WWYD? Help and advice needed :)

Mandana

Hi guys

Long time no chat!

Just wanted your spin on a dilemma I have ....

Some of you might know I embarked on my massive weight-loss journey with LL back in November 2004. 9.5 months later I'd reached my goal of losing just over 10 stone. That's the good part!

Since then I've managed to put on a few of those lost stones and have been trying to get them off.

Last summer I went to Weight Watchers and tried that way, and since then I've dabbled with the CD, low fat, Gi and more recently, the Ayurvedic principles.

Now here is my dilemma ...

A month ago I went to see this holistic therapist in London to get sound nutritional advice using the Ancient Indian Ayurvedic Medicine principles (eating the right foods for your body type - hard to explain, but if you google you'll find out all about it - I'm Kapha).

This guy put me on a holistic detox diet, which I didn't go to him for, and a whole heap of supplements (about 26 a day). You can read all about it here .. http://www.minimins.com/nutrition-health-beauty/7115-holistic-detox.html

Now although I've stuck to his regime for 4 weeks (would have been 3 but I had 'flu last week [the real deal :cry: ] and couldn't get out of bed, never mind travel to London) I've not lost a whole heap of weight. I've lost about 7 lbs in total, which isn't bad, and I do feel much better for not eating bread, potatoes, dairy products, red meat etc., etc.

Thing is, my OH and members of my family are beginning to label me a 'diet-freak' which I don't want. My OH has watched the Paul McKenna series (which I taped from GMTV back in January) and for once he agrees wholeheartedly with PM's principles - eat when you're hungry, stop when full, eat what you want ....

So he has said he will book us onto PM's seminar in March if I want to go. He has put on pretty much 100% of the weight he lost on LL while I've put on far less than that. In fact, if you look at my weight history, apart from the odd pound or two, I have maintained my weight since May/June last year - which is a first for me!

So ...

Do I go tomorrow and see this bloke to have more cupping, reflexology, more supplements and spend another £300, or follow his principles (which aren't that far removed from 'Dr" Gillian McKeith's) and go to see PM instead in March?

I need some help and guidance here girls as I know I've done well maintaining, but would like to lose about 2 stone. Am I clutching at every straw passed in my direction???

Mandana x

Well the initial consultation was £150 and the supplements came to £160

The 2nd consultation was £120 and supplements about £140

So I'd hazard a guess that tomorrow's consultation will be around the same.

I spent far more on LL, and PM is £300 per person for his seminar.

I dread to think how much I've spent over the years on dieting. I don't want to diet anymore .. I just want to be 'normal' and eat 'normally' .. and to be honest I think I have been for the first time in my life this past 4 weeks. Not been on packs after a 'blow-out'. So seem to be getting somewhere ... ??

Just get PM CD if you think he could help. I know its great to see him in person but you still get the full whack of the principles

300 sheets on what seems to be abit 'shady'...i may be wrong but be very VERY careful about taking supplements in large quantities particularly as they are not regulated...which most arent.

I am a freak about people taking certain things...it worries me what people will take once a label is placed on it...they can be toxic or worse, build up over a long time

you wanna lose the weight, i undersand that but it seem strange to me...and you will probably be losing £ instead of lbs

Hope that reads well...its tough to make a point in print.

this seems like snake oil...you didnt go to him for it and BLAM you ended up being roped in with no doubt very very false promises...break free now. Dont answer any calls.

Good luck girl. and please be careful what you do

Ivy

Thanks Ivy .. I understand where you're coming from.

He can't be that bad seeing as he's treated many rich and famous celebs (Gwynth Paltrow, Princess Di to name only 2) and if he was a 'Quack' he would be run out of his premises in London faster than I could put on a stone (which isn't long, I can tell you!!).

Apart from the 'flu (which I'm still recovering from) I do feel better .. but that's probably a lot to do with the fresh veg I've been eating and chicken & fish.

And I'm sleeping better too ... so it can't be that bad. But is it worth all I've spent?

Then again, if I don't see it through, will what I've spent already be totally in vain??

I'm in such a dilemma!

Hi guys

Long time no chat!

Just wanted your spin on a dilemma I have ....

Some of you might know I embarked on my massive weight-loss journey with LL back in November 2004. 9.5 months later I'd reached my goal of losing just over 10 stone. That's the good part!

Since then I've managed to put on a few of those lost stones and have been trying to get them off.

Last summer I went to Weight Watchers and tried that way, and since then I've dabbled with the CD, low fat, Gi and more recently, the Ayurvedic principles.

Now here is my dilemma ...

A month ago I went to see this holistic therapist in London to get sound nutritional advice using the Ancient Indian Ayurvedic Medicine principles (eating the right foods for your body type - hard to explain, but if you google you'll find out all about it - I'm Kapha).

This guy put me on a holistic detox diet, which I didn't go to him for, and a whole heap of supplements (about 26 a day). You can read all about it here .. http://www.minimins.com/nutrition-health-beauty/7115-holistic-detox.html

Now although I've stuck to his regime for 4 weeks (would have been 3 but I had 'flu last week [the real deal :cry: ] and couldn't get out of bed, never mind travel to London) I've not lost a whole heap of weight. I've lost about 7 lbs in total, which isn't bad, and I do feel much better for not eating bread, potatoes, dairy products, red meat etc., etc.

Thing is, my OH and members of my family are beginning to label me a 'diet-freak' which I don't want. My OH has watched the Paul McKenna series (which I taped from GMTV back in January) and for once he agrees wholeheartedly with PM's principles - eat when you're hungry, stop when full, eat what you want ....

So he has said he will book us onto PM's seminar in March if I want to go. He has put on pretty much 100% of the weight he lost on LL while I've put on far less than that. In fact, if you look at my weight history, apart from the odd pound or two, I have maintained my weight since May/June last year - which is a first for me!

So ...

Do I go tomorrow and see this bloke to have more cupping, reflexology, more supplements and spend another £300, or follow his principles (which aren't that far removed from 'Dr" Gillian McKeith's) and go to see PM instead in March?

I need some help and guidance here girls as I know I've done well maintaining, but would like to lose about 2 stone. Am I clutching at every straw passed in my direction???

Mandana x

Hi Mandana :)

I remember your journey. Your's was the first thread I ever read on DH. My question to you.

What do YOU want to do?

Lacey xx:D

Ha ha ... good question Isis! One I haven't asked myself!

I guess the answer would be in my OP .. to be a 'normal' slim person - one who eats but not to excess and manages to maintain her weight, and/or lose some.

Didn't really think about it too much until my OH pointed out that I have in fact maintained for over half a year - that's a definite plus for me.

So now I'd like to lose some - pounds in weight, not pounds in money - and keep it off. Forever!

You have to do what you believe in and you feel confident in....did you have a good counsellor with lighter life?
Would it be worth returning for more counselling?
Go with what you feel works for you - we all respond to different things in different ways
Good luck

Hi Mandana,

Speaking as a Paul Mckenna devotee you know what I am recommending! I can honestly say that the PMcK is liberating, it is based in the "real world" and once you get the hang of it its straightforward. It also really helps deal with food obsession. His seminars are said to be fantastic and it might be just the thing to kick-start you into the system.

The only down side that I must point out is that you have to accept that weight loss may be slow (1lb per week) and that you also should try to be more active aswell. If you want to lose the 2 stone quickly then PMcK may not be for you BUT if you take your time and do it this way once it comes off it will most likely stay off because you will be eating this way for life.

Good luck with your decision.

Ax

Oh Mandana honey.....sometimes, I think that my role in life is to be your guardian angel and protect you!!! ;) ;)

You know I'm gonna tell it like it is....I have been to see PMcK twice - thinking that each time would be different but it isn't really! Having said that though, would I go again? Yes, if I needed to, yes to reinforce some of the principles learned. Do I need to go to follow his priniciples? Course not, the book is just as good and the accompanying CD in the back is great if used daily!

However, as you know...I know your story and I would advise you to go. Why? You would have the opportunity to truly learn how to eat and live as a "thin person" but even better than that for you, is that you will meet people who's stories (very similar to your own) will have an impact on you! I am thinking of one person in particular, and will PM you on that one!

It's time to let go of the 'fat' hunny and start on the rest of your journey.....as I've said to you before, its time to change the strategy. Using the same old, out of date strategy is what puts us back where we were...change it up and do something different.

Please...this post is aimed directly at Mandana ... so please don;t anyone think that I am either trivialising or "bad mouthing" their chosen diet..I am not! Mandana....the VLCD route is no longer for you as you have realised but then neither are fads either! Give yourself a break, learn something new and LIVE as a slim person.

The great thing about PMcK is that both you and hubby will benefit, aside from the seminar...it won't cost you a thing!

Good luck, hun....xx

Ha ha ... good question Isis! One I haven't asked myself!

I guess the answer would be in my OP .. to be a 'normal' slim person - one who eats but not to excess and manages to maintain her weight, and/or lose some.

Didn't really think about it too much until my OH pointed out that I have in fact maintained for over half a year - that's a definite plus for me.

So now I'd like to lose some - pounds in weight, not pounds in money - and keep it off. Forever!

You have a fab OH who has reminded you that you have maintained for over half a year.:)

I notice that you said he has put on almost 100% of the weight he lost but you haven't. I don't know how you strike a balance so that you can both choose your own paths to success and maintainence and support each other, but if anyone can, you can.

You know it's not selfish to put yourself first. You're a veteran at this and I know you will find what's right for YOU.

Lacey xxx

How about going with the principles for a while and doing nothing else? See if it works on its own, if its like Gillian Mckeiths then I can't see any problem with that, and you pay no one!

On the other hand if you and your hubby both attend the seminar and wholeheartedly go ahead with what is learned there, there is a great chance of you moving forward together!

Others on here obviously know you whereas I'm just sticking my nose in so feel free to ignore me.

I'm not convinced at what the guy you've been to see is charging you for, I don't care if he's treated the rich and famous, they can be just as desperate and gullible as the rest of us are, moreso even. Not that I am meaning to say you are desperate or gullible I hasten to add, only that treating Princess Di doesn't make it 'real' nor will it mean it will work for you even if it is.

Sorry I've not been much help...lol

kick me out the thread if you like!

Mags
xxx

Hello me darlin :p

my dilema is that I have no answer for you, but just wanted to say 'hi ':D

remember ' u deserve to be happy'

Hope things are a bit clearer for you in your mind, you have some great advice there..

Good luck :p

Another Paul McKenna fan here. I have been very successful just by following his system (currently 45lbs in just over 7 months, no plateau at all and still losing). I have never been to one of his seminars.

Hello everyone

Thank you so much for your posts and support. Diva, you really make me smile! I think you must be my Guardian Angel in disguise! I remember how you encouraged, advised, supported and corrected me at the beginning of my journey .. nothing changes :)

With regards to my appointment today - I decided I would still go as he does seem to have done some good. But I'm feeling really rough still after my bout of 'flu, so rang up to postpone.

The receptionist said there would be a cancellation charge for the missed appointment - full price :eek:

I told her I'm not well, that I have a bad chest infection and am waiting to see the Dr for some antibiotics, so she will get back to me on this. If he (tries) to charge I won't be going back. I do understand that missed appointments are a nusience, but in this case I really think it would be out of order, considering I had to cancel last week too (with more notice).

Anyway, I'll wait to hear back from them.

I think we will go and see PMcK in March - just need to book up now. Does anyone have a postcode they can let me have to save that £25?

In the meantime I think I'll go to bed and rest up as I'm really not right :wave_cry:

Mandana x

Back