You do your research and get it wrong - grrrrrrrr

It's so frustrating when you do all your research and buy all your food then realise that they actually cost you points rather than being free. grrrrrrrrr

Bought the tesco light choices packet soups and they're 3 syns each :mad: also the yummy low fat £1 for six yoghurts and they 3 each :mad:

I'm losing the willpower

Thanks for the advice. Don't like the Mullerlights and I'm on an economy drive so thought I'd got a bargain - not.

Any advice on which packet soups are free - other than mug shots

There are no syn free packet soups as far as I am aware. if you are economising then it would be better and cheaper to make a big pot of soup yourself and then take it in a flask.

By the way , not all fat free yoghurts are syn free as some have added sugar. The supermarket own brand versions of mullerlight are syn free and there are always special offers to be had on on yoghurts that can help make them more affordable.

Just out of interest, where did you do your research, as i'm wondering where you saw that packet soups or low fat yogs would be free?

By packet soups do you mean things similar to Mug Shots? If so I can recommend the Pot Noodle in a mug Spicy Curry flavour which is syn free on Green and EE.

I make a batch of soup every week - thinner soups you can serve in a mug and they can then be totally free.

And Bachelors have some new pots where some of the flavours are free (tomato is one of them off the top of my head)

I have those £1 for 6 Tesco yogs, i love the rhubarb, gooseberry pack. I know they are 3 each, but we eat them as free ( i do only have no more than 1 a day - so 1 x 6 pack lasts a week) and they havent affected our losses. Were terribly skint, so i make a SW/finances judgement call. They are more healthy than the crap we could be eating, but work out cheaper than mullers.
I know its tweaking and frowned upon, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
see how you go, if they do affect your losses, syn them. they dont appear to make a difference to mine and hubbys eating them as free.

far better off making your own soup, as any ready made/packet soups are going to be quite synful as they don't qualify for any free food allowance.

I would tweak with yogurts too unless the more expensive ones were on offer but I never have my full amount of syns per day so it wouldn't make much difference really.

The soups, although 3 syns per pack are still quite low and would be good to take somewhere with you in case of emergency, i.e. to stop you reaching for a prepacked sandwich or the crisps but there are a few syn free choices to be had with pasta/noodle things...although not too sure why they're free when they're more calorific than slim a soups...but never mind, lol.

Last edited:
there are a few syn free choices to be had with pasta/noodle things...although not too sure why they're free when they're more calorific than slim a soups...but never mind, lol.

Because SW don't do calories - they do satiation. The main ingredient in the snacks you mention are pasta or noodles which as we now are free foods because they fill you up for longer relative totheir calorie content. A cup a soup may be lower in calories but it will not fill you up at all, and very soon afterwards you will be reaching for something else to eat.

Grab yourself a copy of the SW free branded foods book at your class (only £1.95). It has lists of free stuff under each supermarket - you'll look a bit sad like me and my mum did last week in Aldi walking around with it but who cares?!!

Because SW don't do calories - they do satiation. The main ingredient in the snacks you mention are pasta or noodles which as we now are free foods because they fill you up for longer relative totheir calorie content. A cup a soup may be lower in calories but it will not fill you up at all, and very soon afterwards you will be reaching for something else to eat.

That does make sense for those that value feeling full and of course it would stop people wanting to eat again so soon, never thought of it that way.

I don't mind being hungry in between meals, I've found I appreciate my dinner more. I love what the doctor said on "Britains Fattest Man", "Lions don't snack on chipmunks in between antelope. It's ok to feel hungry". I'd forgotten that it is ok to feel hunger and not have to feed it straight away.

*honey said:
I have those £1 for 6 Tesco yogs, i love the rhubarb, gooseberry pack. I know they are 3 each, but we eat them as free ( i do only have no more than 1 a day - so 1 x 6 pack lasts a week) and they havent affected our losses. Were terribly skint, so i make a SW/finances judgement call. They are more healthy than the crap we could be eating, but work out cheaper than mullers.
I know its tweaking and frowned upon, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
see how you go, if they do affect your losses, syn them. they dont appear to make a difference to mine and hubbys eating them as free.

If it's a judgement call between SW and finances, why can it not be a judgement call between SW and SW? They are nice, you enjoy them, but they have syns. 3 a day is 21 syns a week, or a fifth of the MAXIMUM allowance overall.
That's quite a substantial amount of syns to be discounting. Why not include them in your syn allowance and then you don't need to make that judgement call at all?

ETA - the additional syn content if you were to have one a day all year equates to about 21k calories, or 6lb you could have lost but didn't. Something to think on maybe...

Last edited:
Back