3rd TOTM in 6 weeks

finnsmum

Am quite frustated as out of the 6 weeks I've been on the diet I've had 3 heavy periods. I have an implant and usually get very little if anything at all.

It's ever so frustrating and getting me down.

Is this normal for VLCD and why would it be happening?

Hi,
am not a woman or a medically trained professional and i am sure there are people on here who will give you proper advice and experience but it is a listed side effect of VLCD, adipose tissue (fat to you and me) has a lot of hormonal influence and so changing that can affect your hormones. Also you are having a reduced calorific input and that really can affect hormones to the point that you can stop having periods in extreme cases. Obvs i can understand that i am not the best person to discuss this with but please be a little reassured that it isn't abnormal. If you believe you are having extremely heavy periods then go see your doctor as there is a small chance of aneamia given the low intake and possible output.

I'm in the exact same boat :(

I have the implant to, and had 2 TOTM so far since TS.... GRRRR!! i feel your frustration. :(

random thought... have you had the implant long? i know some ladies don't get totm on the implant (like the depo) and sometimes for those that do they can give some additional pill to just top up ur progesterone levels to help in this instance and hopefully if you went to see your gp they should be supportive in helping you in any way they can!

Iv had a pretty much constant TOTM since I started the diet but I'm on the pill not the implant! Dunno if I should be worried? Xx

!!!! personal random opinion!!!! - none professional person

I don't think you should be worried but maybe you local healthcare professional might be able to help find a solution that is better as i can imagine that must be annoying to put it mildly! and when you're doing this diet you don't need added hassles!

As many others on here I'm not in the medical profession but I would advise you to contact your GP to discuss as, It could cause you anaemia if this goes on over a prolonged period of time, plus you can not just assume it is the diet causing you abnormal bleeding. Not saying there is anything wrong but it is always better to be safe than sorry believe me x x

why might you think they would tell you to get off it?
there is a lot of medical research that supports VLCD's and a lot of GP's recommend them. Only issue would be if you're not techincally overweight?

I had TOTM for the first 3 1/2 weeks non stop on this diet. Seems to have calmed down now. xxx

Seem to be having the opposite problem and been waiting on my TOTM for a couple of weeks now and hasn't come. VLCDs always mess with my periods. However, I have been bloated and feeling like it's coming any moment now, with cramps and everything, so it still sucks. x

I'm the same and it happened when I did Cambridge too. My counsellor said it was usually the opposite but it did affect some people like that. This time I've got the Mirena coil and was almost getting no totm anymore and have been on and off since the first few days of Exante. Really annoying but I know it just goes hand in hand with it for me. It will go back to normal once I stop.

Back