1/3 superfree rule interpretation - anyone know definitively?

Answer from the FAQ section of the SW website

Is a third of a plate of Superfree Food mandatory on the Extra Easy plan?

A: No, we'd never insist you eat in a way that might not suit you. However, we encourage you to include a third of a plate of Superfree Food to keep Extra Easy extra low energy density (low calorie), extra satisfying and extra healthy to optimise weight loss.

With regards to superfree ingredients not counting, this seems crazy to me! Last night I had beef stew - in it I put, carrots, swede, peppers and onions. I ate the whole thing out of a bowl. So the consultant is saying that my superfree doesn't count and I should eat my beef stew (beef and gravy) with the carrots, swede, pepper and onions "on the side" - Durrrrrr!!!!!!!!

I've sent them an email.

Normally you contact them through the box on here but once you've done it once their reply gives you the contact email which is: online dot support at slimmingworld dot com (replace the obvious with the relevant symbols)

PS They take AGES to reply, I've asked a few times and its usually about 2 weeks, but the last question (about potatoes as HEX on red) took 3 weeks. :shocked:

I can't find an email address to contact them! I want to know for sure, and if nothing else highlight to them the massive inconsistency of approach!:mad:

Stackhead - I already put a stick of raw celery in my soup - i thought everyone did ;)

Kingleds....for the last time....a Bl00dy Mary is NOT soup!!!!;);););)

OMG - I got a reply!!!

Hi Sarah
Thank you for your email with regard to Superfree Foods.
The one third Superfree Food is a recommendation and as long as Members aim to have one third of Superfree Food of their daily food consumption then their weight loss will be maximised.
Fill 1/3rd of your plate with Superfree Foods and make them your first choice between meals. You'll naturally limit your energy intake without counting a single calorie, and you'll be enjoying a really healthy diet, making your weight loss success extra easy.
Hope this helps and wish you every success on your weight loss journey.
Kind regards
Sheila
Member Services

So, a standard response that actually does not answer the question that was asked. And not only that but it contradicts itself into the bargain. Aim to have one third of your daily consumption as superfree .....but also fill your plate with one third superfree. Well done SW!

"aim to have one third of Superfree Food of their daily food consumption"

Bargain. 1/3 of my DAILY food consumption is 1 meal ie. Breakfast. So if I eat just fruit for breakfast (which is normal anyway), I don't have to faff about with salad prep when I'm at work. Mwahaha.

OMG - I got a reply!!!

Hi Sarah
Thank you for your email with regard to Superfree Foods.
The one third Superfree Food is a recommendation and as long as Members aim to have one third of Superfree Food of their daily food consumption then their weight loss will be maximised.
Fill 1/3rd of your plate with Superfree Foods and make them your first choice between meals. You'll naturally limit your energy intake without counting a single calorie, and you'll be enjoying a really healthy diet, making your weight loss success extra easy.
Hope this helps and wish you every success on your weight loss journey.
Kind regards
Sheila
Member Services

Thanks for going to the trouble of asking them, seeing as I had opened the can of worms in the first place.

Unfortunately they seem to have totally missed the point of the question. Was english comprehension ever taught in their school????

Clear as mud then!

Funny, I thought it made it pretty clear tbh!

1) 1/3rd Superfree is a recommendation NOT a rule
2) 1/3rd of your food should be Superfree (no distinction between SF in stuff or with stuff - it all counts)
3) To optimise your weight loss you should fill 1/3rd of your plate with superfree (but you don't HAVE to because its not a rule)

Seems to me that they are making themselve a rod for their own vacks though. SUrely it would make more sense to say you MUST have 1/3rd superfree in EVERY meal, and you can't ount SF you put in recipes. That way when people don't loose weight they can fall back on the 'you aren't following plan'. As it is they are leaving alot up to individuals - I prefer it that way, but some people would use it as a get out clause and blame the plan for lack of weight loss rather than themselves.

I thought the question was if superfree foods used as an ingredient counted?

They didn't answer that directly.

What they've said can be found in the book!

I thought the question was if superfree foods used as an ingredient counted?

They didn't answer that directly.

What they've said can be found in the book!

It was, I read the response from them (admittedly mroe through admission rather than them actually being specifc) to mean that you can count the SF in recipes.

I have sent the below back - lets see what happens.

Hello Sheila

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately it really does not answer my question, and highlights again the huge discrepancies between what your website says, and what consultants say in group. I believe that most SW members do not mind what the advice is, just that it is consistent.

Specially, I would like clarification on whether the superfree vegetables that I add to a recipe (eg cook within my Bolognese sauce) count towards my 1/3rd superfree in a meal.

Thank you in advance
Sarah

Yep, they did in a roundabout fashion but why could they not say - "yes you can use and count your third superfree as ingredients in a recipe" (In a more grammatically correct way!!)

I asked a question ages ago about eating pasta quiche, and again they answered in a woolly fashion!

Yep, they did in a roundabout fashion but why could they not say - "yes you can use and count your third superfree as ingredients in a recipe" (In a more grammatically correct way!!)

I asked a question ages ago about eating pasta quiche, and again they answered in a woolly fashion!
hi jaylou i didn't know there was a pasta quiche i will have to look it up in recipes and see if i can find it, i txt'd my group leader about whether u can count it if u put it in the meal and she said yes she also said it was only a recommendation that ur weight loss would be better if u did include it at each meal
xx

if your con is telling you to have 1/3 sf seperately as well as those included in meals like bolognaise then it seems to me that the meal is no longer extra easy. She has altered it to success express where 2/3 of the meal must be superfree and syns are calculated as per the highest value on the red/green plans.You also have 2 hex aand b choices.
As regards red/green I started on SW in 1991 and both red and green plans have always suggested it wouldbe helpful to have 1/3 sf but not made it mandatory. I have checked evrything I have on the plans (and its a lot) but nowhere does it make sf mandatory.Hope that helps a alittle.

I don't do EE for 2 reasons, the fact that you can only have 2 hexas and because of the 1/3rd sf. I did SW about 5 years ago and list 2 stone doing mainly green days with very little sf, although I always have only fruit and yogurt for breakfast. Lunch is a huge plate of pasta or a jacket and beans.

So I don't have 1/3 SF on green or red as you never used to have to and I lost weight not doing it!

I don't do EE for 2 reasons, the fact that you can only have 2 hexas and because of the 1/3rd sf.

I am much the same - not a sf fan so have found red/green work better for me. Will be interested to see what answer you get this time Sarah.

Back