Xenical and exisiting medication?

hells belle

Hi all

I have of course, checked with my GP, my Endocrinologist and my pharmacist that Xenical is safe to take with my exisitng meds, as in they won't react with or against each other...but I can't help but wonder if, with the reported..ahem...side effects that can be experienced whilst on Xenical...if all that flushing (pardon the pun) would in some way affect the efficacy of my existing medication?

I'm on anti-thyroid drugs for hyperthyroidsim, and also medication for high blood pressure. My thyroid is *SO* twitchy at the best of times...I just hope Xenical won't upset the fine balance of medication that my Endo and I have been striving for.

Anyone else here on exisiting medication for other health issues, and have you noticed any difference in them working or not?

I plan to start on the Xenical tomorrow (Sunday) as I am out all night tonight on an investigation, in a remote area, with basically a group of strangers... :eek:

If both your GP and pharmacist say that xenical is alright to take with your medication then i wouldn't worry. Also Xenical hold in the gut im no expert but wouldn't normal medication absorb into the blood?

Either way im sure you'll be fine.

You'll be fine,your doctor wouldn't have given you xenical if it was going to affect your other medications.

Im on 2 other medications as well as xenical and have not noticed any difference. The other meds are still working for me :)

Thanks, I'm sure your right :thumbsup:

I just have all these little questions keep popping into my head right now :rolleyes:

If you follow the 5% fat rule, and have no more than 15g of fat per meal, then you shouldn't have any side effects at all, therefore you should be ok with your other meds :)
x

xenical just mucks up your digestion :p

Hiya, I take 2 types of medication for high blood pressure and have had no problems taking Xenical as well.

Best of luck. Shorty x

Thanks all...my next lot of blood tests (thyroid) are due in 2 weeks so I guess I'll know for sure by then.

On Day 3 of my Xenical journey now, with no side effects - at all (is that good thing?)...and checking my blood pressure each morning before breakfast, and all looks good from the BP side of things.

Side effects don't prove the tablets are working, they just prove you've eaten too much fat, so yep no side effects is a good thing :)
x

If you are really concerned about xenical affecting the absorbtion of your other meds, take the meds more than an hour before or after xenical. If they can't be eaten on an empty stomach, have a piece of fruit first.

Back