22's to 21's!

Well, here I find myself again after over a year. I was a returnee to SW then and am now, too. Back in Feb last year I noticed on page one I was so thrilled to be in the 22s and now I'm so cross that I'm back up in them again. :rant2:

Ahh well, lets get stuck in. Time to start work again.:scale:

Anyone else in the 22s hoping to make it to the 21s?

Welcome back Ellie, it's lovely to see you, you've been missed! :)

Good luck getting back on it sweetie, I bet you'll be in those 21's in no time at all. xxx

What have you been up to in your time away from SW? You and the family all okay?

I'm still the same, I keep going in bursts, then pausing... I've been this weight for about 6mths! I keep gaining and losing the same 3-4lb over and over again, so I'm trying to get myself back on it properly now, my mum's arriving in 6 weeks and I'd love to be in the 18's by then.

Shall we get started on this then lovely? :D x

Yes, Hipps. Lets give it our all. :D I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and take this nice and steady. I panicked a bit about losing weight for a non-emergency op and that was silly. I'll manage quite well until I'm good and ready to sort my joints out and not be rushed. I put so much pressure on myself and we all know where that can lead.

As regards the rest of life, well its going very well. It was a bit rough for a time dealing with all the formal stuff that has to be dealt with after deaths in families but that's all dealt with now and the sadness is lessening.

We've really got on with the house we moved into back then and its feeling so like home now. Its perfect for us as its smaller and easy to cope with. The garden has just been done so I can manage it easily so I'm feeling really positive again.
DH is working again now and loves his new job. Its rubbish money but we don't care. It really rewarding if not a bit harrowing at time. He works with adults with autism mainly but some have slight brain damage through various causes. He is very settled there.

How have things been going for you and yours, Hipps?

Sorry to hear you've had family bereavements, how have you been coping?

Glad you're joining me on the scenic route, slow and steady is the only way I can do it, lol, I need to enjoy it or I get depressed, dieting properly seriously depresses the life out of me, so this way works for me. It's taking forever but I know I'll get there eventually. I know WE will get there! :)

Well done hubs getting a new job, sounds very challenging but rewarding, and it's good to hear he loves it.

It's all lovely here, well, you know, as long as everyone's fine (touch wood!). We're a bit skint and I could really do with a job, but I'm sure that'll happen at some point. I'm thinking about retraining in September, change of direction, not sure if I'm up to it though, we'll have to see.

Pleased to see you've got the house sorted and you're happy there, we've been in here almost 5yrs and still not got a bathroom blind up or put the kitchen shelves up or the pictures and photos on the sitting room wall, it's pure laziness I tell you, lol, but they are all on the to-do-soon list!

Do you have any plans for the summer, any short term targets to work towards? x

Last edited:
We are coping better now. Looking forward to moving forward. Thanks for asking. :)

I have to confess the last time I saw the floor underneath the stairs space is when we laid the carpet and I have to ask someone else to hang my jacket and retrieve it as I can't reach over the mound of 'things that need places.' The mound grows, too. :eek:

We got the bathroom blind up pronto when I realised how easily we could be seen through the frosted glass in the evenings. Wasn't given the neighbourhood kiddies any fodder for making fun. :p

DH too was a little concerned about retraining. He didn't really have too much choice in the end but he's so glad that he did. He rarely talked about work much before but now every morning when he gets home he tells me all about the things that happened that night. Some quite sad or shocking but most incredibly sweet and funny. I love to see him so content now.
It is quite unsettling making changes though, isn't it? I can understand how you feel.

I've another holiday to the seaside coming up in June (it was my undoing last year!) so I'd better get myself in gear to lose weight before that. I can still get in most of my summer clothes (elasticated waists are soooo forgiving:D) but I need to feel more comfy. I looked at my feet last night and they were already going puffy. Summer hasn't even started yet and they're puffier than they were all last year. :eek:

Have you been setting yourself goals to work towards or just bobbing along?

Aw, bless you. It is really difficult, it's always there, and I know it's a cliche, but try to allow yourself lots of time. xxx

Hmm, re- lack of bathroom blind, I bet I've given a few shocks/laughs! Maybe I should put that at the very top of my to-do-now list! :)

My hands and feet are always swelling up in the heat, especially when I walk anywhere and around TOTM it's really bad. Add it to the list of things we don't think about until it happens! I'm preparing for the chafing thighs next, lol!

I set loads of little goals, my next one is 19st 2.5lb for my 3.5st award at SW and then 19st 1lb which is 5st in total. I have an idea in mind of when I'd like to be a certain weight, eg- I'd like to be in the 18's for my parents visiting at the end of May and ideally I'd love to be into the 17's for the first week of the school holidays for our Butlins break, but if I don't hit them I don't mind, I just like having something to aim for. :)

What about you, do you set targets or just take it as it comes? Have you already started? What's your weigh-day? x

I've made Saturday my weigh in day and started properly yesterday. I think it will take me a bit to get totally into it again as I'm not joining SW online this time. If I feel I really need the online calculators I will sign back up again but I'm going to see. As long as I get it roughly right and the weight drops I'll be happy. I have the directory and the orange book to work from. :)

I'm not sure how to handle it this time round. Perhaps just concentrate on one award to the next. Each time I start out saying I'll take it slowly and then get impatient and lose focus when the weight sticks or goes on after holidays.

I've realised too that I always fall flat on my face when stressful situations occur (and they seem to do that often enough!) so I really need to give more attention to my coping strategies. Diving head first into the nearest biscuit barrel isn't the answer. :p

Remind me of your weigh in day, Hipps.

Trying to cook more this time round. I made a lovely Celery Soup yesterday. Very basic and economical but tasty. I might post some of my menu plans as I go and share recipes. Anything to keep me focused and enjoying it all. :D I don't fancy doing a diary but I can't see the harm in sharing stuff like that in these threads.

I found a great thread on here of a man called Pete who listed and photographed all his recipes with values. How great it that for convenience and ideas. I'll post the link when I find it. Might be helpful.
I wish my DH cooked like that. Pete said he was a pensioner and has to be mindful of the pennies but he did amazingly. Some frugal recipes are always handy, aren't they?

I've made Saturday my weigh in day and started properly yesterday. I think it will take me a bit to get totally into it again as I'm not joining SW online this time. If I feel I really need the online calculators I will sign back up again but I'm going to see. As long as I get it roughly right and the weight drops I'll be happy. I have the directory and the orange book to work from. :)

I'm not sure how to handle it this time round. Perhaps just concentrate on one award to the next. Each time I start out saying I'll take it slowly and then get impatient and lose focus when the weight sticks or goes on after holidays.

I've realised too that I always fall flat on my face when stressful situations occur (and they seem to do that often enough!) so I really need to give more attention to my coping strategies. Diving head first into the nearest biscuit barrel isn't the answer. :p

Remind me of your weigh in day, Hipps.

Trying to cook more this time round. I made a lovely Celery Soup yesterday. Very basic and economical but tasty. I might post some of my menu plans as I go and share recipes. Anything to keep me focused and enjoying it all. :D I don't fancy doing a diary but I can't see the harm in sharing stuff like that in these threads.

I found a great thread on here of a man called Pete who listed and photographed all his recipes with values. How great it that for convenience and ideas. I'll post the link when I find it. Might be helpful.
I wish my DH cooked like that. Pete said he was a pensioner and has to be mindful of the pennies but he did amazingly. Some frugal recipes are always handy, aren't they?

Ohhh, Ellie, you should do a diary, go on, it'd give us all somewhere to chat properly. :) It'd also make you accountable each week. x

I've bookmarked Pete's recipes after scrolling through and finding some meals I'll be trying very soon, so thanks for that.

I usually weigh on a Monday, but I was thinking of going to the Tuesday class for a few weeks to see how that goes, but I'm already thinking I might just go tomorrow, I'm so indecisive!

Half stone awards sounds like a great way to go, just try to take it as it comes lovely and don't put any pressure on yourself either way. xxx

Its the accountability part that worries me! :p

Well yesterday was a muck up. Missed breakfast because was running late. Didn't do too badly for lunch as just had the last of my Celery soup I'd made. Late afternoon had egg on toast. This was no normal egg either, it was like a dinosaurs egg! No kidding it was massive. A goose egg from a farm and I hadn't a clue what to do with. I nearly fainted when DH told me he'd paid £1 each for them. :eek:
It really was lovely. He got me duck eggs, too. (which is what I'd sent him there for) and a doz hens eggs. We fancied a treat as we're always economising. Sometimes you just have to give yourself a break, don't you? :)

Anyway, I got this idea in my head that I'd only had soup and egg on toast for my meals (even if the egg on toast would have served a family of 3!) so I was easily led into having a bacon sandwich for supper, along with a clotted cream ice cream cornet. :eek:

Actually, it wasn't on plan but it wasn't quite as bad as I thought when I write it all down. I had 3x toasts with my egg from a 400g loaf.

Why are you wanting to change classes? Is the Tuesday one better or is it based on when you prefer to weigh in?

Ah, but accountability might keep you on track! :)

My dad has hens and geese (and ducks until the last ones were stolen!) but I've always been too scared to try the goose and duck eggs! Sounds like not too bad a day really, just pretend the bread was ALL HE's and the only syns were your ice-cream, lol. If I think I've messed up I go, "Oh, what the hell...", and eat what I like, but if I kid myself I wasn't too bad really then I keep going. It's all about the mind games for me!

Monday feels too close to the weekend. I start to worry about WI from Saturday night, which on the one hand it means I'm a little more careful, but on the other hand I'm sick of spending the weekend thinking about it. I'd prefer a Friday evening/Saturday morning class so I could enjoy the weekends (and have all week to make up for it!) but all the classes here are earlier in the week.

I've stayed the same weight for so long now, I just keep thinking of ways to get it moving, so changing Weigh-day and stuff is all part of it, a change is as good as a rest and all that, but actually, deep down, I know it's not about the day or the time I weigh-in, it's just about sticking to the bleedin' plan!

I'm off to WI this afternoon but I know I've gained (on my scales) again this week, which is always a bit demoralising. I'll have to fight hard against the "Oh, what the hell...", mentality that always comes with a gain for me, but I'm determined I'll stay on the plan and properly, not in the half-arsed way I usually do it. :)

Hipps, just look at your stats. Then look at mine. You stuck it out and I didn't. You might have your ups and downs but you didn't walk away. I know its hard because I've had a break and you've kept plodding but you WILL get this weight off if you tough it out. Even treading water for a time is better than plonking it all back on. ;)

I've an idea..... you start a diary. :D That way you can shoulder all the accountability and I can slink off for a couple of days around my weigh in so I don't have to fess up and no one will be the wiser. :sign0151:

Seriously, just get weigh in over and done with, face whatever the scales dish out and then start afresh. Its the only thing we can do.
As regards weigh in days, I chose Saturday as a compromise for exactly the reasons you gave. One time I used to weigh in on a Friday and it did work kind of well but it is an extra day to have treats.
As the weight really started to come off I did stop picking over the weekend simply because I was so excited at the changes. I don't really know what happens to muck it up. Perhaps its that people start to notice and I'm worried if I fail again, so then I do. :confused: Crazy, isn't it? You're right, it is all about mind games. I've never thought to make them work in my favour before, though. Maybe my problem is I'm too worried about what others will think of me. I'm waiting to mess up from the moment I start, then gain a little confidence, then when its really starting to go well for me panic that a holiday, a blip or stressful situations will end it all for me, so throw in the towel once a few silly pounds go on in a fit of defeat.
Bah I've spent years trying to work it all out. I think I'm getting there and then bamm! Still, won't give up trying. ;)

Let us know how weigh in goes, won't you? We'll call it a stone you've put on and then we'll be sure to celebrate when its less. Agreed? :p

Haha, excellent ploy, the half a pound I gained doesn't seem quite as bad now, thank you! :D You get the champagne, I'll grab the party poppers, lol.

Back to it now, I think I just need to be on plan properly for a week and get good results and I know it'll get me moving downwards again.

I know what you're saying, but I've stopped worrying about what people think, (as long as I don't hear what they think, I don't care!) so I don't feel pressure in that way now. Free yourself, tell yourself that what other people think of you is none of your business. :)

Now you know what some of your issues are, you can deal with them. You're doing this for you Ellie, not anything or anyone else, and everybody gains on holiday and people do struggle through tough times, etc, you just need to know that it's normal and it's not you 'failing', because you're great at this dieting lark, me dear, and you can't allow those negative thoughts to tell you otherwise.

Now, pep-talk over, go and get that bloody diary started! :) xxx

I'll start mine when you start yours. :8855: I'd start day one with, 'this is my planned food for today' and then start day two with ' this is the food I actually ate yesterday.' :rolleyes:

I started yesterday with my meal plan looking great on paper. Then DH was having training during the day so had his evening free (he works nights now) and suggested we went out for some late night shopping. I was good and took our tea in a box and ate it in the car (he had to go and park right next to the entrance and everyone was watching us eating :copon: ) but then while we were in there he nipped to Costa and came back, not with the straight coffee I'd requested, but with a posh, creamy iced coffee thing. Course I didn't say no. :D

Then while I was waiting alone in the car outside his friends house while he dropped something off (he was gone 20 mins talking!) I got bored and started picking through stuff in the shopping bag on the back seat before remembering I shouldn't. I genuinely forgot as I've got so used to just grazing over the months. Tut tut.

Never mind. I will try to stop worrying when I see people noticing the weight coming off and getting excited for me, stop worrying that I'll muck it up again and show myself up.

Still chuckling at you and that half pound gain. If this was the olden days you wouldn't even had known you'd put that on. We were blissfully ignorant back in the day when digitals didn't exist.
The first scales I remember ever weighing myself on actually went up in increments of 2lbs not even 1lb. Maybe common sense prevailed back then.
After all, there are 2240 ounces in 10st, many peoples ideal weight range, so 8 ounces barely registers as significant.
Naturally, that line of reasoning goes completely out the window if its a loss. :p

Okay, it's my turn for a confession this time, I've had 2 Toffee Crisps and 3 bags of crisps and it's not even 1pm! The scrambled eggs I had were fine though... :D

Haha, I remember scales in 2lb increments, you are right (of course) but I couldn't bear that now, I'm a little bit obsessed with the scales. Saying that, mine are unreliable and often say whatever they fancy and actually, I've not been on them yet today and probably won't now after my mid-morning mini binge!

You know, Ellie, I'm starting to think you don't even want to start a diary... not sure why I'm getting that vibe, lol. :)

How have you been the last couple of days? x

Oh well, seeing as you had scrambled eggs there's no reason to beat yourself up. I've known people start the day on a Fry's Chocolate Cream in the past and call it breakfast. :whistle:

Seeing as you're confessing after hearing my confession, I'll confess once more. :p DH took me late night shopping AGAIN, this time with DS as he needed a couple of things. We saw Starbucks. I just couldn't pass it by. Their frappuccinos are just to die for and I'd been a teensy bit disappointed with Costas offering yesterday, so in we went. :ashamed0005:

Okay, so why the toffee crisps, apart from them being totally, lip-smackingly delish? Bored? Tired? Fed up? Falling on your sword to protect the rest from overindulgence issues? Worried someone else would get to them first? :rotflmao: (come on, we've ALL done that one!):p

Well these past two days I've been on my scales 3 times. That's not like me. Once a week is more than enough thanks very much but nope, 3 times. Once was in disbelief after steipping on the scales the first time. Just to check it was right and I really hadn't put anything on overnight through being a piggy.
Todays was just to make doubly sure I hadn't put on after frapps two nights running. I hadn't put on. :D

You know whats going to happen? It will keep saying I've not put on and then miraculously Saturday morning a stone will have gone on overnight just because its WI day. :(

Forgot to say, what vibes would they be?? :p

Ellie... step away from the coffee! :)

I'm eating because I'm greedy and bored, oh, my goodness (or 'gooderrnesss' as LO says!) have I been bored today again! I have been terrible again, forgive me Ellie for I have (massively over-) synned! It started with one strip of Cadbury's caramel (it was all that was left and I genuinely thought that'd be my syns for the day)... then one and a half Galaxies, 3 bags of Monster Munch and fish-fingers and chips (deep fried!) for tea. Plus a cappuccino in Sainsburys and more crisps after dinner... What am I doing?

I'm starting all over again tomorrow, honest! I've bought loads of veg/salad, etc, and I'm making 'free' soup and SW quiche in the morning and having roast chicken and veg for dinner tomorrow night, all planned and I'm going to do it properly this week. Promise.

Good luck for WI in the morning, let us know how you get on. :) xxx

Back