1/3rd superfree per meal - are you getting yours?

Mandlegrot

Gold Member
Browsing through a lot of the food diaries and I notice people either aren't filling their plate with 1/3 superfree foods, or aren't recording it. I think this is one of SW big sucesses - if you fill a plate with that sort of food, thats a third less meat/potato etc you will eat!

Remember baked beans are NOT SUPERFREE.

How do you get yours then?

I find for breakfast if I have cereal, I'll have another bowl full of fruit as I hate them mixed (texture is yucky)
Big side salad with free dressing if I have soup
warm tomatos, fried onions/leeks/courgette with a cooked breakfast.

easily done! But then again, I'm vegan and love fruit and veg :)

I always have mine, well except on the odd day when I'm doing green and really fancy chips and mushy pea's although even then I end up eating loads of fruit and roasting something like a bit of pumpkin to have alongside the chips.

I love my superfree, I think most things people say veg doesn't go with you can have mushrooms, onions, toms, courgettes ect. all fried with it.

I have loads of fruit n veg with every meal. Apart from my lunch today cause I'm in my mums and she doesn't have any :(

Can someone look at my food diary for yesterday and let me know if I'm on track? It's under 14lbs to go

I don't think you need superfree with HEX, if your just having a cheese toastie your fine, you'd only need the superfree if you decided to have some chips with it or something. As HEX are similar to syns, if your having a hifi bar or a chocolate bar you'd only have some fruit with it if you wanted it not because you had to have it with the chocolate... if you get what I mean

mushy peas are superfree on a green day - i don't know how that fits in with having fish with your chips though...

Jenna88 - you could wash it down with some fruit? I don't literally put 1/3 of fruit/veg on my plate as sometimes it wouldn't go (cereal and milk with fruit - yuck! fruit on the side - good!)

its rare that i don't have 1/3 but when i don't i have a bowl of fuit or a side salad with it to 'balance it out' and that stops me from being hungry later on.

mushy peas are superfree on a green day - i don't know how that fits in with having fish with your chips though...

Jenna88 - you could wash it down with some fruit? I don't literally put 1/3 of fruit/veg on my plate as sometimes it wouldn't go (cereal and milk with fruit - yuck! fruit on the side - good!)

its rare that i don't have 1/3 but when i don't i have a bowl of fuit or a side salad with it to 'balance it out' and that stops me from being hungry later on.

Mushypeas are not superfree on any day. Mushy peas are a free food on a green day, never superfree.

I have my superfree on 99% of my meals, even on read and green days.

Only time I don't is if I have fish, chips and peas!

I try to and to be honest, you do have better losses xxxxx

Today for brekkie I had a slice of couscous cake with vanilla yogurt and sliced banana apple and raspberries on top, lunch was a prawn butty with tones of rocket and tomatoes and an apple, dinner is chicken something with tatties and a mahoosive salad. You just got to work it in somehow x

superfree is the same on all plans, so normal pea's are just free on green as well. But its not as important to have your third superfree on green, its just a good idea to not go over on the carbs, but lots of people do it without the superfree

Thats crazy. I don't see how you could do green without superfree?? Surely its aimed towards veggies...I think you'd have a hard time going to the toilet and functioning if you didn't eat your fruit and veg ;)

Why is it crazy?
Jacket potato and beans
Spanish omelette
Egg, chips and peas/beans
Pasta in sauce

Soooo many non superfree options. It is easily done as a lot of people choose to follow red and green because they struggle with superfree.

However, emphasis is now being placed on having the superfree but red and green have been around for years without this "rule"

See being vegan I'd die of boredom if I ate no veg/fruit. surely thats not good for you, eating eggs/spuds/pasta all the time with nothing good with it? I guess different things work for different people...i personally couldn't live without veg.

You probably wouldn't be a well woman either!!!

Each to their own, I love veg, salad and fruit but there are a lot of folk who don't.

It's also open to interpretation - my dinner tonight is a bacon and pea pasta dish. No superfree going on in there so I serve it with half a bag of rocket. Yes it fills a third (if not more) of my plate, but technically it's not really a third of my meal.....I know I could add veg to the pasta but then it wouldn't be the same and I don't have much more salad in the house.

Sometimes it just doesn't fit.

I don't always add it to my plate - breakfast is a prime example. I really hate fruit mixed with cereal and milk (texture, soggy, eugh) so I'll have my cereal and soy milk, then a bowl of fruit salad. Technically I'll eat at least 1/2 a plate of superfree every meal instead of 1/3, but not 'with' the rest of it if you know what I mean? I think its more a way to encourage more fruit and veg into a diet - which isn't a concern for me - but for people that don't eat any of it its a real concern.

I'm not sure it is a way to encourage more fruit and veg into a diet as that would just mean adding food possibly for the sake of it. I understood it as a way of limiting the portion size of the free foods we eat but thats not always a popular opinion and I don't always stick to it myself!
For e.g grapes are superfree and I could eat those by the punnet full whether am 'satisfied' or not so though I may have a meal and then the grapes if there wasn't a third superfree on my plate with my free foods I wouldn't really be following the guidelines.

I have 1/3rd minimum when doing any of the three plans. My consultant has figures drawn for the red plan and green plan (paper ladies) and each of them has 1/3rd superfree. Most people say "it's only a suggestion", but to me if it is rexommended as part if the plan then it is part of the plan and I do it. This evening it was 3/4 stir fry veg, 1/4 fish... Probably even less fish as my son decided he liked it. Haha.

yes I think its key to extra easy.for breakfast if I have weetabix I have it with banana and strawberry,yes I know banana isn't superfree.if I've yogurt I have it with chopped apple or pear .if I've a fry up ill have tons of mushrooms and grilled tomato. for lunch i fill up on salad with pitta bread and meats etc. for dinner my fave super free is green beans on side of everything I eat you can get a huge frozen bag for a pound .or I use brocoli,cauliflower etc on the sidex or mushrooms peppers,onions cooked into what ever I'm makin.eg a curry or diet coke chicken x

Back