Extra Easy £20 a week budget for 3 weeks

Pasta based stuff - pasta & tuna, ham or veggies. Or an egg curry. Just use the mushy pea/tinned tomatoes base with some curry powder, add hard boiled egg & serve with rice. Dirt cheap, filling & yummy.

Meat balls and spaghetti
Burgers and wedges
cottage pie
Chilli and rice
chicken stir fry and rice
chicken stew
Gammon, SW chips and eggs
Egg curry and rice
Fritata
Spaghetti carbonara
soup spiced carrot
Jacket potato, cheese and beans

Shopping list
Lean mince 2 for £5.00
Chicken breasts £2.00
Gammon £2.00
spaghetti £0.39
potatos £0.99
rice £0.73
tinned toms x2 £0.66
eggs x 12 £1.26
Onions x 4 £0.80
stir fry veggies £2.00
Carrots £0.75
red pepper £0.68
Ginger £0.20
celery £0.40
cheese £1.95
beans £0.44
kidney beans £0.19
frozen veg £0.44
Quark £0.70
TOTAL £21.58 for 2 weeks ( so £20 left for lunch and breakfast things milk etc)

*Honey, thanks so much for that, I was interested in this thread as I'm always trying to cut back on grocery shopping.
I never plan meals like that and then make a list - I always say I will but never do it.
I will print this out, it will really help me!
Thanks!;)

your welcome muffindol :)

I always plan my meals weekly, sunday is meal plan day for shopping on a monday, i then have a chart on the cupboard door with whats for breakfast, lunch and dinners and puddings :) for each day, what HE groups are needed and what syns are used for meals, so i know what i have left for the day :) also means hubby knows what he can have too.

fantastic thread! do you have an iceland? you can buy a big bag of diced chicken for £4.50, it's massive and I get 3-4 meals for a family of 4 from it, it's a big chunk from your £20 budget but if you looked at is as 6 chicken dinners over 2 weeks, it's a bargain

don't forget egg and sw chips

def save a lot of money by buying frozen veg

some great tips on here, thanks everyone x

I have just found this when i was searching for budget ideas and its brill so i thought i would comment on it to bump it right back into action xx

Excellent thread guys xxx

They're syned and probably not v good for you but when we're really skint I buy birds eye frozen chicken articles, or homebrands. They normally work out about 50p a portion because they're frequently on offer which is deffinately alot cheaper than buying chicken breasts.

The supermarkets that do 3 meats for a tenner normally have a big pack of mince. I'm not sure about the other supermarkets but morrisons mince is lean as apposed to extra lean but I tend to cheat on that account to save money. Just the big pack of mince is £4. We normally divide this into four and feed 2.5 ppl (one of us is a 2 year old lol) per quarter. We do add frozen vege to bulk it out though. so you could get 8 meals of mince for £4....
Also I quite often have for dinner just past with tinned tomatoes and some smart price herbs mixed in.

One of my favourite cheapies on a green day is a baked bean shepherds pie. I add any herb or spice I fancy to the baked beans or not depending on how I feel. Put into an oven proof dish top with SW friendly mashed potatoes and bake in the oven until the top is crispy.

I also add a tin of baked beans to 250 grams of mince meat and use half to make SW chile and half with onions and carrots to make savoury minced beef dish.

Tinned tomatoes blended and with cumin added makes a super, cheap soup, forgive the really bad pun.

Buy peppers, red, green, yellow when they are cheap and roast them and serve with baby potatoes, no need for meat and so tasty.

Pasta and tinned tomato and if you have oregano or basil in throw that in with the tomatoes. Cheese if you have it cooked in with the tomato if not it still tastes good.

Eggs are cheap, and nutricious and free and versatile.

A proper Spanish omelette is made with just potato and onion. I boil the potato and onion with salt and pepper. Put them in the omelette pan, pour in the egg and cook as normal. A tip for turning the omelette as it should be thick, tall if you know what I mean is to hold a plate over the top of the pan turn the omelette onto the plate and the slide it back into the pan. This is delicious and sooo filling.

I could bore you with loads more but I am sure you get the idea.

apparently fresh fruit and veg work out cheaper than processed stuff , also maybe own brand products[if you like/ can tolerate them

don't know what else i can suggest

i am always on a budget. this time of the year is very hard financially

good luck

have a merry christmas

sorry i forgot to say i must thank you all as i said i am on a budget and i am trying to cut down on my spending including food shopping

. never knew about the offers late at night. must get into the habit of buying stuff when offer [so will have the stuff when needed and save money in long one..i also need to bear in mind the dates on stuff so they don't end up in the bin as well]

sorry for not really having any ideas

i hope you all have a very merry christmas

My sister is an expert on the cheapest shopping possible and only every shops late at night. She also uses coupons to there fullest extent.

Any one wanting to contact her is welcome to. She isn't called the coupon queen for nothing. She has helped so many people and when we go back to live in Cornwall I know I will only be shopping under her guidance.

Just let me know and I will give you Gill's contact details and she will help you manage on nearly nothing.

definitely worth trying a green grocers rather than a super market..
I got a punnet of nectarines for 49p, as opposed to £2 at the supermarket..
ok so one of the nectarines was a little over ripe and had to be thrown away, but still I have 4 more left from that punnet plus another punnet for less than a quid..

SW chips all the way! We managed to get a bag of potatoes from the supermarket reduced to 14p (we went shopping at 8pm) !!!!!! Hubbys made leek and pot soup with some of them and the rest will be for sw chips :)

Soups are also a winner on a budget :)

Also on our 8pm shop we had 2 pints of organic milk for 15p, a mixed veg bag (2 onions, small sweede, 2 parsnip and4 carrots) for 36p and about 9 bananas for about 30p - we were very happy shoppers :)

A chicken at about £3 could last you for 4 - 5 nights meals - all done different ways - tinned tomatoes & pasta - frozen veg. SW quiche's - omelettes (I love) - loaf of wm bread at 47p from morrisons will last you more than a week - beans on toast - egg on toast.

snackpots (I think) were 39p in places like homebargains - pasta - n - sauces are only 75p'ish.

frozen fruit is pretty cheap in Aldi - potatoes - grated - fried in fry-light (IF you have some) or under grill with an egg wash - potato rosti's - lovely.

SW egg chips and beans. Tinned tomatoes on toast is simply devine.

I also love love love spicey sweet potato and carrot soup - just one large carrot, 2 small or one large sweet potatoes, one large onion - shake of chilli flakes, little salt & black pepper boil until soft and mash or liquidise and you have enough FILLING soup for at least 3 bowls.

Good luck on your budget - hope this helps a bit - let us know how you get on.

Only JUST realised this is an old thread - but happy Christmas anyway !

Happy Christmas Everyone.

Last edited:
Aldi have quite a few different frozen fruits, including mixed berries, fruit salad, blackberries etc. Last time I looked they were £1.60 for 500g - which is quite a bit cheaper than Tesco.

Denise

Perhaps different Aldi's do different products, or maybe they just didn't have any stock at that time. The fruit salad was things like apple, pear,pineapple. Have to say they don't always have it but they did a couple of weeks ago when I looked.

Denise

This is a fab thread, thanks xx

Back