10 foods to lose pounds

Capirossi

Taken from Healthy magazine, Jan/Feb issue. Food for thought....:p

10 foods to lose pounds

1. Grapefruit. Research found that obese people who ate half a grapefruit before each meal lost significantly more weight. It’s thought the effect is down to the grapefruit’s ability to lower levels of the blood-glucose regulating hormone, insulin.
2. Celery. Thanks to its high water content, celery is low in calories (6 per stick). Its fibre content makes it filling, while the crunch makes it satisfying.
3. Low-fat cottage cheese. Low-fat dairy products could speed weight loss. A study published in Obesity research found that dieters eating a reduced-calorie high dairy diet lost 11% of their body weight, compared with 6% for a ‘low-dairy’ group.
4. Eggs are crammed with protein, choline, folic acid, iron and zinc; and there are only 89cals per egg. Scientists as Louisiana State University gave overweight women a reduced-calorie diet with ‘egg breakfasts’ or bagel breakfasts’ five days a week, for eight weeks. The egg group felt fuller and ate fewer calories during the day, lost 65% more weight, and their waists shrank 83% more than the other group.
5. Pears. A sweet pear is great for quelling cravings for sugary snacks. Plus it’s high in fibre and one of the lowest GI fruits, making it super-sustaining.
6. Cinnamon. This warming spice has a reputation for helping to balance blood sugar. A US study showed that just a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon a day lowered the blood sugar and cholesterol levels of people with type 2 diabetes.
7. White fish. Protein is far more sustaining that carbohydrate. As well as being chock full of it, white fish – such as cod or haddock – is extremely low in calories and fat.
8. Curry spices. Spicy food can rev up your metabolism. Researchers from the University of Maastricht, Netherlands, found that the best results came from combinations of black pepper, coriander, turmeric, red chilli, cumin, ginger and onion. So you can dig into curry (but avoid the creamy ones).
9. Dark green salad leaves. Salad is bulky and filling. Because it takes a while to munch on, it allows your stomach’s ‘full’ signal to reach your brain. In a study of 42 women at Pennsylvania University, those who ate a large low-calorie salad starter ate 12% fewer calories overall than those who didn’t.
10. Porridge. Oats are packed full of fibre, making porridge a low-GI food that helps keep your energy levels stable.

Cinnamon on porridge...mmmm....
Love them all except grapefruit & celery- 8 out of 10 ain't bad!

Thats pretty interesting as I had started eating egg for breakfast for this very reason, i had noticed i felt much less hungry if i ate scrambled egg and a quorn sausage instead of toast or cereal.

I dont really like any of it except for pears/eggs/fish. My ww mother in law ate a full 'grilled' english breakfast every day on her diet and lost 2 stones. She told me i should 'breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dine like a pauper.' It's ideal she burnt off the max amount of cals throughout the day but her tea was a miserable boiled egg or something. And who wants to eat a huge plate at breakfast every morning URGH! Alot of people can't sustain this really but it works!

I dont really like any of it except for pears/eggs/fish. My ww mother in law ate a full 'grilled' english breakfast every day on her diet and lost 2 stones. She told me i should 'breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dine like a pauper.' It's ideal she burnt off the max amount of cals throughout the day but her tea was a miserable boiled egg or something. And who wants to eat a huge plate at breakfast every morning URGH! Alot of people can't sustain this really but it works!

Yeah, it sounds great in theory....lol

I find I have only been having a bowl of cereal in the evenings lately, so I could very well cope with a small dinner. However, who realistically has the time and stomach to eat a large breakfast?!!

I suppose I could prepare a load of food to bring to work, and spend the first hour of my day stuffing my face - beats working eh?!!! :D

Back