applying and with only 7 magazines a year - it's hard to pick out people to go in".

But you look through the magazines - if they feature say 8 members - only one will be male. Generally - no-one who features in the magazine has lost more then 8st (i know they featured Rebecca Wheatly last year mind who has lost over 12st - but that's an exception rather then the norm) - and i'm not conventionally pretty to look at. :)

Simply put - i don't fit the demographic of the people who buy the magazine - especially those who buy it who aren't members - who are females, and typically maybe want to loose between 2 and 5 stone. As it's a marketing tool to hopefully drive people through the doors - they need to prove to those non-members that it is successful - and hence why they choose the people they do.

I never thought I stood a chance when I applied - i just wanted to finally be able to have an answer whenever someone asked "Why don't you go for the magazine".

Thats a pity Ian. I am always looking for someone in the mag who has lost alot due to the fact I have a lot to lose and judging by the stats you see on here there are loads of us in the 300lb's as a starting point.

I have a long way to go yet but could never ever go in the mag as my children are adopted and giving out my details and pics could be a massive security risk for my children but in my dreams, I'd love to wave the flag for the bigger members.

Im really not sure to b honest. The stories have never really inspired me (shock horror) because my battle with my weight is a personal one and everyone has to deal with different issus whilst losing weight. And mine probably isnt one i want to share with the world. Plus....i think the people on this site are more of an inspiration to me. Ian, youve done fab and looking at your stats spurs me on! x

ive heard of too many people such as ian with fantastic stories and they are so fantastically inspirational and dont get in that im damn sure no one is interested in my story!!! lol x

TBH I get a little bored reading what is basically the same story every magazine, i'm delighted for the people featured in it but it seems to be rare that any particular one of them stands out and makes me feel especially inspired.

What does inspire me is seeing that a man (you Ian!) has lost over 200lb and I would love to see something like this in the mag. I think you have done fab and seeing that you can lose that much really encourages me that I can lose my last 40lb.

I do agree though that it is just a marketing tool, it's a real shame but at least now you do have a reply to the 'why don't you go in the manazine?' comments.

Yeah- I am on the bodyoptimise website! (Not sure if that means I am also on the main site- feel free to search 'Claire Pratt' in the stories)

I amswered an online questionairre and they contacted me and asked for more info. I told them I was happy to write it myself and wanted to read over what they published before it was added (get me! a bit of stardom and I turned into a diva!)

They never mentioned my weight before/after, just how much I had lost. I never got a day out, just submitted some photos myself.

I think the thought of the magazine leaves me in 2 minds- do I want EVERYONE reading about my ability to turn down bombay mix MORE than I want a free day out and makeover............. the jury is out on that one!

I would - but only if I got the day out and the make-up, clothes bit of the experience thank-you-very-much.
Not that I've got much of a story to tell - just the usual.

Back