Xenical available?

Having lost a small amount of weight my GP gave me a script for Xenical. When I went to the chemist they said it wouldn't be able to get any for months as there was a shortage. I've now put the weight back on!:sigh: Is it available again?

Hi

It's been available again for about 4 months

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks toofatkat, I'll contact my GP for another script.

Hi there,

Even if it's been unavailable for a while, surely the GP could have given you a Substitute replacement instead.x

Hi Eliza, the GP said that there wasn't a substitute:(

Hey hun,It was worth a try.x

Just looked it up for you and the best alternative to Xenical is ALLI. You can find this product at most Chemists.
Hope that this helps.x

There's no substitute but Alli is half strength orlistat. That's why Alli also went out if production last year when there was a manufacturing problem. But obviously now it's dieted you can get both freely.

Just went back to the Doc's this week for the first time in months to get put back onto Xenical. The doctor wrote me the prescription but told me I may have problems getting it as it's apparently not being made??? At the pharmacy the girl said she wasn't sure if they had it and said she'd just check if they had some but luckily they did. Next time I go to the Doctor's should I be asking for Orlistat on my prescription and not Xenical, does anyone know what's going on with them both and if they are still in production?

Hi Alison! I haven't seen the actual Xenical for a long time, but have no trouble at all getting the Teva Orlistat every month. Not sure if they still make Xenical or not, so it's probably worth getting a prescription for Orlistat. :) xx

Tracy I've bad xenical since it came back into production. In fact I've had more xen than teva.

toofatkat said:
Tracy I've bad xenical since it came back into production. In fact I've had more xen than teva.

Ah right, it must depend on the area then! :) xx

It's weird though because before and during the shortage I had mostly teva

Ah okay, so I guess it's okay for Xenical or Orlistat to be put on the prescriptions? Is Teva the same as both of those?

Hi Tracy *waves* how are you? Along with the Xenical prescription I've also got 12 weeks free Weight Watchers meetings so I'll be starting that on Wednesday :)

xAlisonx said:
Ah okay, so I guess it's okay for Xenical or Orlistat to be put on the prescriptions? Is Teva the same as both of those?

Hi Tracy *waves* how are you? Along with the Xenical prescription I've also got 12 weeks free Weight Watchers meetings so I'll be starting that on Wednesday :)

Hi Alison, I'm good thanks, how about you? Is the free WW meetings an NHS thing? Look forward to reading how you get on with them - nothing like that was ever suggested to me, but I probably would've turned it down anyway as I'm not to good at groups, lol. :)

You may have an issue with the Xen if the prescription says the wrong thing - I had to get mine changed when they started only having Teva, as they said they weren't interchangeable, but you may have a different experience of it. Haven't taken any today, as it's Kathryn's birthday tomorrow and we're off to Buffet Island ( all you can eat Chinese) - yum yum, but very naughty! :) xx

As long as Orlistat is on the prescription then everything should be fine as this is the name of the ingredient contained in the tablet. Xenical is a trade name and if it is on the prescription many chemists will only dispense Xenical which is made by Roche. It just happens to be what they call their Orlistat. Teva are a different manufacturer again and they just call their Orlistat Orlistat. The problem again arises if the Dr puts "Teva" anywhere on the prescription, then the chemist may feel obliged only to dispense Orlistat which is made by Teva. If that makes sense. Clear as mud.

KB x

KittyBling said:
As long as Orlistat is on the prescription then everything should be fine as this is the name of the ingredient contained in the tablet. Xenical is a trade name and if it is on the prescription many chemists will only dispense Xenical which is made by Roche. It just happens to be what they call their Orlistat. Teva are a different manufacturer again and they just call their Orlistat Orlistat. The problem again arises if the Dr puts "Teva" anywhere on the prescription, then the chemist may feel obliged only to dispense Orlistat which is made by Teva. If that makes sense. Clear as mud.

KB x

Yeah that's what I thought, but it didn't work that way. :) xx

Hi Thanks Kittybling and Tracy, I'll make sure I get Orlistat put on the next prescription :) Just hope I don't have any problems getting it. I've just got back from my first Weight Watchers meeting and felt a bit like billy no mates lol as everyone was in their little groups. I also feel completely confused about this whole pro point system as it's completely different from the calorie counting I had been doing. I plan to spend the next hour or two online though adding up totals for various meal options and trying to get my head around everything. I will say one thing though, a lot of what she said during the talk really resonated with me and I will definately stay for each talk as it's quite therapeutic.

I got the vouchers from an NHS initiative called Lighten up. The doctor didn't even mention it though, I had to ask for it after seeing some advertising. I get 12 weeks free and I got the free WW calculator today and I get phone calls from a lighten up person every now and then. At the end of the 12 weeks I get another pack with a voucher for some free digital scales and some other stuff too. It's for everyone with a BMI of 30 or above. I think in some areas you can get another 12 weeks free after the initial 12 weeks if you're having success with it but in Birmingham after the 12 weeks you either drop out or start paying.

Back