12 syns - whole sponge cake!!

I made this this afternoon and it turned out great, really pleased with it. I whisked the eggs whole with the sweetener until they were massive and then folded in the flour & cocoa powder (28g each of flour & cocoa powder) to make a chocolate one.

I intended to put it all in a loaf tin so I can slice it up & take it to work but there was so much mixture I also made a round cake. I've already eaten 2 slices of the smaller round cake. Ooops!

Great recipe, I can see me using this alot.

I was going to make this today but as I am so desperate for another pound off before tomorrow nights weigh in I think I had better leave it until after weigh in otherwise I will (I KNOW ME) eat the lot with a cuppa - greedy guts me!

Must must must remember where the recipe is though.

Thanks everyone.

I tried this last night and I have to say it didn't turn out too great! Found the flour was really difficult to mix into the fluffy eggs....and the end result was a little too eggy for my liking. A bit like eggy bread with a bit of sweetener added to it. Is this how it's supposed to taste or have I gone completely wrong?! I am using a little table top oven so not sure if it was too hot or something like that.

Was so excited for it, had invited friends round and everything!! Ended up having to do a mad dash to the bakery to fulfill their sweetness needs.

Not going to give up on this one though....if at first you don't succeed! :confused:

hi when i've whisk my eggs they are'nt fluffy just a lot fuller and i sift the flour in then gently mix in with a whisk and the oven might not get as hot as a normal one, i find when the sponge is warm it does taste a bit egg but it tastes like normal fat free sponge :)

For some reason I can't 'thank' Mrs V but I've tried this cake twice now (once with half cocoa powder, half flour) and it's lovely. I take in a little slice to eat at my desk every day & it stops me feeling like I'm missing out on the biscuits & chocolates that keep appearing at work.

This cake sounds really good. Am going to give it a go tomorrow. Is it 12 syns including the jam filling? What about with a quark filling?

What other fillings have people tried? x

hi its 12 syns with the jam depending how much u use (4 teaspoons not sure if ur meant to use lower sugar jam or not) if u use quark it depends what u add to it if u use 2 choc options will be 14 syns i made one using lemon juice and sweetener which was free so whole cake was 10 syns or u can make the free lemon curd :)

I made mine today - it came out so well - for me - I don't think I shall win any cheffy competitions but it was delicious with a cuppa for breakfast !

mine was 16 syns as I used 2 tbsp of jam and put a white choccy options in the quark. Still - cut into 6 slices thats just less than 3 syns per slice and well worth it.

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 469
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 371
Just got around to making this tonight - thank you so much, this is the only sw cake i have managed to make that actually looks and tastes like a cake! :eek:)

our cake has gone ! So can only make that once a fortnight as I want tokeep cutting myself a slice.

Thanks for the recipe. Have made one tonight for testing lol as we have taster night tomorrow. The kids thought it was lovely which coming from them is a big thumbs up. I put jam and greek yoghurt (with sweetner) in mine and cut it into 8 slices, so 1.5 syns per slice and tasted lovely. Will make another tomorrow to take with me to class. x

So glad I saw this thread! I'm really missing cake! Only problem i've got is i've only made one sponge in my life....it came out like a frisbee!! lol So I might need a few tries to master this but i'm gonna keep going til I suss it! :D

Hmm, dare I try this, or will it turn out to be like every other cake I make (stodgy, dry and flat)

Anybody who has made it successfully - any tips? Seems 10 mins whisking the eggs is a long time, is that the key do you think? Will it brown? Sometimes I think I overcook cakes as they dont look as browned as I expect them to, so I cook them too long then ruin it. I have an electric fan over - any tips on how long I should cook for?

Any particular sweetener that people recommend for baking? I've heard Splenda mentioned a lot - is that the best one to use?

Sorry for all the Qs but my baking attempts tend to be so disastarous I'm really keen to see if theres something simple that I'm doing wrong.

hi mandy296 i whisked my eggs for 4 mins not 10 and came out fine there is a pic of my cake on last page(or might be the one b4 that not sure) it came out lovely more of a golden colour i cook with gas put it in for 11 or 12 mins but don't know much about fan oven temps, when its warm it tastes a bit eggy but when its cold taste like fat free sponge ooooh i think im going to have to make another one now lol :)

Back