1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - Peter Boxall

Fascinating!!!

I've just had a quick count-up and I've read at least 188 of them - that's what comes from having an English teacher for a mother and growing up with literally hundreds of classics on the bookshelves!

It's also because the blurke who compiled this list has similar tastes in authors as me (clever lad LMTO!!) - like Iain Banks, Huxley, Hardy etc.

But a whole lot of them, I've never even heard of! So I feel a bit dim lol!

Thank you for that, hun - I'm going to print this off and start working my way through them (I'm a bugger for books - read one every couple of days - it's an obsession!)

I also think I need to start building up my collection of classics for my daughters so that they're available for their persual, if they feel like it - just like my mum did with me.

Cheers!

xxxxxxxxxx

If anyone is trying to catch up on the Classics, you should look out for Wordsworth classics - they publish over 700 classics for only £1.99. And it's the complete text - if you buy the £2 Penguins, they're not always the complete text, they often abridge them as they want you to buy the snazzier Penguin Classics which cost at least £6.99 each. I read tons and have just stocked up on books from Wordsworth - at £1.99 it's cheaper than a magazine. Most bookshops will order them if they don't have them in stock and Amazon sell them - I've just got all mine from there. I used to buy them when I was a kid - only £1 then!!
You can see their full catalogue at Wordsworth Editions Ltd

It lets you download it as a PDF file and then you can browse through it.
They're an absolute bargain.

Never mind Coley, I've only read 14 !!! Just have different taste in books that's all.... I read lots of Sci-fi !!! Oh and diet books LOL

I've read 180 ... so catching up with you isobel! Most from pre-20th century ..... because I had to! Will start working through more of the modern ones.....

I've read 180 ... so catching up with you isobel! Most from pre-20th century ..... because I had to! Will start working through more of the modern ones.....

LOL - oh no - I'd better keep ploughing my way through the list if I want to keep my crown :queen:! Teehee!!

xxxxx

I've read 34, and have a couple of them on my bookshelf which will be read very soonly.
I'm only 22 so I've got plenty of time I reckon!

~Silence~

I've read about 20, with about 15 more on my shelf at home. I consider myself well-read! lol

I don't agree with some of the choices: On Beauty - Zadie Smith I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

The two Christopher Isherwood titles I HIGHLY recommend though!

They're sometimes not the "best" books to read - The Awakening by Kate Chopin is the biggest drag EVER! - but the books with literary significance, in terms of plot, narrative style, themes etc.

Most of the books from my A-Level English literature were on this list. The Awakening, The Bell Jar, The Wasp Factory, The Handmaid's Tale. Whack some Shakespeare and Chaucer on the list and its all of them covered.

I'm currently making my way through a booklist Ottakers published as part of a promotion a couple of years ago called 101 Books to Read Before You Die. Most of them are in the 1001 booklist as well. I think it might be my next project, after I finish my 101 books.

~Silence~

No you can't count films! That's cheating. ;)
Films are NEVER as good as the book!!! EVER.

~Silence~

They're sometimes not the "best" books to read - The Awakening by Kate Chopin is the biggest drag EVER! - but the books with literary significance, in terms of plot, narrative style, themes etc.

Most of the books from my A-Level English literature were on this list. The Awakening, The Bell Jar, The Wasp Factory, The Handmaid's Tale. Whack some Shakespeare and Chaucer on the list and its all of them covered.

I'm currently making my way through a booklist Ottakers published as part of a promotion a couple of years ago called 101 Books to Read Before You Die. Most of them are in the 1001 booklist as well. I think it might be my next project, after I finish my 101 books.

~Silence~

I still wouldn't recommend Zadie Smiths - On Beauty. Just read Howards End instead.

There's more than 1001 books, there - Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, for instance is a series of 12 books!

Back