3 or 4 packs & veg or no veg?

lorraineA

Silver Member
I started S&S after Lipotrim and was only having 3 packs a day and a multi-vitamin - this was before the new instruction came out to have chicken or fish with 3 packs so don't have these. I have never bothered with the veg either.
Recently I have been having 4 packs - sometimes a meal and a bar at lunch then the same at dinner - doesn't seem to have affected my losses having 2 bars despite the recommendation to only have 1 per day so so far so good although I am watching that element!

Reading some of your posts though about having veg has made me think whether to introduce some into my meal plan.

What do people think about the merits of 3 packs against 4 packs and also about having veg or not? Does either the extra pack and/or veg have any detrimental effect on your losses? How much veg do you get anyway for your 200g - is it worth it?

Cheers for any advice x

Last edited:
I'm on 3 packs and to start off with (first 6 weeks) I didn't have the veg. Then I had a break for a holiday and I added the veg in about 3-4 times a week when I started back. I now have veg every day and protein most days (like you said it wasn't a recommendation when I started). My losses aren't as good now as they were to start off with although having said that I had a crappy loss in week 5 when I was just on 3 packs and nothing else. I can't say whether my losses have slowed due to the veggies / protein, or whether they have slowed because I'm nearing my goal but I suspect it's a combination of the 2 things, plus I do seem to be a slow loser :(. People on here have great losses with 4 packs and veggies tho. Could I go back to 3 packs and nothing else? I know I couldn't and that the veg helps me to stick to the diet.

I don't think that 2 S&S bars would take you out of ketosis as the carb content is no higher than a normal pack but I've been having the BL bars recently that are much higher in carbs than a S&S bar and I know that 1 of those plus a extra S&S bar (making 4 packs plus veg that day) takes me out of ketosis as I did it recently and it did!

I introduced the veggies as I felt that it would help me to stick to the diet and it did the trick. As an added benefit I have found that it has helped me to learn to enjoy low calorie healthy food rather than shovelling carbs down and forgetting about the veg. 200g is a reasonable amount but not a mountain (unless it's lettuce :)).

That's a bit of a rambling reply but I hope you get the gist :)

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me such a comprehensve reply Bordersgirl - much appreciated.

I picked up a couple of BL bars recently after reading abut them on here. Got a few out of date choc crunch ones from tesco last week and thought the one I tried was vile - could have been as BB date was 31 January so threw them out.
Got a couple of mint fudge and berry fudge ones and 1 choc one to try the other night - just had the mint one and it was ok but nowhere near as nice as the S&S ones in my view.
Bit concerned re them taking me out of ketosis though. Did you have a BL bar and just 3 S&S sachets (and veg) when it brought you out of ketosis?
Just trying to make sure I don't do the same as I have had a BL bar and one soup today already.
Thanks again x

I was on 4 per day but am preferring 3 packs and protein/veg meal.I like the veg as it has added fibre and vits it also helps with the toilet ahem,also makes me feel like i am having a normal meal.

With regards to weight loss there is no change in the 12 days i have been doing it, i have sts days and lb loss days. OH was on 5 packs he is now on 4 with protein/veg and he is exactly the same.

I certainly don't feel hungrier, if anything i feel unexcited about eating at the minute.

Hope my 2p's worth helps :)

I had a shake, a BL bar, a meal with veg, and a S&S bar and I was out of ketosis. Everyone is different though and maybe I need less carbs to kick myself out of ketosis than others? Could have been the veg that sent me over the edge? Don't know but being more careful now!

I think the short dated (or just past best before date) BL bars are a bit dryer than ones with longer to go. I don't mind them like that (gives me something to chew :)) but I know many people don't like them so I would not recommend getting them from Approved Food unless you know that you like them 'crunchy' :).

Cheers BG. I think I'll chance a cottage pie and a S&S bar tonight and see what happens.
Not sure re BL bars yet - think will use up ones I bought (and the tesco ultraslim ones I got which are ok) and then stick to S&S - looking forward to seeing what the new milk choc delight bar is all about!
What sort of veg have you been having? Am still toying with the occasional day where I might have veg although I quite like just not having what I tend to think of as proper food at all while still have quite a long way to go other than a planned break coming up at end of March.
You have done amazingly well though - you must feel fab!

Thanks yes, I feel so much better now. I have mushrooms, peppers, shallots if I want a Mediterranean style dish, or broccoli, cauli, cabbage and asparagus for a more traditional style dish. Messed about with different herbs etc with the Mediterranean ones and enjoying cooking them different ways to provide variety. Going to try to keep that going when I'm maintaining and lose the carbs during the week - I don't need them!

I quite like mint so am enjoying the BL mint bars. Wasn't keen on the choc ones tho. I will be first at the gate to try new S&S bars :)

DO you get full instractions when they arrive (Is that a silly question???) Especially with regards t veg/protein.... can you have them from the start???

Sorry to go on?? Lol...

Hi Deezer, yes - you'll get an information sheet with all the instructions and nutritional values too :)
Good luck x

i have 4 packs and the veg every day

I couldnt do it without the veg , it makes me feel like Im having a proper dinner

Also , it seems to make sense to me as when im maintaining ill be having veg , so why not have them now , its retraining me how to balance a meal , or rather how a meal should look on my plate , does that sound stupid? lol

No not at all... I think veg will keep me sane!!! Lt was so restrictive!!! I've ordered my shakes!!! I'm quite excited!!!

What veg can you have... I order a organic veg box at the min but if i let them know i can pretty much ask for what i want!!

Thanks again!!! X

Good luck Deezer , im sure considering how well you have done so far you will have no problem at all with s and s , you might even enjoy it :)

Last edited:
Deezer- if you look at the top of this page, you can see the link saying program detials. That's the actual sheet you get with your order and lists all the veg and on page two how to make all of the pack! Hope that helps.

At the moment these

a maximum of 200g per day of the
following Selected Vegetables & Salad:

Asparagus,
Broccoli,
Celery,
Cucumber,
Fennel,
Gherkins,
Green Peppers,
Leeks,
Lettuce,
Mushrooms (not fried),
Rocket Salad,
Shallots,
Spinach,
Spring Onions,
Swede,
Watercress,
White Cabbage &
Yellow Peppers

although I heard on the grapevine some others are being added including cauliflower
I have red peppers sometimes too , otherwise it all looks a bit , well...green !!

Deezer- if you look at the top of this page, you can see the link saying program detials. That's the actual sheet you get with your order and lists all the veg and on page two how to make all of the pack! Hope that helps.
Thanks hun!!! X

At the moment these

a maximum of 200g per day of the
following Selected Vegetables & Salad:

Asparagus,
Broccoli,
Celery,
Cucumber,
Fennel,
Gherkins,
Green Peppers,
Leeks,