1/3 superfree rule interpretation - anyone know definitively?

Ellie666 said:
Mushy peas aren't actually made from regular peas.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks baby. I did know that! I was just saying I didn't get why peas or mushy peas aren't SF. Now it's been explained I'm fine :)

I had another thought about this last night (as it IS on my mind!)

Whilst I was filing out my food diart last night I was thinking if I was to show it to my consultant how would she know at what point during the day i'd actually eaten the superfree? If you think about it there's a box for 1/3rd SF and I think she'll be looking for it completed as a whole day, I mean if i've put wrote strawberries and melon as my 1st entry, she wouldn't actually know if I had that at breakfast would she?

Anyway I know what I mean, even if I don't make any sense! :whistle:

You make perfect sense! I guess the only way they would notice is if all your superfree was fruit - unless you add that to spag bol!

That does make sense :)

That was why I hated using the SW food diaries and now just do my own. I prefer to see what meals I ate not what ingredients!

You make perfect sense! I guess the only way they would notice is if all your superfree was fruit - unless you add that to spag bol!

Well this was my question:

Please could you clarify on the requirement of superfree as part of a meal on Extra Easy.

Does it have to be a separate portion on the plate (ie 1/3 of the plate) must be superfree – or is it acceptable to merely be an ingredient?

For example – if I made a bolognaise sauce that contained extra lean mince, but also chopped tomato, onion, passata, mushroom, courgette & peppers.

Can I just have bolognaise sauce plus pasta and have the veg in the sauce as my superfree.

Or must I have a separate portion of superfree too physically taking up an extra 1/3 of my plate (so a side of salad or vegetables as well as the pasta and the sauce)

I think that a separate portion is NOT required, however, in my group this week my consultant was adamant that if there was not a totally separate portion then it did not constitute a proper EE meal.

I am well aware that it is a recommendation not a rule – however it would be helpful to have the distinction as to what is technically correct.

Regards,

Mandy Ingram

And this was their answer:

Hi Mandy

Thank you very much for your enquiry regarding Superfree food

The Superfree portion is a separate portion on the plate, but this is not always possible or needed with every meal, therefore we recommend that at least one of your meals during the day incorporates this on the Extra Easy Plan

Wishing you every success

Kind Regards

Cathryn
Member Services Team

I admit I'm a little surprised - basically because technically I am wrong -along with all those others that agreed with me.

I do see where they are coming from though - basically they are saying that technically, the 1/3 on a plate thing is a rule, but dont get hung up on it for every meal where it isnt possible, or sensible. I may well have a stew, curry or spag bol as 2 or 3 meals out of 21 in a week, but when I have a traditional meat and veg type meal, then the 1/3 superfree thing is something I would always look to fulfil, and SW's rule encourages me to do that.

And if its loaded up with veg in the sauce anyway (as it always is for me anyway) then that is still naturally reducing the amount of carbs/protein in a single portion anyway, so thats a bonus.

I guess the rules are clear enough for the majority of people, its just that saddoes like us that spend far too much time on websites thinking about it and questioning everything that are bothered!

I'm still counting it anyway...:cool:

Well done to all who have emailed SW, the replies are most interesting - I wonder if all will be the same?

As I posted earlier, the superfree is a recommendation, not a rule. I will continue to use my ingredients as part of my superfree and to try to have a third superfree with all my meals but I will not add superfree for the sake of it! I find the superfree doesn't limit my portion size on some meals - if I have a pasta dish or a risotto, I'll serve up my normal portion size regardless of whether or not I have salad on the side.

Some fab thoughts and discussion on this thread, have enjoyed it!

KraziKayzi said:
Sorry if this has already been said, but is the superfree 1/3 not just to fill you up so you don't over eat on the free food?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Its that, but also basic nutritional advice. You don't get enough vitamins & minerals (which actually aid weight loss) otherwise, plus they are good for your fibre intake.

I will continue to use my ingredients as part of my superfree and to try to have a third superfree with all my meals but I will not add superfree for the sake of it! I find the superfree doesn't limit my portion size on some meals - if I have a pasta dish or a risotto, I'll serve up my normal portion size regardless of whether or not I have salad on the side.

I couldn't agree more. The number of times at the beginning that I over ate because I was forcing down superfree even if I wasn't hungry was unreal. I was told that even after my meal, I had to have 1/3 superfree so if I hadn't squeezed it in, to have fruit for dessert even if I was full. I'm sure this is why in my first 3 weeks I only lost 2lbs.
Thank goodness for this forum setting me straight early on. :eek:)

I couldn't agree more. The number of times at the beginning that I over ate because I was forcing down superfree even if I wasn't hungry was unreal. I was told that even after my meal, I had to have 1/3 superfree so if I hadn't squeezed it in, to have fruit for dessert even if I was full. I'm sure this is why in my first 3 weeks I only lost 2lbs.
Thank goodness for this forum setting me straight early on. :eek:)

Its often the case that people get told the 1/3rd superfree 'rule' without being told it involves reducing how much of something else you eat! Same as you - I was adding superfree when I first started, and still eating as much as I had before of everything else. I reckon if there is a way of messing this plan up - I did it in my first month or so :)

On the same note, I've got a bowl of this super speed soup stuff that i whizzed together last week. That's 1/3 SF if not 1/2 yet here I am, with a superfree border around my soup bowl of carrots, pickled cabbage, cucumber, pickled onion and cherry tomatoes. If this is what SW recommend by having 1/3 SF on the side aswell, I'm going to be the size of a house by Christmas, not target!!!

Here's a thought for you all - opinions please!

Here's what i've eaten so far today.
Porridge & scan bran with mullerlight, half a box of frozen raspberries & half a box of frozen summer fruits. (1/3 superfree)

A mixed fruit salad (kiwi, mango, melon, orange, apple, grape)

A superfood salad from pod which was spinach, soya beans, green beans, supersnap peas, beetroot, peas, courgette, spring onion, and smoked salmon (about 2/3rds superfree)

A spicy sobo soup with chicken, rice noodles, carrot, onion, mango tout, cabbage (about 1/2 the bit thats not broth was superfree)

If i have pork loin, a jacket potato & beans tonight - will i have had my 1/3rd superfree for the day or should i add some more just in case???

You mean baked beans with your dinner?

Personally, I follow the 1/3 with every meal rule so I'd add substitute something. (I'd probably have half the beans, half the jacket and add a can of mushrooms or carrots) but as per your reply from SW, if it counts as SF over the course of a day, you'll be well in line for 1/3 overall.

HelsAngel said:
You mean baked beans with your dinner?

Personally, I follow the 1/3 with every meal rule so I'd add substitute something. (I'd probably have half the beans, half the jacket and add a can of mushrooms or carrots) but as per your reply from SW, if it counts as SF over the course of a day, you'll be well in line for 1/3 overall.

Yeah, meant baked beans. Tbh, i was going to have less beans & jacket anyway to compensate, then if still hungry get out the carrot sticks. Maybe i'll have some mushrooms & frylighted onions with it instead

I think too much thought is going into this - it's meant to be easy, not extra complicated!
Half a jacket potato? No thanks!

Let's try not to think about it too much, it's a recipe for disaster. It's all best endeavours anyway.

Eat your jacket, pork and baked beans - you will be fine. Even SW literature has non EE meals as examples occasionally(fish chips and peas etc). I think that is to illustrate that occasionally, the meals dont fit EE, but in the scheme of things, as long as most things follow the rules, you will be fine.

You've had superfree coming out of your ears today - one portion of baked beans isnt going to hurt. If I couldnt have beans/peas as part of a meal without chucking another load of veg with it I dont think I'd ever see the point of having them!

jaylou said:
I think too much thought is going into this - it's meant to be easy, not extra complicated!
Half a jacket potato? No thanks!

Let's try not to think about it too much, it's a recipe for disaster. It's all best endeavours anyway.

I was more thinking one jacket instead of two!!!! Who eats half a jacket???? People who don't need to loose weight - thats who!!!

I often have a half a jacket. If I have a big salad, spaghetti hoops and a jacket, I half the jacket and hoops and have it the next day. I never used to and then thought I was over-eating. Works for me. Only for lunch though.

Back