1/3 speed in breakfasts

Kkroni

Hi,
I'm new to slimming world and so far I'm doing ok getting speed foods into my lunches and dinners (what I have for dinner I have for lunch the next day)
Struggling with breakfast- so far been having weetabix (2 biscuits) with 175ml whole milk and having an apple around the same time. Is this enough for 1/3?
I don't like berries, too bitter for me, so I'm finding it difficult to find alternatives. I tried natural yoghurt with pieces of apple, banana (know that's not speed) and a small amount of raspberries just to try it again, couldn't finish it.
Also I must mention I am not a morning person so I need super quick breakfasts. Weekends I have time so think I'm ok for getting speed in those days. Not overly keen on mushrooms or tomatoes as part of a breakfast either but will eat it mixed in with other things.

So to sum up I'm looking for quick 1/3 speed breakfasts ideas minus the berries.

Thanks ,
K

I find speed difficult for breakfast too. If I have a cooked brunch then it is ok.

We were told by our consultant that if you are having your HE for breakfast it is often that speed would not be appropriate.

I never have a third speed for breakfast. Where I feel possible, I will always have a third speed, but for me and my taste, if it doesn't go, I don't have it. I need to enjoy my food. Another example is if we have beans on toast or egg on on toast for our dinner in the evening, I wouldn't eat speed with that either.

Thank you very much for your replys!
That's made me feel better. I definitely won't try to force 1/3 if it just doesn't go or suit from now on. I suppose I'm not going eat that way for life, putting veg with beans on toast for the sake of it! Silly really when you put it like that!
Thanks!!

Just a quick idea - do you like eggs or quiche? I am exactly the same, I struggle to get speeds in to breakfast, but I also hate sweet breakfasts. A few I like are -

Boiled eggs and spinach (this saves my HEXB as well as I am a bread lover)
Breakfast cups - whisked egg with lots of spinach/pepper/mushrooms etc poured into a muffin tray lined with a slice of ham - these are easy to pre prepare and quick to grab

As an alternative, what about pre prepared melon or cucumber/carrots with a bit of homemade hummus?

I always try and have some speed with my breakfasts. An apple with your weetabix is perfectly fine. You could grate it the evening before and add it to your weetabix in the morning? Alternatively, you could try pear, orange, mandarines/clementines, nectarine, peach, sweet plums, apricots, strawberries (if not too bitter?). Or, as already mentioned, melon? You said you tried natural yogurt (not really my cup of tea), have you tried the flavoured Muller or Activia yogurts with chopped fruit?
Good Luck :)

I always try to have speed with my breakfast. Sometimes I just have a whole grapefruit and that sees me through to lunch (though I can't stomach eating too early in the morning so it's usually about 10.30am by the time I have breakfast). Sometimes (usually on weekends when I have time) I'll make porridge using my 2 healthy extras and top it with a whole chopped apple and a satsuma, sprinkled with mixed spice. Very warm and comforting for a cold winter morning :) In the warmer weather, it might be overnight oats with berries (though I see you don't really like those) or chopped melon with yogurt. I try to eat speed fruit every morning anyway as I don't really eat cereal and don't like using my syns or HEBs on bread/toast.

If I'm on a SP day, I'll have either grapefruit on its own or, if I'm at home, an egg cooked in frylight and loads of mushrooms. Spinach too if there's any in the house, which there usually isn't.

Most of the time I dont have a 3rd speed in brekkie....I MAY have an apple mid morning to help...its just a may though.

I also find it hard to stomach cereal so mines usually egg on dry toast.

I did try having nuts as a HEB when im in a rush but im starving shortly after.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I've got a very similar issue with SW breakfast and the 1/3 ss food. Before SW, I could barely manage a cuppa and a small bowl of unsweetened cornflakes, now I'm having a nightmare. The thought of fruit early in the morning makes me retch, so does the idea of a cooked breakfast :-( However, I always have a generous mixed fruit bowl mid-morning, I just cannot stomach it first thing. I am on a boatload of meds, maybe it has to do with having to take a lot of them first thing in the morning, too? It really is an issue and I feel a tad guilty for not being able to follow the plan to a 'T' at breakfast time. However, right now, I'm still losing, so I hope it doesn't have a lasting effect. P.S. tried the overnight oats and I just couldn't bring them down :'-(

I don’t eat my breakfast at “breakfast time”. I have a cup of coffee before I leave the house and then breakfast at my desk 10am (today was weetabix and raspberries, yesterday a cloud bread bacon, tomato and mushroom sandwich) and lunch about 1:30. I don’t consider that any different to having breakfast at 8:30 and lunch at 12:00. I read an article on the slimming world site that said something to the same effect. I feel physically sick if I try to eat any earlier. I think dealing with that is more important than following any diet plan to the letter.

I don’t eat my breakfast at “breakfast time”. I have a cup of coffee before I leave the house and then breakfast at my desk 10am (today was weetabix and raspberries, yesterday a cloud bread bacon, tomato and mushroom sandwich) and lunch about 1:30. I don’t consider that any different to having breakfast at 8:30 and lunch at 12:00. I read an article on the slimming world site that said something to the same effect. I feel physically sick if I try to eat any earlier. I think dealing with that is more important than following any diet plan to the letter.
hi do we have to eat 1/3 speed with every meal? so far i’ve just been having it with my dinner

Hi Browniecat. Yes, you should be trying to have 1/3 speed in every meal. My consultant's recommendation was to try and make at least 1/3 all your food speed everyday - so if you have beans on toast for breakfast, have extra speed with lunch or dinner - but I think it's easiest to try and get it into every meal. I try to do it for my snacks too - so if I have a yoghurt I will have fruit with it.

So far, and for me it has worked well, I have little fruit, like raspberries or the like, with some muesli and yogurt in the morning for breakfast (that's all I can handle) and a good size mixed fruit bowl as a mid morning snack. I really have no issue with food optimising and having at least a third of super free veg any other meal of the day, it's just the breakfast that is causing me a little headache. I love eating fruit and veg, I just cannot stomach it early in the morning. When all I want, in reality, is a bowl of cornflakes and a strong brew :D

Hi,
I'm new to slimming world and so far I'm doing ok getting speed foods into my lunches and dinners (what I have for dinner I have for lunch the next day)
Struggling with breakfast- so far been having weetabix (2 biscuits) with 175ml whole milk and having an apple around the same time. Is this enough for 1/3?
I don't like berries, too bitter for me, so I'm finding it difficult to find alternatives. I tried natural yoghurt with pieces of apple, banana (know that's not speed) and a small amount of raspberries just to try it again, couldn't finish it.
Also I must mention I am not a morning person so I need super quick breakfasts. Weekends I have time so think I'm ok for getting speed in those days. Not overly keen on mushrooms or tomatoes as part of a breakfast either but will eat it mixed in with other things.

So to sum up I'm looking for quick 1/3 speed breakfasts ideas minus the berries.

Thanks ,
K
You don’t actually have to have speed with breakfast if you are using your healthy extra(s), like weetabix with milk for example. I recommend 40g overnight oats, marinated in toffee flavoured mullerlight yogurt and top with chopped bananas (remember, no speed food is required as you’re using your healthy extra B)

I've found my perfect breakfast x I use 40g of a raisin free muesli (I've got the Dorset Simply Nutty and have handpicked all the date bits out lolol) and stir a Mueller Light in with it. Delicious. And some time later I'll have some fresh fruit. xx just not at the same time

You don’t actually have to have speed with breakfast if you are using your healthy extra(s), like weetabix with milk for example. I recommend 40g overnight oats, marinated in toffee flavoured mullerlight yogurt and top with chopped bananas (remember, no speed food is required as you’re using your healthy extra B)

As with lots of other things on SW - SW's pretty flexible about Speed foods - I think that's partly because if the rules are too strict lots of us wouldn't stick to the plan for long! But of course there are people who are really motivated to lose weight fast so SW has devised a generous & fleible programme for us to follow. This is what SW says about Speed Foods - good luck on your dieting everyone!

"Speed Free Foods are very low in energy density (calories) so they have extra slimming power! For the best results, enjoy at least one third of a plate of Speed Free Foods at each mealtime (wherever you can) and reach for them first between meals. The more Speed foods you choose, the more weight you’ll lose!"

Back