Yakkady Yack Atkins Chat ...

reluctant_whale

I guess this is my introduction post ... some of you may have seen me around before. On the 1st of January I panicked that my wedding was 7 months away and I was 15 stone 8 and a half lbs of blubber.

To cut a long story I started on Cambridge Diets - lasted one week, not a week I hope to repeat in a hurry - but I did make some lovely friends on minimins (Clare_cat .. Snowy .. Flower .. hello!).

Anyway, went on to Weight Watchers as a nutrionist friend was on my back about me being so miserable on Cambridge and she did me a plan for Weight Watchers. It has worked - so far (cambridge + ww) have equaled 16lb - not bad. But Weight watchers is so slow, half a pound here, staying the same, and I could feel myself starting to slip back into my old habits again of "oh one bag of crisps won't hurt, ill point them" which is what I was trying to "unlearn".

I had spoken to Claire_cat about Atkins a while back and she said how successful it had been so back in January I purchased the book ,carb counter and cook book and have been dipping in and out every night before bed during Weight Watchers. I knew it was time to start something where I didn't have as much freedom again - WW is great ... and Cambridge is NO freedom so I needed something in the middle. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE meat and vegetables (not to mention cream and butter .. nom).

I am now in day 4 of induction. I didn't feel too good yesterday, I am still a bit foggy today, and very thirsty but I think I have that undercontrol now. I am taking a selenium mineral suppliment plus an iron free multivit (HOW hard is it to get an iron free vitamin .. my god!!).

I really hope I get a good result. I am trying to keep away from the scales. I had a contreceptive implant put in the day I started Atkins so know I am going to be battling hormonal changes as well this week - part of the reason I started Atkins on the day is I didn't want a sudden 5lb gain from the implant, which is what I am sure would have happened if I carried on WW.

Anyway - excuse my ramblings, over use of "" and () and enjoy my diary - RW x

Pleased to meet you rw! Good luck on your Atkins journey, I have found the support on this thread wonderful and inspiring x

Hiya Whale and welcome, it is great here - everyone is very supportive and helpful with any questions you might have :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Good luck and enjoy the food:)

Morning, Hi and welcome. I'll be following your diary now, good luck

Thanks for all your kind comments .. and thanks to Jim! Your sticky on this forum was the final "crunch" to start.

So, day 5 .. yipee. Just had my lunch of coleslaw (from the Atkins recipe book) and sliced roast beef from yesterdays left overs. Got a cheese string for this afternoon, difficulty with work is (I am a teacher in an FE college ..) that breaktimes make it difficult to slot in the 6 hour time frame. Breakfast and lunch are fine but it's the gap between lunch and dinner that can be the problem. I finish here at 5 and by the time I get home, do "chores" and cook it can easily be 7 hours before I get anything else down my neck (back in the old days this is when I used to have a severe sugar dip and cram a cake and loads of coffee in), but for today, cheese string it is !

If you catch this diary because you are thinking about trying induction you might wonder how I feel. In a nutshell GREAT today. I won't lie, day 1-4 was hard. I even cried on Saturday night (I had a really short temper about everything, headaches and like a fog) but this morning ive woken up and my head feels much clearer. My legs still ache ,.. but I am solving that with minerals and brocolli for tea tonight.

Annoying side effects? Only really that I am not really hungry ... could have done without my breakfast OR lunch and I can't go to the loo ... think I might swing by the pharmacy on the way home and get some husks. As an IBS sufferer for many years I thought I had it under control and any "change" freaks me out.

For dinner im having Atkins "fromage burgers" out of the recipe book - if you don't have it - get it .. it's fantastic and most of the recipes can be used during induction, it is clearly labelled if you can't. Green salad leaves and half a cup of brocolli to try and clear these leg cramps.

Measured myself today and im B: 42 - W: 38 - H:48 (apparently a spoon shape, who would of thought it??). I started my journey back in January with a 42.5 inch waist .. I keep the Cambridge card in my bag to look at if I am feeling down because I was disgusted by that.

Anyway, more disjointed rants to come I am sure - but for now ive got another class to teach!

RW x

Just popping on tomorrows food. Going to use this as a bit of a food diary. Feel free to completely ignore .. as I am sure will be the case !

Breakfast : Oopsie with 2 rashers of bacon.

Lunch : Slice of roast beef, salad greens, spinach with mayo dressing and a sprinking of mature cheddar.

Dinner : 2 lamb chops, fresh mint sauce (mint & vinegar), brocolli , string beans with garlic butter. Low carb gravy (meat juices & stock cube .. wish I could find thick gravy!!)

100ml alpro lighter soy milk
Water

Snack if needed : pepparami

hey your meals look lovely welcome xx

Well I just had my first oopsie with bacon .. sat at my desk at work .. absolutely ruddy lovely! Those of you that read my post on the main board last night will know I made a boo boo using mascapone cheese but tonight I am going to go and buy some philly and make some up with them. I didn't think they were too eggy which was a surprize as I really am not a fan of egg at all. My fiance who is not joining me on the atkins way of life was really impressed with the oopsies .. infact he ate 3 last night when they were warm (pig!!). It was nice to sit in the staff room eating my "bacon sandwich" everyone just commented how lovely it looked ... I need to find some low carb ketchup because that would make it even better. Yum Yum!

Anyway, another day of teaching looms ahead of me. I have my lovely pre-entry adults all day today who cheer me up no end, but also test my patience to new levels ... this is the kind of day when usually I would be reaching for a cake come 3pm .. today it's a glass of water!

Here's to day 6 of Atkins Induction!

RW x

p.s another note about my oopsies .. I did not use any sweetener as a)I am trying to be as "clean" as possible and b) I don't like sweet and savoury together - they tasted great without :)

Hello!

just read through your diary! we are on about the same Day by looks of it! im day 7 :) havent weighed yet, am weighing this saturday and im not very hopeful. I came from a VLCD and apparently people either stay the same when switch to Atkins or they put on. but tbh right now i dont care because im sooooo HAPPY!! much happier than on VLCD because on there well i wasnt happy at all!! i was a miserable cow lol

i shall be keeping up to date with you diary! i think i need to get the Atkins book to get some recipe ideas etc.

anyways hope your all ok lovely

Ems xxx

Hi Ems,

DO buy the book. I have read it about 3 times now since Christmas. I started reading a chapter a night and it's like you are getting a positive pep talk right from the start. The "tests" in it are really interesting as I ticked every box for someone who was addicted to carbs / sugar.

VLCD was the WORST .. I will never, ever, EVER do it again, even if the world supplied only CD shakes I would rather starve. I really mean that. I was VILE on the diet and only lost 5lb.

Don't worry about your first WI - when I came off CD I started WW same day and the leader was very negative about me losing any weight and I lost 2lb first week ... I think it might have been to do with the fact I was so gloomy and depressed on CD I hardly moved! You never know you might be just fine!

3 Things I have learnt today :

1) I think the fabled "energy" might have come ... I am flabbergasted. I came in from work (rough day, tough group all day to teach) and where I usually drive home like a zombie, flop on the sofa and stay there catching up on cooking programmes **Food addict alert** tonight I drove home in this weird kind of state of "high alert" I can only describe it as almost dream like, drove a bit mad to be honest, taking risks I wouldn't usually (I am a really nervous driver) and ran into the co-op for a cauliflower, zoomed home, straight into the kitchen, made cauliflower mash, prepped dinner. CLEANED the kitchen and did 2 loads of washing up. We don't have kids so the cleaning in this house is usually done on a desperation basis!!! OH came in from work and ive talked his brains off .. he looked slightly stunned as I am usually a miserable old cow after work, so ive decided to come and ramble on here! So .. if this is what this energy fells like please let me know .. slightly freaked! haha.

2) I am addicted to cauliflower mash. I love it. It is beautiful. I dream of it .. I want it! Tonight it is served with pan fried lamb chops, home made mint sauce (dried mint & white wine vinegar) and some roasted green beans.

3) I think I am spending way too much time on minimins. Every break today ive been here, reading diaries. If I'm not doing that I am watching "before and afters" on Youtube... I think it is just because I am super inspired .. or super irratating, not sure which .. but the way things are going you lot will all be coming to my wedding!

Bye for now ... ! RW x :D

LOL you made me smile - this is your diary, rant and rave about anything and everything - we all do it, and sometimes, not content with our own, we'll kidnap your diary too :)

And ditto to the cauli mash, it is delish ain't it?

I don't really get sustained bursts of energy, but when it does happen it's quite mad isn't it, go with it and revel in all the chores being done in no time :D

Kidnap away! It's fun that way - makes me feel less like im gibbering on to myself :)

Hello lovely

Omg never ever VLCD ever again! Like you I'd rather starve! Stupid things!!

That was defo some energy!! I got this!! It's amazing especially after being on VLCD!! Glad your feeling good :) ooooo I see what ur WW leader said and well done on the 2lb! Tbh all I'm hoping for is a STS so anything more would be amazing!! :) going to go bk to the gym on Thursday never had this energy on VLCD!! Ever! I would have fainted lol

Hope ur having a nice evening Hun xxxx

Well done on using that energy burst to clean - i usually go dancing instead:). And spending loads of time on minimins is a highly recommended activity - think i lived on here in the early days - good way to stop boring the pants off DH, parents, friends....although they still have to put up with it:D

Maybe I will try dancing next time! I hate cleaning with a passion - goes to show just how much energy I do have because usually any old excuse not to do it .. Well in other news OH just told me I am the happiest he has seen me in months tonight! Wow. That is pretty cool ... better than when I was CD when he BEGGED me to give up for the sake of our relationship .. that is just how bad I was ...

Right, off to scare myself to death with supersized vs. superskinny .. more motivation .. making me laugh that this place in the USA with the worst obesity level is called Evansville .. I am an Evans ... should go live there, i'd fit right in ;)

Morning RW, how's things today :)

Back