You'll only put it all back on again...

fabulous_clara

Yes, we've all been told that by well meaning (and sometimes not so well meaning) friends.

When I told my best friend who is v supportive that I was going to start Cambridge, she asked me "But what if you put it all back on?" I know she wasn't having a go, but it got me thinking. My answer was that it was never going to come off in the first place in order for it to go back on if I didn't do this!

I was thinking about this in bed this morning (having been rudely awoken by binmen at 6:40am for the love of god!!!). Anyway, my musings went along these lines... I did lipotrim a year and a half ago and kept it off successfully with not much effort. However, it was when I got together with my current boyfriend that I stacked all the weight back on. Y'know... meals out, lots of wine, getting comfortable and complacent... Mindless eating without thought of consequences in other words.

Led me to think that the reason I've put weight on is simple - too much crap food and booze. Elementary really, but it creeps on so stealthily doesn't it!!! At nearly 16 stone carrying on eating like that, it would only be a matter of time before it was 17 stone, 18 stone, 19 stone... This is what people don't realise. It doesn't matter what weight you are, whether you're at target or not, if you over-eat you will gain. It's almost as if they're saying "Well you're not in control of your eating, so just stay fat and keep on getting fatter". What an insult!!!

This diet is about taking control of your eating and ergo your life. Should we just stagnate? Assume that our waistlines are going to continue expanding? Or should we do something positive, life-extending and happiness inducing? As my BMI was over 40 I had to get a medical form stamped at the doctor's. I was told by the receptionist that there would be a nominal charge for this. I was incensed but smiled politely and said "OK". Anyway, when I went to pick the form up the doctor had stamped it and put a note on saying "No charge". I took this as an endorsement that the diet is a good solution and that it will enormously benefit my health. It empowered me in a way, to know that I had the backup of a very well respected health professional.

It takes a lot of guts to effect change. People don't like change. And if anyone tries to harsh your karma with the old "You'll put it all back on and more" line then I think it's their issue, not yours. They're setting us up to fail, and either an edit out of your life, or an honest conversation explaining your reasons for wanting to lose weight is the order of the day. Jealousy, my friends, is an ugly truth... and one that I suspect we may have to field along the way. Well I'm doing this for me. It's something I've wanted for a long, long time - and I am taking it!

Eeeeh that was a bit of a ramble! Quite cathartic!
All the best people, we can do it! :grouphugg:

Yes, I can identify with some of what you are saying.

Some people seem to think that losing weight on a VLCD will automatically lead to you stacking back on double within six months. It seems very simple to me though - regardless of how you lost the weight, if you overeat, you will put it back on. So, losing a pound a week with WW or SW over the course of a year won't 'protect' you from weight gain, should you choose to return to your old eating habits.

I'm half a stone from target and thinking a lot about maintenance. It's the most difficult part of the journey but not an impossible dream. For me, it is having to accept that my weight is something I will always have to watch and that the days of mindless stuffing my face with what I feel like are gone.

I've had the exact same thing said to me this week "oh, you'll put it all back on and more. the quicker you lose it the quicker you'll put it back on". I just said yes of course I will - IF I go back to eating the way I was. It doesn't matter if you lose the weight slowly or fast - if you then return to eating 3 bars of chocolate whilst sitting on the sofa, you'll gain weight - and fast! If you slowly start eating more and more and then more and more you'll still gain weight but slowly! It's a no brainer - it's science.

However, if you only eat the calories you need then you won't gain weight. Simples.

Some people are really annoying. I think often it comes from a place of jealously, although sometimes they're just spouting stuff they've heard elsewhere without actually knowing what they're talking about.

Yes, we've all been told that by well meaning (and sometimes not so well meaning) friends.

When I told my best friend who is v supportive that I was going to start Cambridge, she asked me "But what if you put it all back on?" I know she wasn't having a go, but it got me thinking. My answer was that it was never going to come off in the first place in order for it to go back on if I didn't do this!

I was thinking about this in bed this morning (having been rudely awoken by binmen at 6:40am for the love of god!!!). Anyway, my musings went along these lines... I did lipotrim a year and a half ago and kept it off successfully with not much effort. However, it was when I got together with my current boyfriend that I stacked all the weight back on. Y'know... meals out, lots of wine, getting comfortable and complacent... Mindless eating without thought of consequences in other words.

Led me to think that the reason I've put weight on is simple - too much crap food and booze. Elementary really, but it creeps on so stealthily doesn't it!!! At nearly 16 stone carrying on eating like that, it would only be a matter of time before it was 17 stone, 18 stone, 19 stone... This is what people don't realise. It doesn't matter what weight you are, whether you're at target or not, if you over-eat you will gain. It's almost as if they're saying "Well you're not in control of your eating, so just stay fat and keep on getting fatter". What an insult!!!

This diet is about taking control of your eating and ergo your life. Should we just stagnate? Assume that our waistlines are going to continue expanding? Or should we do something positive, life-extending and happiness inducing? As my BMI was over 40 I had to get a medical form stamped at the doctor's. I was told by the receptionist that there would be a nominal charge for this. I was incensed but smiled politely and said "OK". Anyway, when I went to pick the form up the doctor had stamped it and put a note on saying "No charge". I took this as an endorsement that the diet is a good solution and that it will enormously benefit my health. It empowered me in a way, to know that I had the backup of a very well respected health professional.

It takes a lot of guts to effect change. People don't like change. And if anyone tries to harsh your karma with the old "You'll put it all back on and more" line then I think it's their issue, not yours. They're setting us up to fail, and either an edit out of your life, or an honest conversation explaining your reasons for wanting to lose weight is the order of the day. Jealousy, my friends, is an ugly truth... and one that I suspect we may have to field along the way. Well I'm doing this for me. It's something I've wanted for a long, long time - and I am taking it!

:clap: well said xx

I completely agree.

I agree and think they don't give us credit for having a brain in our heads. I intend to gradually build up the exercise as I increase through the steps so that by the time I reach my target weight, I should be abe to easily maintain it. Is anyone doing this too or are you just staying on SS?

I lost 1.5 stones a couple of years ago (got down to 13st from 15.5st) and then took up running (started off with the Couch 2 5k plan). In the 2 years that I was exercising by running 3 times a week I didn't put on a single pound and I ate just normally. Had what I wanted and drank when I wanted. Then I suffered an injury which has meant that I can't run and that coupled with a steroid injection I was recommended to have I put on a stone! In fact I put on 8 to 9 lbs within 10 days of the steroid injection!

So, yes, I would definitely recommend exercise to help keep weight off, that and watching what you eat and not going back to old ways and eating more than you need - the weight should keep off and stay off.

My mantra is "Eat less, move more!".

I love this thread, it's so true. Seeing it in black and white and knowing that you feel the same as me, only makes me want to succeed even more.

We're definitely doing this for ourselves in the first instance and only we can control it

You're awesome, you are :D xx

I agree and think they don't give us credit for having a brain in our heads. I intend to gradually build up the exercise as I increase through the steps so that by the time I reach my target weight, I should be abe to easily maintain it. Is anyone doing this too or are you just staying on SS?

That sounds like a good plan, although I'm currently too far away to even contemplate the maintenance stage! :8855:
I'm slathering on Palmer's firming butter every morning in an attempt to avoid loose skin and guess I should think about exercise at some stage... I think when I've shifted a few stone I will start, maybe netball or zumba!

It's not just VLCDs that you will regain weight on it's any diet IF!!! you do not completely reprogram your brain with regards to food. The problem is that most of us (me included) do not! If CD or any other diet 'worked' then they would not have a business! It's a business (like all diets) dependant on people returning over and over again! That said, the power is with us all to buck that trend and not be one of those habitual returners. We and only we can change our futures!! :)

Big H said:
It's not just VLCDs that you will regain weight on it's any diet IF!!! you do not completely reprogram your brain with regards to food. The problem is that most of us (me included) do not! If CD or any other diet 'worked' then they would not have a business! It's a business (like all diets) dependant on people returning over and over again! That said, the power is with us all to buck that trend and not be one of those habitual returners. We and only we can change our futures!! :)

Well said!

How much further do you have to go? I'm aiming for Christmas. I go to Zumba and highly recommend it! Absolutely brilliant. I even did a 2hr Zumba masterclass on Saturday, though I think I might have overdid it!
That sounds like a good plan, although I'm currently too far away to even contemplate the maintenance stage! :8855:
I'm slathering on Palmer's firming butter every morning in an attempt to avoid loose skin and guess I should think about exercise at some stage... I think when I've shifted a few stone I will start, maybe netball or zumba!

Very true Big H. And congrats on your loss, fantastic!

Back