Extra Easy 1/3 superfree

Dirtycellar

I wouldn't say I'm a fussy eater but unless theyre in something (bolognese or chili for eg) I'm not the biggest veg or salad fan. I love peas, not sf, and I only like brocolli with gravy on. So, if I'm not eating a sauce based meal, which tbh is usually tomato based making the 1/3 easy, I'm struggling to make up the 1/3. Salad wise i only like leaves and onion. If I do side salad & fruit with said meals will this do? Sorry that prob makes no sense....

Eat superfree fruit before your meal and then stop eating your meal when full after your fruit

It's worthwhile making an effort to overcome these childhood hang-ups about vegetables which usually comes about from being forced to eat badly cooked veggies as a kid.

Firstly because they are an essential part of a healthy diet, secondly because they will improve your weight loss, and thirdly because they will give you variety in what you eat that is essential if you are to follow any diet plan in the long-term. Like any phobia the way to overcome it is repeated exposure to them on a daily basis.

An easy way to get them in is to make soups or include them in sauces and blend them. Then start by grating or chopping them really finely to put in pasta, curry, chilli etc. There are so many vegetables and so many different ways of cooking them there must be some that you will like if you given them a fair go. You't got your tins of chopped tomatoes and passata that also count as superfree - then what what about onion, tomaties, peppers, courgette and aubergine. Then you have your sweet potato (not superfree but still really healthy) and butternut squash for chips, mash and roasted.

I was just like this. I am now on week six and can honestly say I am enjoying lots of fruit and a fair few veg. On days I struggle with my 1/3 superfree I snack on melon and strawberries with kiwi. Loving it. Believe me I never thought anyone would ever hear me say that but I am amazed how many fruits and vegs I actually enjoy now that I thought I hated.

I agree with what the others said, it's something you really have to try to overcome. It took me ages to learn to eat vegetables on their own but now I love them. I started off hiding them in sauces and chopping them finely, then gradually having bigger and bigger pieces of them until I could tolerate eating them by themselves.

Have you tried cous-cous? One of the things I used to do is hide my veg in there. Chop the veg up really finely - onions, tomatoes, courgettes, peppers are good - fry in frylight until softened, add the cous-cous and fry for a few minutes, then add water and a stock cube (chicken is gorgeous), plus some herbs and spices. If you do it right, you won't taste the individual veg. I would put in about 1tbsp oregano, 1 tsp basil and 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes.

Why don't you try Red or Green days instead of EE that way you don't need to worry about your 1/3 superfree, I only do EE once a week on my Chinese take-away day so I can have rice with my chicken n black bean :)

If u like peas, do u like sugarsnap peas? I have these when I do EE as they're superfree. Not that I do EE very often, I life my he too much!!!

Lots of good points here, but not for the first time Circes gets it right!

I used to have my issues with vegetables, although I could always eat them raw, but I eat most of them now. It is just a matter of cooking them properly.

Still can't stand peas - although I like sugarsnap and mangetout!

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with the fruit n veg, eat it all cooked in stuff, not even chopped tiny, mushrooms peppers etc but I just don't like the raw taste or cooked on their own. Not tried sugarsnap, do they taste like peas? Have tried cooked many ways, trust me, and I wish I liked them.

You should have no problem then - you don't have to have them raw or cooked on their own. I rarely do because thats not the types of meal I eat. I don't have salads or the meat and two veg stuff. But I still down a whole load of veggies in curries, chillies, pasta sauces, risottos, pasta bakes and dishes like that.

Circes said:
You should have no problem then - you don't have to have them raw or cooked on their own. I rarely do because thats not the types of meal I eat. I don't have salads or the meat and two veg stuff. But I still down a whole load of veggies in curries, chillies, pasta sauces, risottos, pasta bakes and dishes like that.

Oh good!! Lol

What sort of lunches do you have then?

I love gravy but dont fancy using my syns on it so I have started boiling some celery then blending it once its soft. I add an oxo cube to hot water then add in the celery. Makes it thicker, can put onions in the blender with the celery too. I HATE the taste of it raw but I cant get enough of it in my gravy/soup/stew stocks, you just cant taste it at all.

Since starting sw 4 weeks ago ive only used gravy granues once! Im completely amazed as I love my gravy!!

Oh good!! Lol

What sort of lunches do you have then?

Soups
Baked potatoes
SW quiche
Tortilla
Pasta salads
Rice Salads
Cous Cous salads
Leftovers from the night before
Ryvita with toppings
Filled pitta bread
Sandwiches
Omelettes
Food flask with curry, chilli, stew etc.

Loads of stuff! There are dozens of threads full of lunch ideas so try doing a search on "lunch box" or "packed lunch" to find them.

Kerry im going to have to try that

Kerry im going to have to try that

Ive found it works best when making chicken soup. I hate really watery soups and it just helps fill it out - when settled it looks watery but give it a stir and it goes nice and thick!

I was amazed that it tastes of nothing, raw salary smells awful! Although when you boil it it does smell!! Great way of getting some extra SF into my meals tho :)

I was going to use instant mash in things to thicken but thats a free only on green so the celery is a fab alternitive

I'll blend anything to make stuff thicker!!! lol

So far tried:
Celery, carrots, broccoli, chicken (when used in my soup!), leeks and onions.

I imagine you could use loads of diff veg to make things thicker and its good cos its free on all plans

I started EE today and I can't shake the feeling of 'dieters' guilt. I'm so used to having to measure and weigh stuff and having a limit. Tonight while everyone was eating apple crumble I was eating chopped apricot nectarine peach and apple. Because I feel full I feel guilty!!....... The diet industry got ALOT to answer for 8-\ xx

Celeriac is great for thickening soups. It tastes a little like celery, but it is a big knobbly root vegetable. It blends very smoothly when cooked.

Back