Extra Easy 20 syns per day?

I can see the logic of that advice, as Syns are usually the thing you cut back on the nearer you get to goal weight, you don't want to be cutting back on superfree or too much on the free stuff either.

I'm a "heavy weight" member and my C told me I could have upto 25 syns a day! I've always stuck to 15 like everyone else, I too can't see how having extra 'naughtiness' will benefit my weight loss plus I'm not sure I could even eat an extra 10 syns on top of everything else we get to eat. I usually use my syns for Mayo, gravy, salad dressings etc but know if I had the 25 I'm allowed I would probably drink more wine and I don't want to get into the habit of doing that! X

I was advised by my consultant to aim for AROUND 15 syns so some days I have hit 20 and some 10 or even less!!
So similair but worded diferently, I think anyway!!

I am 5ft 10 and on the start I was 18 stone 12.5lbs so very similair start!!

Last edited:
I may be wrong but i'm sure it says somewhere in the books that if you have over 3 stone to lose then you may have more then 15 syns and still lose weight, i think it also says this should be discussed with your consultant. I assumed that it was because if your bigger you burn slightly mor calories hefting all that weight around and i guess that following the plan & having 20 syns must still be better then whatever you were eating before to have got so big... So therefore you can still see a weight loss with 20 syns if your bigger. I confess i've always stuck to 15 (well, tried to!!) and its only what i read i don't think the consultant has ever mentioned it in group but i haven't discussed my target as i haven't really set one yet so maybe it come up then?

I assure you I could easily eat 20 syns a day and still be eating far more healthily than I was before!! :eek:

my friend, when she started, was told she could have up to 25 a day.

i started 1lb heavier than her (i was 22st 7) and my C told me it was 15. I was a little bit miffed at first- cus dammit i wanted the extra 10!

But when I figured out that I didn't need it, and the 10 syns saved would mean a better weight loss, i was content.

I was happy with 15 syns max a day. Now, and I've been like it for a while, I hardly ever go over 10. That's because there is so much free food out there, I just fill up on that.

I struggle to see how having extra syns at a bigger weight helps much, to be honest. It's not hard to have a day where you have 15 syns and feel like you've indulged. There are so many meals you can make, some that take just a few minutes to prep, that are either syn free or even just a few syns.

Maybe I was just lucky to find it easy...I dunno...

I know there are plenty of super free and free foods to stop you feeling restricted but sometimes there is nothing like a controlled amount of naughtiness :)

This has given me a new perspective of syns! I'm a bit of a control freak & I love the idea of controlling how much naughty food I eat :)

I have heard of members that dont have much left to lose being advised to cut their syns but never anyone heavier being told to have more. That said, I was 17. 5 when I started and am sure that many days I had around the 20 mark. I try to stick to 15 now though as I have less to lose. x

I've never head of anyone being told to cut their syns just follow success express x

Our C tells people to cut to 10 syns just for a week if they've been struggling for a few weeks (gains/sts) & the food diary isn't revealing why. x

If food diary isn't working they should be doing an s.a.s log not cutting syns x x x

I agree, there really shouldn't ever be any reason to reduce your syns. Even if you went from 15 to 0 syns you would only save 2100 calories a week so not even enough for a 1lb loss. Reducing to 10 only saves a paltry 700 calories over a week. In those circumstances you should be looking at your free foods and asking serious questions about your portion sizes.

Back