30% BODYFAT??? Body Fat Monitor Scales.

dizzy-n-mizzy

Not dieting ATM!
Hello all

I have bodyfat monitor scales, never read the instructions and don't know where they are. I've only used the scales to weigh but thought I'd check out the other stuff. I am 30% BODYFAT can anyone tell me what is the ideal for women and men actually!

Maybe one or two of you are experts on these scales.

Thank you.

Dizzy x

well saying that I dont know if it changes with age and height etc. I'm only saying what I was told for me

Thanks Kati

I had to put my age and height into the scales so probably not.

Interesting to look at this because I am around 24 BMI but this may help me finalise my goal weight.

I'll just keep an eye on it as it goes down!

Cheers girl

Dizzy x

I was told at my gym that 20% was about ideal...

God knows i am sure when i first got started it was an outrageously high number...

they measured mine from my hands...i must of had really really fat hands...

Dunno what it is now - will have to check it out.

Ivy

lol they measured mine from my hand to my foot. He just said it all depends on the time it takes to pass through the body nothing to do with how fat your hands are :)

lol they measured mine from my hand to my foot. He just said it all depends on the time it takes to pass through the body nothing to do with how fat your hands are :)

LOL.Well i am in Ireland... :) They have very funny ways.
and means

I was more fat than a triple chocolate muffin with extra chocolate drops.

Ivy

It really does depend on age

Here's a chart to check Tanita Body Fat

Cheers for that Karion, I couldn't find anything I understood when I did a search. It looks to me like my bodyfat percentage is high considering my bmi which makes me think that my frame my be smaller than I thought. I am one stone from my goal but will have to see when i get closer if I should lower my goal. Probably starting exercising would be make a significant difference.

Thanks again

Dizzy x

It's hard to judge by numbers though isn't it. My scales indicate my body fat is on the 'excellent' range for my age,
Clap1.gif
On the other hand my BMI is only just in the healthy range, verging on 'overweight'.
Sad13.gif

But...BMI doesn't take into account frame size, or muscle mass. I know my frame size is big. Big feet, big boney wrists, big head :D

I also should have quite a high muscle mass because of my history.

This is why I am always slightly disturbed by charts and decisions that are made on BMI alone.

There again, body fat scales aren't always 100% accurate either so it's all very confusing.

Some people will tell you to ditch the scales and look in the mirror. Ummm. Reckon a lot of us have body dysmorphia, so that won't work.:confused:

Might as well just ask the fairies to set our goals :D

I'm the same Karion, hats never fit, neither do ladies watches, shoes are rarely wide enough, hands the size of many mens. I think the BMI is wrong for me. At a BMI of 25 i should be 11st4lb. I think i will look anorexic!

That's true! Partly why I am looking at a whole combination of factors weight, BMI, Bodyfat, mirror, hubbys opinion, and mostly how I feel.

I haven't been doing any exercise and I think when I have done a fair bit it will be easier to gauge which bits are fat and which just need toning.

Bit disappointing to be BMI 24 and only just out of poor and in fair for body fat but after losing almost 4 stone I am happy, very happy!

Dizzy x

Last edited:
I'm the same Karion, hats never fit, neither do ladies watches, shoes are rarely wide enough, hands the size of many mens. I think the BMI is wrong for me. At a BMI of 25 i should be 11st4lb. I think i will look anorexic!

You can get a bodyframe measurement from tesco ediets just by measuring your wrist and adding in your details. When I did this previously I was medium but have just rechecked it and made my wrists measurement 1/2 cm less than before and that changed my measurement to small so maybe that is one reason why my % bodyfat is so high compared to my bmi. I may need to reduce my goal weight but I'll see when i get closer.

I don't mind being curvy but I don't want to have an unhealthy amount of bodyfat and so that is why I am focusing on it. I must join the gym soon I expect they will check it and I'm sure exercise is really going to help.

I think the scales are accurate because Mizzy's same BMI as me but has a much healthier bodyfat percentage.

Speak to you later!

Dizzy x

I just got a body fat scale ( its got lots of fancy schmany stuffs like how much of your weight is bone mass, muscle mass, water and fat). It seems to be working as durning TTOM I can see my fat and muscle mass still going down even if my my water is rising and making my weight heavier.

My goal is to not just be thin, but healthy. No point in looking like a hottie in a size 6 and then dropping dead from a heart attack. :) For me my Body fat ratio means a ton more than lbs or BMI. My friend who is a triathlete and pure muscle would be considered obese by most weight and bmi standards...go figure.

Hi Abstruse

They sound like some pretty nifty scales. I must say I want as much information about my body as i can get at the moment because the more I understand it, the easier it is to know what is good for it.

I 100% agree that this is so much more than looking good and the older I get the more important the health side is to me.

Stunning Hair!

Dizzy x

My scales are rather like that :) Not the same model, but Tanita, and do all the metabolic age, muscle mass etc.

Tis a bit more fun eh. Perhaps that's why I like weighing myself so often :D

When I first bought my scales, I read up all about the body fat readings (but my memory is poor!). I vaguely recollect seeing that it's best to weigh oneself for body fat purposes at the end of the day, rather than first thing in the morning (as we all like to do for weight purposes!).

The reason for this, I think, was that when we wake up we're dehydrated and so the body fat reading is higher...

I'll have to get on in the morning and see what the difference is for me. I also vaguely remember reading that these body fat readings aren't great measures as some of us are pear shaped, some apple shaped, and the readings don't take that into account... I remember a hand held one at the gym giving me a totally different reading to my one at home too (which obviously reads through my feet!)

Anyone know more about the science of the whole thing?

Back