Yellow Watermelon's Exante Journey

Ohhhh, I love the cookies 'n' cream bar. They taste like a cake, basically. Although they are also pretty heavy so you have to drink with a lot of water and I usually have to save half of mine for later. I would give them a 5!

Ohhhh, I love the cookies 'n' cream bar. They taste like a cake, basically. Although they are also pretty heavy so you have to drink with a lot of water and I usually have to save half of mine for later. I would give them a 5!
I have to order some...I don't want to wait.... but I don't need any more...
Noooooooooo!!!

Lost weight today for the first time in a fortnight. A whopping great....100g. Sigh.

Ah well, at least it's going downwards.

So... I’m on holidays this week, so I won’t be updating quite so often, but I left yesterday having diligently packed all my exante packs. I got to the airport and realised I had none on me, so I headed to boots to see if they had anything similar.
Bless the ubiquitous chain, they did, but... oh...my...goodness. They were disgusting. I bought a cookies and cream one (yes dreaming of the exante one I’ve not ordered yet), and it tasted and felt like dirt. Crunchy, not sweet, not salty, dirty. Bleurgh.

Exante rocks, it really does. I had my sweet and sour noodles for lunch while everyone else chowed down on bread, cheese and various Spanish cured meats, and it was yum. Probably helps I’m not a huge Parma ham fan.

That sounds a little poetic.

Clearly I didn’t forgo the Spanish wine, but you have to make some allowances for a holiday.

Well done for sticking to packs while on holiday. Careful with the booze as you’re not meant to tipple when doing this and the affects can be disastrous.

Note to self: stay away from Boots meal replacement products :eek:

Hope you're having a wonderful holiday, Watermelon!

How’s everyone doing? Last time I weighed myself on Sunday and I was 11 pounds down from the start. Really feeling the difference now.

I’ve been loving the chicken and leek soups but I’m scared to try the others. I also got some coconut bars that I’ll try tomorrow.
Just wondering how everyone’s doing!

Hiiii Lena - well done on a super successful first couple of weeks. 11lb down is amazing - you must be feeling so much better already?

I was a bit meh on the coconut bars, but I found them broadly inoffensive!

11lb is awesome! Yay Lena!

I'm unlikely to have a loss this week, what with the odd mouthful of tapas etc, but I'm interested to see if I can maintain on holiday with having exante meals when I can and food when it's really not possible to avoid it. I have had some wine, but I'm spitting at tastings and limiting drink in the evenings to a glass. I do have about 6kg to go, but I'm more worried about maintenance long term and wine is a very important part of my life! This will be a useful experiment.

I'll get back to it properly on Sunday and will report Monday on what this week has done...

Oh I am really missing a glass of wine now and again. And milk in my tea would be great but I haven’t actually consumed anything other than the 3 meals a day.

As for the fear we all have of gaining back, my doctor just recommended weighing every two or so weeks after you’re happy with your weight. At the end of the day, it’s easier to lose a couple of pounds than 3 stone!

It’s coming up to my food week, could you give me a rough explanation of what I should do if I want to stay in ketosis and not gain any weight. Is it ok to add chicken and salad for my extra meal with some spices? What kinds of foods did you have?

I honestly wouldn’t worry about a bit of skimmed milk in your tea once or twice a day if it will help your morale and keep you to plan otherwise. It won’t make a jot of difference to your weight, but might make a lot of difference to you otherwise.

I think what has really freaked me out is reading that 95% of people regain the weight they lose. 95%! That's insanely high. From what I've read, the people who keep it off are those who have made it a part of their lives - either becoming health junkies, fitness freaks, or potentially weight loss group leaders. I'm not really willing to do any of the above, although I have massively changed my eating habits over the past 2 years, which has kept me on a downwards trajectory since then. So, it is a major stress for me and something I'm going to try to remain conscious about. I'm home now, so I'm back on exante and I'm going to cut out the meals for a week while I rebalance.

Now, time for a MOAN! I have just got back, my bar stock is low and... the blimmin' cookies and cream bars are OUT OF STOCK! AGAIN!! Rah.

Oh god I hope I don’t gain it back 😢
Today is my first day eating something, I’m gonna have chicken and veggies and I’m terrified lol.

I really want to keep my weight once I lose it...

Watermelon, I've thought a lot of about why people regain the weight after doing a VLCD and I think it's due to a bunch of factors - not many of which are connected to the VLCD itself. One thing that *is* directly linked to the affect of a VLCD on the body is that you tank your metabolism and you have to spend time, probably at least as much time as you were on the VLCD, teaching yourself to eat 'normally' again. I think the best way I've read for describing is that is the metabolism is like a muscle, so basically you stop using it for half a year or longer. You can't just expect it to suddenly work exactly the way it did before the moment you start trying to use it again.

The rest of the factors, to my mind, are about education and psychology and stuff. A VLCD is an excellent short-term fix for people who are basically too obese and depressed to manage anything else: it's easy (in the sense of you have plan, if you stick to it, you'll lose weight), there's measurable and visible loss quite quickly, and you don't have to do anything with your body while you're on it (since exercising when you're obese is bloody awful, take my word for it). The problem is all the attention is on the weight loss part: someone lost 293734893 stone, hurrah! But actually you have to pay as much attention to what comes *after* the weight loss.

And that doesn't mean being a fitness freak or remaining forever partially on a VLCD but you have to essentially change your life so that you are *sure* the amount of calories you are taking is is not more than the amount of energy you are using. And that's a profound and important period of adjustment and it should be given as much weight (no pun intended) as the actual 'miraculous' weight loss.

The reason I did a VLCD and then put all the weight back on was because I simply didn't realise that. I assumed once I'd lost the weight the problem was solved and drifted back to all my old bad habits. No. The VLCD is the ... mechanism that allows you to make long-term changes to your life and your relationship with food but it isn't the answer to the problem. Does that make sense?

I think what has really freaked me out is reading that 95% of people regain the weight they lose. 95%! That's insanely high. From what I've read, the people who keep it off are those who have made it a part of their lives - either becoming health junkies, fitness freaks, or potentially weight loss group leaders. I'm not really willing to do any of the above, although I have massively changed my eating habits over the past 2 years, which has kept me on a downwards trajectory since then. So, it is a major stress for me and something I'm going to try to remain conscious about. I'm home now, so I'm back on exante and I'm going to cut out the meals for a week while I rebalance.

Now, time for a MOAN! I have just got back, my bar stock is low and... the blimmin' cookies and cream bars are OUT OF STOCK! AGAIN!! Rah.

I'm not sure it will be helpful in the long run to think of some of those people who make being healthy and fit "part of their lives" as 'junkies and 'freaks'. Maybe they've finally acknowledged that they now just get fat if they don't exercise? There comes a time in life when you simply have to admitthat a few runs/rides/rows a week is necessary. If anything, it's probably healthier to regard the 'sitting down most of the week' behaviour as the unntural state that needs compensating for.?

I could never speak for anyone else but I managed to maintain my weightloss by accepting that the gym had to be part of my life if I wanted to eat. I binned off cardio as I hate it and built muscle instead. I didn’t feel deprived. I ate what I wanted and I looked athletic - never would have thought it. I ended up back here because of an injury - I know now that if that happens again, I will use VLCD to 4:3 the injury out and be sure not to overeat. Eating can resume when the gym resumes. If you don’t choose the fitness incorporation the you will have to settle for your output calories which, if you’re short like me, can be as low as 1500 maintenance. That idea sucked to me which is why I chose to increase my lean mass. Good luck deciding what you do for the long term. It’s all a learning curve :)

I'm not sure it will be helpful in the long run to think of some of those people who make being healthy and fit "part of their lives" as 'junkies and 'freaks'. Maybe they've finally acknowledged that they now just get fat if they don't exercise? There comes a time in life when you simply have to admitthat a few runs/rides/rows a week is necessary. If anything, it's probably healthier to regard the 'sitting down most of the week' behaviour as the unntural state that needs compensating for.?

My point was that the literature about this says that the people who maintain weight loss are those who make it a core part of their identity - the language was not necessarily pejorative. Unfortunately, the stuff I've read says that it's not just a matter of adding the usual 30 minutes, three times a week to one's life - but it's more like the doing triathlons, being a daily gym client, or - beyond exercise - making food an ongoing focus, such as being a weight loss leader. From what I've read, there simply IS an element of the obsessive about those who succeed. You may not find it 'helpful', Full Fathom, but I think acknowledging that these changes need to be fairly intense is key - and making sure I'm in that 5% is absolutely going to be a focus for me, and I need to find how I can do that in a way that works for me. [and if you don't find stuff I write about in my own online journal helpful, well...then...(cough)...]

One of the reasons we don't like acknowledging this is because 95% of us will be back here in a few years' time, if we don't make these changes permanent and a core part of who we are. The fact that there is a forum here called 'I mean it this time' is exactly it - our bodies will strive to regain the weight. We will be hungrier than we were before. I'm trying to find the research I read and I can't locate it just now- but it is simply not as easy or simple for someone who has been overweight or obese to stay slim than it is for someone who has never gained the weight.

I think it's particularly interesting that GymBunnie commented about keeping the weight off through exercising - speaking of it becoming a core part of one's identity, naming oneself 'GymBunnie' would suggest that this may have taken place!

I wish it was as simple as eating less, moving more, etc, but everything suggests that it needs to go further than that.

Watermelon, I've thought a lot of about why people regain the weight after doing a VLCD and I think it's due to a bunch of factors - not many of which are connected to the VLCD itself. One thing that *is* directly linked to the affect of a VLCD on the body is that you tank your metabolism and you have to spend time, probably at least as much time as you were on the VLCD, teaching yourself to eat 'normally' again. I think the best way I've read for describing is that is the metabolism is like a muscle, so basically you stop using it for half a year or longer. You can't just expect it to suddenly work exactly the way it did before the moment you start trying to use it again.

The rest of the factors, to my mind, are about education and psychology and stuff. A VLCD is an excellent short-term fix for people who are basically too obese and depressed to manage anything else: it's easy (in the sense of you have plan, if you stick to it, you'll lose weight), there's measurable and visible loss quite quickly, and you don't have to do anything with your body while you're on it (since exercising when you're obese is bloody awful, take my word for it). The problem is all the attention is on the weight loss part: someone lost 293734893 stone, hurrah! But actually you have to pay as much attention to what comes *after* the weight loss.

And that doesn't mean being a fitness freak or remaining forever partially on a VLCD but you have to essentially change your life so that you are *sure* the amount of calories you are taking is is not more than the amount of energy you are using. And that's a profound and important period of adjustment and it should be given as much weight (no pun intended) as the actual 'miraculous' weight loss.

The reason I did a VLCD and then put all the weight back on was because I simply didn't realise that. I assumed once I'd lost the weight the problem was solved and drifted back to all my old bad habits. No. The VLCD is the ... mechanism that allows you to make long-term changes to your life and your relationship with food but it isn't the answer to the problem. Does that make sense?[/

Yes - I see what you're saying, and I think I'm going about the same thing but in a slightly different way. Rather than do it all at once, then have the period of adjustment that you mention, I'm trying to make sure that I keep the adjustments going as I go through. So, I stuck on it for 5 or 6 weeks or so, did the food week at week 4, and then shifted to the 1200 plan at about week 7. Then, last week, I balanced meals with treats on holidays, and I've only gained 300g, which isn't necessarily real weight until a couple more days have passed. That feels like a huge achievement - a week away, with wine when I wanted it and tastes of the food on offer, without coming back having gained loads. I can live with that!

This week, I'm trying to do the week again all on meals, and I'll look at reintroducing dinners next week - or something! I'm keen to make this work in my lifestyle so I am on a path, rather than rush it all and have no transition plan.

I did a VLCD because Slimming World wasn't working for me anymore - partly because my syns were creeping up, but also because my body had gotten used to things. I wanted to crack down that last 10kg or so and the VLCD seemed an option I'd never tried before.

Back