Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Extra Easy £20 a week budget for 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by dudette2001uk, 4 June 2010 Social URL.

1. dudette2001uk

dudette2001uk I will be a Princess!

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi there,

After forgetting about my car bill (bloody oil leak, and useless bloke who didn't send the bill out for 6 weeks!) and being very naughty and buying a Wii, I've worked out I have about £20 a week budget for the next 3 weeks until pay day (£25 at the most!)

What sort of meals could I cook on EE, or what food should I buy for £20? There's only me to cook for, but I did have spag bol this week, so I'm a bit sick of it! I also don't have a lot of freezer space (houseshare woes!) so meals that would be ok in the fridge and reheated would be good :)

Sian xxx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Quiches, chips, beans, pasta with sauces with onions, mushrooms.

Buy chicken thighs cheaper & tasty just remove the skin.

Buy frozen veg.

Sorry not sure if much help here.

4. dudette2001uk

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks hun! It's my own silly fault for spending too much :) All ideas are much appreciated, so thank you! xx

5. Babysham80

Babysham80 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st0lb(23.05%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Soups! Chuck all your left over and spoiling veg and make a yummy soup for a couple of meals. Get in to the supermarkets between 7-9pm and veg/meat is 75% or more off original selling price. I would try to stay clear of salad if the pennies are rather tight cause I think that can be expensive...

6. Babysham80

Babysham80 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st0lb(23.05%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    ...or get loads of tinned veg in, value brands are harmless, i love vaule mushy peas, great super speed snack on green days

7. dudette2001uk

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Babysham80 - thanks for the tip about the meat! I hadn't realised it was that much cheaper at that time of night. Will definitely try that! Also, staying away from salad sounds like a good idea, as it does seem quite expensive :) xx

8. evilpenguin

evilpenguin Not evil at all

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(9.79%)
    Diet:
    Back to Slimming World
    Hi Sian

I started buying my veg out of a greengrocers, its so much better and cheaper, supermarkets overcharge and their fruit is always brick hard until it goes off so there's an area to make a possible saving - that or buy frozen veggies for things like casseroles/stews. I would do lots of pasta dishes ie carbonara, cannelloni, macaroni and bolonese. Morrisons usually have offers on their mince which you can use in a number of dishes like burgers, curries, chilli. Do you have a slow cooker? A cheap packet of beef with some stew veggies and stock makes a great meal and you can always freeze it. These are just some of the things I cook and my budget is usually around £20 per person per week.

Hope this helps x

9. dudette2001uk

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks evilpenguin!! If you don't mind me asking, what do you use for macaroni cheese? Do you use fromage frais/yoghurt? If so, what are they like for reheating the following day? I made macaroni cheese for mum and dad this week but couldn't have any as it was a proper homemade cheese sauce :( xx

10. evilpenguin

evilpenguin Not evil at all

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(9.79%)
    Diet:
    Back to Slimming World
  11. dudette2001uk

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Evilpenguin - thanks for the recipe hun. Sounds lovely! :D xx

12. Karen

Karen Serial Foodie!

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(6.96%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    buy lots of tinned tomatoes and tinned veg as they are cheap and can be used as a base for anything... just add different spices depending on whether you are having jacket spud, pasta or rice. Asda are doing 6 tins of the napolina toms for £3 at the mo.

isnt there a students area on the website as well? if so, it'll be good for cheap ideas. xxx

13. janegreen

janegreen Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    have you tried Farmfoods for frozen meat and veg, for example a bag of upto 6 chicken breasts for £4.75 and they are huge, loads of frozen veg £1 a bag.

14. ninnins

ninnins SW ROCKS!

Start Weight:
    18st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    5st9.5lb(30.69%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    you are me last month!

I had a good root through the cupboards and freezer to see what food i had already then planned meals around this making a list of only the foods that I needed. I stuck to the list and bought a few of the items at a reduced rate (close date) and did my shopping for a whopping £8.91! This ended up lasting over a week! It can be done, you just need to be careful

15. louisehj

louisehj Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5.5lb(19.94%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    As others have said the value brands will be better value - i have just come back from Asda and got the following low syn/free things

Smart price gammon rounds £1 for a pack of 2
    Smart price tinned chilli con carne about 41p
    Smart price tinned spaghetti bolognaise again about 41p
    Smart price chopped tomatoes
    Smart price eggs 15 for £1.20 ish
    Smart price frozen cauliflower about 71p (there are other veg too)

just a couple of ideas. Do you have a food directory if so you could look through that for the value brands that are low syn.

16. gemma_

gemma_ Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(16.5%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    in student part on slimming world site they have recipes for under £4.... then you can freeze some things like bolognase :)

17. dudette2001uk

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well...I didn't quite manage to keep to £20 this week. It came out as £29 :( But I bought some things that will last me for at least a couple of weeks as they have long dates on them etc. Also bought 3 quorn items as they were on offer which I can freeze and have over the next 3 weeks. So I'm getting there! I cut down on some of my luxuries this week, so it wasn't too much over my £25 absolute maximum :)

Thank you all for your advice though! I'm still amazed by how helpful and supportive everybody is on Minimins :)

Sian xxx

18. tarka

tarka Full Member

Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    If you have a market nearby try that for fruit & veg also go to a butchers for meat and tell them what you can afford and ask what they can offer for that. We have a butchers in town who does "meat for the week" which seems to be based on a family of 4 and costs £10 for loads of stuff (mince, gammon, whole chicken, steak and something else that I can't remember, might be sausages but you get the idea)!!

19. LadyHelen

LadyHelen No Coffee, No Workee

Start Weight:
    19st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6.5lb(2.39%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    This is a great tip - also a can of value baked beans chucked in with spag bol or chilli will stretch it out across at least another portion, maybe 2 if you're careful.

20. CheeksForKeeps

CheeksForKeeps Member

Start Weight:
    9st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Diet:
    extra Easy all the way!
    WOW this post Is great! I feel the pain of a broke student haha Also Eggs are a godsend.. so filling you wouldnt believe! I always say you need a good start to the day, Id ususally have my brekki around 8.. have a slice of brown bread HEB with a mushed up banana (yumm) and while your munching on that have an egg boiling.. You'll be stuffed till 12 or 1 at least!

You can also make yummy omelettes or even egg fried rice if your looking for a take away distraction! Very easy to make all you need is an egg, some peas, ground pepper and/or lemon for a bit of bite and rice! Best of all its all free.. infact Im getting hungry now :p xx

21. Lexie_dog

Lexie_dog UNLEASHING THE BEAST!

Start Weight:
    15st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3.5lb(1.57%)
    Diet:
    SW, minimal bread!
    Last edited: 21 August 2010
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.