1/3 superfree rule interpretation - anyone know definitively?

I have sent the below back - lets see what happens.

Hello Sheila

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately it really does not answer my question, and highlights again the huge discrepancies between what your website says, and what consultants say in group. I believe that most SW members do not mind what the advice is, just that it is consistent.

Specially, I would like clarification on whether the superfree vegetables that I add to a recipe (eg cook within my Bolognese sauce) count towards my 1/3rd superfree in a meal.

Thank you in advance
Sarah

This is the one I sent:

"I have a question about 1/3 superfree on EE. Can I confirm it is 1/3 of the *whole meal* that must be superfree? For example, if I was making a stew, provided 1/3 of the content of the stew itself is superfree that complies with EE superfree rules, and I wouldn't have to add any more vegetables to my plate on the side? (Although I appreciate this would be an added bonus as the more superfree the better).

The 1/3 superfree rule includes ALL the food included in any particular meal and doesn't mean I have to have 1/3 superfree on my plate *in addition to* any that may already be included in things such as soups, stews, casseroles etc?

Thanks for your time"

Let's hope one of us gets a sane reply :)

The way I'm reading the reply to the email is you don't have to have 1/3 superfree with each meal as long as you've had 1/3 through out the day, but having 1/3 per meal would optimise your weight loss.

I can understand why they don't say you must eat 1/3 per meal cos it's a money making business and the longer it takes you to lose weight the more money they make. Obviously you need to lose enough every week to make you want to carry on. It would be interesting to know how much of a difference to weight loss having 1/3 over the day compared to 1/3 per meal makes. It might be something like half a pound. Does anyone fancy doing a scientific study :8855:

This thread has me so panicked I cooked cabbage to go with my chilli and rice even though it has toms, onions peppers and a load of mixed veg in it! lol

My C says that she advises 1/3 SF in your day. I can't think of an example off hand, but i'm sure there are some meals where having added sf just doesnt go.

I follow that- if i have something like....i dunno, chilli and rice, and i have no salad/veggies with it, then i have some fruit right after- some people go "oh no- thats bad" some people think its ok.

Personally (and i know some people will roll their eyes at me- i'm watching you as you're reading this :sign0151: ) when something like this affects my weight loss in a negative way- i will stop doing it

The way i'm doing it is working for me- and i ensure that at least 1/3 of my daily food intake is SF food, not specific meals.

I try to stick to it *generally*, but if Im having, say, fish & chips with mushy peas, frankly the SF can sod off :rolleyes:

ermintrude said:
I try to stick to it *generally*, but if Im having, say, fish & chips with mushy peas, frankly the SF can sod off :rolleyes:

That's SF so it's fine!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I try to stick to it *generally*, but if Im having, say, fish & chips with mushy peas, frankly the SF can sod off

That's SF so it's fine!!! :)

Que? :confused:

I count the sf I add to my recipe as my 1/3 surely eating even more would cost a fortune, I already spend loads on fruit and veg for the whole family as it is, without adding even more to a meal where a side salad isn't wanted, will just make me resent the plan, I always have fruit with breakfast and salad with lunch but if I do a stew or stirfry or casserole, I do not want a side salad with it or extra veggies on the side.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Mushy peas are SF in my opinion (should have added that) :)

Ahhh, are "in my opinion" :D

Nah in my non-SW rulebook Im quite happy to accept theyre not SF but eat the ******* anyway without anything that *is* SF. :)

ermintrude said:
Ahhh, are "in my opinion" :D

Nah in my non-SW rulebook Im quite happy to accept theyre not SF but eat the ******* anyway without anything that *is* SF. :)

Yes - have no idea why peas aren't either but no doubt someone will come along and blind me with science soon enough!!!

lsf666 said:
Yes - have no idea why peas aren't either but no doubt someone will come along and blind me with science soon enough!!!

My idea is that they are higher in sugar...not a scientific answer, just my thinking behind the reason they ain't superfree, same as sweetcorn x

KraziKayzi said:
My idea is that they are higher in sugar...not a scientific answer, just my thinking behind the reason they ain't superfree, same as sweetcorn x

Maybe but surely fruits have more sugar too??? :)

No, peas and other pulses (lentils and beans etc) have lots of protein in. The carbs they have are complex so less sugars. They are also much more 'dense' than fruit or other veggies - ie they have (comparitively) less water (although its still a lot of water compared to non-fruit/veg).

KraziKayzi said:

Its because they are starchy, so higher in carbs than other veg, hence higher in calories.

My C says you need to eat 1/3 SF throughout the day!

Personally, I stick with red days as I have always found EE way to confusing and I eat more!

Wow, what a thread! So interesting. I am now at target but have lost 2.5 stone on mainly red days, with a few green thrown in. I have tried a few ee but have a problem with veg so find red and green easier. I dont follow the 1/3rd superfree rule with these plans and have managed to lose all this weight so am just continuing. I do eat a lot of fruit though. As has already been stated, you reduce your consumption of calories on these plans by your hebs ie heb potato on a red day, or small amount of meat/fish on a green day, by measuring these. Worked for me anyway

lsf666 said:

Mushy peas aren't actually made from regular peas.

Back