12 syns - whole sponge cake!!

Mrs V

Loves Life!
Yes, thats right 12 syns for the whole cake!
I was given this recipe in class last night and I've just made it...yummy!! Its better cold than hot, as I thought it tasted a little eggy when still warm - cold, proper sponge!!! :D

Ingredients:
6 eggs
2oz self raising flour
couple drops of vanilla essence
2 tsps baking powder
6 tbsp granulated sweetner
Method
Mix the eggs and sweetner and vanilla essence in a large bowl with electric whisk, beat until it triples in volume (about 10 mins)
Sieve flour and baking powder and fold into mixture.
Share between two sponge tins and bake at 200C for about 11 mins (could be a little bit longer)

Filling:
The filling I chose (because I fancied a victoria sponge style cake)

4 tsp Hartley's Best damson Jam (All Hartley best flavoured jams are 0.5 per tsp

Absolutely delicious with a cuppa!

I cut the cake into 4 and worked it out at 4 syns per wedge - and I mean wedge!!!

woop woop, got my brother coming down on saturday so going to make this and I have been wanting cake for a few days, thanks MrsV :)

how many syns does it work out using cocoa powder i like the sound of that :)

1 oz cocoa powder is 4.5
1 oz flour is 4.5
baking powder is 0.5 per tsp.....i've never used this in my cake so don't know if it makes a difference? so that 9(or9.5) syns for the whole cake then wotever syns you use on fillings ....enjoy :D

As a big cake fan this sounds great!

What size tins did everyone use? So we are saying the whole cake is 12 syns so if I ate a quarter wedge that would be 3!!! (minus fillings obv)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back