120lbs to shed with Alizonne tightening

It's official! 8 stone gone.

The numbers haven't meant as much to me as slipping down the clothing sizes. So I've not been one to celebrate each lb shed.
However, I must admit to a quiet satisfaction this am.

I should shift a further 2-3 stones to be 'normal' but won't do so now, as I feel great and don't want looser skin. So I'm phasing off - the Alizonne re-feed process, a route to maintenance which reintroduces new food groups over 6-8 weeks. My BMI will fall below 30, though I am not sure if I'll get to the target of just into the 11s - which would be another 1st 5,5lbs. I do know that I'll get out of obese into just plain overweight with a BMI under 30. Accoring to Minimins, my starting BMI was 48.3, and I was over 50% body fat. Not any more!

Yea! Happy to be taking my much more shapely body on a bike over to Ma in law's to help her get up.

So pleased for you AliGal - 8 stone is a fantastic amount and you must feel so much healthier and able to do more (like cycling over to your MIL's!). I never realised how dibilitating the extra weight was for me.

Enjoy the rest of your journey and do keep us updated!

Hi everyone, I'm into my 6th week on alizonne & am over the moon as I'm 29lbs lighter :) the problem is I was given incorrect info regarding the pricing through the phases & as a result I can only afford to stay on the programme for another 7 weeks. I intended to join weight watchers afterwards & be extra sensible (as I've just ordered my wedding dress!!) - does anyone know what will happen if I just stop the programme & start calorie counting? I don't want to put back on all of the weight I've lost, but as mentioned I was misinformed of the pricing in phase 2 :( I'd like to lose another 5 stones in total. please help!! I just don't know what to do.
Thanks peeps, love Em xxx

PS: I can only afford another 7 weeks on the phase 1&2 parts, I'll be fine once it drops by £100/per week - I just don't know whether to finish phase 2 by 7 weeks time or what? I'm so stuck!! Xx

I haven't done Alizonne but if it were me I'd explain the position at the clinic and ask for their advice. Failing that perhaps move into one of the other VLCDs on the market that aren't as costly. You won't get the treatments etc that Alizonne offer but there are quite a number of people who have used various VLCDs with great success. I wouldn't just 'stop'. You should really go through a gradually refeeding exercise otherwise you may gain weight if you just move onto something like WWs.

Thanks so much bordersgirl - that makes sense! Like you say, Im just scared of undoing all of my hard work. I still have loads of food sachets left so I've been having 3/4 a day and adding a healthy, no carbs (if possible) dinner - so far I've lost 1lb, so I'm happy!! In a couple of days I'll swap my soup sachet for a awW one & continue like that, but I'll phone the clinic & speak to them too! Thanks again, love Em x

Hi, Emma. Stop with the 'scared'. That won't help you. Put a plan in place to help you proceed so you can manage in your budget. Go and talk to your clinic. The alizonne is great as the ultrasound will help you empy fat cells like yr belly, so why not continue using the ultrasound, and move onto another vlcd when you you need to. Alizonne is great as you get the medical supervision, shaping and skin tightening and get a medgem so know exactly how many calories you caneat a day and maintain. However other vlcds work well for weight loss too. maybe you can find a gymn that will do this for you.

Don't add real food whilst you still have budget for ultrasound as that will slow you. Make a plan with your clinic.

The most important thing is to phase off and manage your weight. So whether you phase off now or later, do it slowly and carefully. that is actually the start of maintaining a long term healthy weight. Good luck with however you manage this.

Ali

I am in size 14 jeans and an wearing size 14s and 16s, depending on the brand. I love my new wardrobe which include knee length boots. I've found TK Maxx in rich areas in London is a great hunting ground - much better than TK Maxxs in county towns. I just got the most lovely suiting (fitted dress, trousers and jacket) from Damsel in a dress online sale that looks great with my curves. I'm wearing my high heeled shoes again. No new shoes apart from my boots - just rediscovering my existing shoes.

I have left my goal here at just under 12 stone - though I am 13st 5lbs and stable. I decided that loosing the last stone and a bit would leave me with skin looser than I am willing to accept. I am now phased off and manintaining ok. I weigh daily and sometimes a little down or a little up - not more than a lb or so variation. I continue to have good sized lunchtime salads, lots of veggies and manage my portion sizes. I sometimes have a shake - especially if getting up really early for work, or having a meal out later in the day. I haven't returned to drinking alcohol - so will keep that for very special occasions. It seems a poor use of calories!

This is the begining of the next bit - learning to sustain my new way of living and eating. It requires as much vigilance and attention as the weight shedding bit. I love how I feel and how good I look. My whole energy has changed and I intend to keep it that way.

That's fantastic Aligal. You have done so well to lose so much weight. I think it is important to recognise that this is not the end- I am hoping that slim and save gets me into more healthy habit, smaller portion sizes and reduces my cravings for cakes etc- What is the point in working so hard to just undo it! Keep us updated on your maintenance.

Thank you, iwillbethinagain. It makes me smile that you feel fat at a weight way below where I feel slinky! I guess it's in comparison to being so overweight when I started.

What a difference a year makes. I've just been at a 3 day training and things are so different. My fellow attendees didn't know I have made a major transformation. I know for sure that people couldn't tell unless I told them. I declare myself 'normal'!!

I loved having my funky wardrobe and wore dresses two days and jeans on the last day. I've shopped my own closet for shoes - enjoying wearing shoes that I had been too fat to wear recently. I also wore my knee length boots. I haven't had boots since I stopped riding in my early 20s. I love my boots!

On Saturday, I wore a dress with ankle boots. I didn't recognise my legs in the mirror in my hotel room. I spent a while telling myself that yes - those are my legs, and yes - that is my shape now, and that it looks good for a woman in her 50s. It's my way of having my head catch up with my new reality. It's been 30 years since I last looked like this, and I didn't appreciate my body then. So speaking it out loud, whilst it may seem barking to you, is aligning my head and body. I am comfortable telling myself what I would say if I were my own best friend - I look great.

I noticed other things have changed. In addition to a completely new wardrobe, my habits are different. A year ago, I'd probably have had a biscuit at every break, milk in my coffee and lunches with puddings or maybe sandwichs and probably crisps, as a sort of celebration of being at a good conference.

Now, I drink my coffee black and had yogurt, fruit or a shake in my bag as snacks. I had planned ahead and brought the snacks with me and knew where the supermarket was for buying some lunch. I only shopped there once - turkey pieces, fennel and ripe tomatoes made a delicious lunch. I also brought some yogurt and had that in the afternoons. Other people noticed I was making different choices from the herd, and seemed envious that I had good things to eat. It felt good to plan, and I liked my choices.

Eating out: I went for a couple of meals with fellow delegates and feel comfortable asking for variations to the menu - eg steamed veg instead of roasted. I've been out to other meals since phasing off and sometimes have ordered starters as main courses. Once I realised I didn't have enough so ordered more veg. I had pudding one night, and suprised myself by only eating half of it. I was always brought up to clean my plate. And with something as delicious as that pudding, I would never have left any preAlizonne. Now, I am the kinda gal who drinks a half glass of delicious wine sometimes and often doesn't drink. Now I'm the kinda gal who left half a pudding cos I checked in with myself and realised I'd had sufficient.

Occasionally there's a bear trap - like unexpected salad on the plate drenched in dressing. then it's a decision - eat it or leave it. Sometimes I eat some or all of it and adjust later. Other times, I don't eat the bear trap bit, or send it back.

So I have got better at clarifying with the waiters about how things are served. I nearly always ask for sauces/gravies/dressings to be on the side so I can manage how much I have. On sunday I had a roast dinner in a pub - and was struck by how heavy on carbs it was - and how small the portion of mixed veg was. So I left a lot of mashed potato and some roasties. I ate the large meat portion as I reasoned I'd be driving home during suppertime. I felt overful and uncomfortable afterwards. I would not have found the meal large pre-Alizonne.

I have also had a few 'bingey' moments. For example, I bought some wafer biscuits for my DH. I then opened the pack to have a couple, and ate over half the pack - a bit mindlessly. My DH noticed and was ever so kindly concerned. He really really likes having his wife back. In fact having a slinkier wife than the wife he married. So he sweetly said that if there was anything that I didn't want in the house, he'd be happy to be without it. The really sweet thing was that he didn't criticise me , or indeed even comment that I'd eaten over half the pack. He did say that he wanted to support me in maintaining as I had done such a good job and it would be a shame to reverse it. I asked him to take the rest away.

I am not self controlled with a pack of sugar free sweeties, but am ok with chewing gum. I've got over the 0% greek yogurt thing. I love it - but it's not nearly as good 'value' in terms of calories as reular low fat yog. So I've been choosing that most days.

You know, some things call to me and others don't. So I am learning what calls to me. Who knew that oatcakes with stem ginger are a compulsive thing for me? Or those fruity ryvita..... I now know - so they'll rarely be in our shopping.

I've learnt that at home or out, I need to consistently remind myself to be mindful about my choices. I realise I can be bingey on chicken or ham - so it's not just sweet things. Eating off a plate and sitting down is essential.

I think of this stage as being on probation. I've had a body reset and it's early days. I'm learning new ways of being and living, and noticing any slides into old behaviours. Dukan has a weeks 'probation' or consolidation for every pound lost. If I were a Dukaner, I'd be on consolidation for 2 years. That underlines to me that AZ ain't done when you phase off. It's just the begining of the next bit. And the next bit needs mindfulness, monitoring and conscious decisions.

I weigh myself daily when I'm at home. I phased off without reaching my target as I didn't want to have surgery. I almost certainly would have had a tummy flap if I'd lost 10 stone. I feel and look good at size 14 or 16 depending on the brand. My skin is loose in places - so I'm not going to slink around in a bikini. It's a physical scar caused by being so very fat. And I have resolved to be happy with where I am. My current weight feels right to me, and I am very happy with my results. I vary by a couple of lbs - without much reason. The GP suggested weighing weekly. For me, that's too scary. Daily weighing keeps me honest.

I also notice that I use the stairs, not the lift. I park far away from the door and walk. In London, I don't take taxis and use the bus, tube or shanks' pony. I was boogeying to some great music they had when we returned to sessions at the conference. I move more and with ease. I even move differently - sveltely - no longer plodding along...... sometimes consciously and sometime unconsciously I have more spring in my step.

I have a dream or goal page - a piece of A4 I pasted 10 months ago with inspirational things I wanted - pictures and words from magazines. When I made it, I really really doubted I would reach a 'normal' weight or look like the lady in the shower, a picture I'd pasted on the page. I would look at it daily and hope. I just did what I was told and month by month, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, I shed weight that I thought was mine forever. I have had to shed some concepts - like I am a BBW or a big strong woman and adopt new ones - I am a lovely strong woman, for example.

I have learnt it is so much better to decide what I want, to embrace my choices and not b**tch, moan or whinge about it. It works for me - using supportive language and not saying 'I must' or 'I ought'. So I invite you to find the joy in your choices.

I believe that that you get what you think - so if you think you can do it, you can. If you think you can't, you won't. So manage your thoughts. I'm not suggesting you ignore the inconvenient or tough things. Yup, it sucks to have to go to the loo every hour or so in the first weeks. Nope - many sachets don't taste fabulous. And those things are worth accepting as you are choosing to live longer and with more ease and grace, rather than lumbering around at risk or early death or stroke or whatever.

For me, one of the most interesting thing is that I didn't realise how disabled I was by the weight I carried until I had lost it. It was so much part of my normality that I couldn't know what it would be like to be at a normal weight.

I've lost 8 stone or 50kg, 37.5% of my starting weight, and dropped 18 BMI points to a BMI of 30.

I walk faster and am more active. I am as committed to staying this weight as I was to shedding the excess. In my view, I need to keep paying as much attention to maintaining as I had years of putting on a bit of weight each year. So I have put myself on probation - I need to demonstrate to myself that I consistently make good decisions about my way of eating and living. Sometimes I don't. That's Ok - as I notice and decide how to avoid that error again.

Now it's a case of rinse and repeat. To show up each day as the best size 14 slinky svelte Ali I can be. How lucky I feel to be sharing this journey with the Alizonne and Minimins friends I've made, met in person and see on MFP & mumsnet too. I feel that your company and support is essential to my maintenance.

25_coolguy.gif
I know most dieters here have 3 or 4 stone to shed. For those of you who have much more to shed, it seems a long haul, especially at the start. And when people who start after you, phase off. However, the months and stones/kgs roll by. What seems interminable passes. And it does. Sometimes slowly sometimes faster. Sometimes grumpy and sometimes tired. Sometimes elated and sometimes joyful and excited. You too can have a body reset. It's a great opportunity, and if like me, you have struggled through various diets and rogrammes, it's pretty miraculous to be here safely and happy.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

What a great post and lovely to read! I'm also in the process of making choices I wouldn't have made before - it's amazing how many cafes only sell carb loaded food - I never use an escalator where I have a choice and I work out intensively 4 times a week (and most shockingly enjoying it!). I'm currently a little bigger than I would like to be - I'm a 12 and I was a 10 at goal. But I'm happy to keep mindful with my food and slowly reduce it back down again. It's so wonderful to here how well you are getting on and how you are managing. Thanks so much for the reminders about eating mindfully - I think that's the key for me.

Hi AliGal, what s lovely post. I notice that you don't post on here as much but when you do, you do it with a bang!!!

Oh how I wish you had written this post months ago when I was near goal and ignorant of the pains of maintaining. Alas my bad habits and has seen me gain and struggle to get back to what I once was.

It is very true that losing the weight is only half the battle. Maintaining and adopting a new way of life is the second and most important half of ones transformation. So it's great to hear how you are tackling this.

I understand your desire to attain your own personal target weight and not prescribe to what is widely published. I too am also coming to the realisation that what I'm told I should weigh is not necessarily what is right for me. To be comfortable in your own skin is what we should all be aiming to achieve, regardless of what the scales say. A positive, healthy outlook is the order of the day ?.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the new you. You deserve to after all your hard work. Keep up the good work. Your truly are an inspiration.

Hey Ali, that's a really insightful post and it's good to see you comfortable in your own skin and feel good about yourself. As for me I'm not making any progress towards losing my last few pounds. I seem to gain and lose the same half stone consistently but never make it below my lowest at 11 stone 2. I'd love to make it to the 10s but this last half stone is my nemesis at the moment. I know I could lose more if I went back on a VLCD again, even for a month, but I know I'm not in the right head space for that currently. Maybe sometime in the future with a specific motivation to give me that extra push. On the other hand I feel reasonably comfortable in my own skin. I went to a business meeting yesterday and flew for the first time in what seems like a long long time. Last time I flew I was anxious about the seatbelt fitting whereas this time I could sit in the seat with inches to spare - I didn't even touch the sides :). On the food front I didn't have a fantastic time as I didn't make the wisest choices at the hotel, although I didn't drink any alcohol (I had water or diet coke instead) and previously I would have had alcohol on top of bad choices. Alcohol is still very definitely something for high days and holidays and whilst I enjoy it I don't miss it the rest of the time like I thought I might. It was a big part of my life before but I don't need it to be now.

I hadn't seen most of the people who work from that office in almost a couple of years. Well before I started the diet and I received no end of compliments. It seems that I've been this weight for a long time now, so it feels surprising that people are still complimenting me on my losses. I met new people too. People who only know me at my current weight and never knew the old me. I'm glad that people don't know the old me as I'm embarrassed about my size before. I shudder when I think how big I had become. With a new slinky dress, high heels with a small platform, and smart jacket I felt really good and presentable. It's this feeling that I need to bottle and remember, and hope that it reminds me why I want to maintain my weight and inspires me.

I haven't found a sudden love for exercise but I do walk up stairs now, don't mind walking places instead of seeing where I can park closest, and just generally feel like getting around is not a chore that I'd like to avoid. We went to the Highlands at the end of September and I walked up and up and up and was barely out of breath, plus I enjoyed it too. Pre diet I wouldn't have tried, but if I had I would have been huffing and puffing with every step.

At home I have to watch what I buy. Packets of biscuits still aren't good for me to have round the house as I keep dipping into them. Even when I buy the plainest biscuits I can find (rich tea) I still want to eat the whole packet. It's about knowing your issues and dealing with them. And even if we do have the occasional lapse it's about learning from it and making better choices next time round. If it were easy we wouldn't have been the sizes we were to start with.

I'm weighing about twice a week now. When I was on the VLCD it was 3 times per day, and then when still losing regularly I weighed daily. Now that I seem to have stabilised at a particular weight give or take a few lbs I've reduced the weighing to a couple of times a week to check that I haven't suddenly gained. If I stop weighing I know I'll be in denial.

I look forward to hearing your experiences in maintenance. It's good to see people going through the same thoughts both good and bad, and coming out the other side the same size as they went in :). Between you, Weasey and myself we have lost 2 people of my current size! Astonishing, and what a difference a year makes!

Ali found you again! Congratulations on your success! And thank you so much for sharing your journey! A fantastic post they can only but help and inspire anyone wanting to lose any amount of weight and ultimaltey maintain.

Alas I took the long route and did vlcd for the last time and have now started re-introducing food with a view to shedding around 14 lbs and maintaining. This I think will be the hardest part - it already is! However, I never want to regain the 23 or so pounds I have lost so far and I know I have to make careful choices and watch my portions.... Just took me a while to figure it out!

Once again well done! X

No offence but...how do you afford it?! It's £200 a week... That's £11200 a year. Half of what the average person makes a year!

Back